IGNORED

Winter time proceedures

frankc

Are there any special proceedures needed to store the Venture away for the winter? Do I need to run the carbs dry, or can I just condition the fuel? Other than keeping the battery charged, and I dont run the carbs dry, should I start it once in awhile in the winter months? Thanks in advance for the helpful information

Are there any special proceedures needed to store the Venture away for the winter? Do I need to run the carbs dry, or can I just condition the fuel? Other than keeping the battery charged, and I dont run the carbs dry, should I start it once in awhile in the winter months? Thanks in advance for the helpful information

You will probably get a million different answers to your question on this. I try to ride my bike as much as i can until it turns really cold and then when i know i wont be riding much i put stabilizer in the gas (keep your tank full if you can) and i also keep a battery tender on it too. I usually fill up a 5 gallon can of gas treated with Stabil also to keep my tank topped off. I don't start my bike once it gets brutally cold either, but once it warms up a little (45 degrees or so) i will start the bike and let it run for 10 or 15 minutes once a week or so and if at all possible i will take the bike for a quick spin even if it's around the block a couple times. I'm not saying my way is best but it seems to work for me and i have never had any problems with my carbs getting gummed up.

I do however have friends that will drain the carbs for the winter and their way works also but they still keep their tanks full of treated gas. I would say either way is fine and far better then just parking your bike without stabilizer in the fuel and hoping for the best when the riding season rolls back around. I also have friends that don't like to use stabilizer but a couple of them have ended up with gummed up carbs come spring time.

I normally put in a good dose of seafoam, prior to storage ensuring it has a chance to reach the carbs (when I can't ride for extended periods). Disconnect the battery & top up the charge, a fully charged battery will not freeze. Running the engine during winter, without letting it reach max temp (fan kicking in), can result in condesation & milky oil.

:2cents:

I usually change the oil so that theres less settling of residue, and put it on the battery tender.

Not sure about the draining the carbs thing. I'm by no means a mechanic, but I feel that leaving them full of treated gas reduces the chance of condensation or rust. Any one of you more mechanical types feel free to pipe in here/

I have always kept the tank full (so you wont get any condensation which leads to rust)with some sort of gas stabilizer, Seafoam or Stabil. Run it into the carbs to keep them from varnishing. Put it on a battery tender and keep it there. I have always tried, if the weather permits, to ride on January 1st. Also whenever the weather will break and there isn't any salt on the road and they have been dry for a few days.....98 cents less than a buck

:2cents:

Yeppers...condition the gas and keep the tank full. Starting for a few minutes does no good

It is important for your battery to keep some sort of charge on it..either a trickle charge or hook it up once a month to get it back up.

I found out last year that a new battery will get killed if left alone over the winter!

I think everyone agrees that a full tank of fuel with stabilizer is essential.

The motorcycle draws a bit of power even when switched off so a battery tender or disconnect and charge every month or so.

Fresh oil for storage so you don't have acids eating away at things.

Personally, I don't drain carburetors. Run stabilized fuel in then re top off the tank.

One thing that hasn't been mentioned. If you don't get the weight off the tires they should be inflated to their maximum pressure and the motorcycle should be moved regularly to avoid having the tires take a set where they deform at the contact patch.

I'm not big on anything that has to do with maintenance.

I don't wash the bike until I can't remember what the color is but I do occasionally clean the windshield.

So as you might guess I don't do much for winter time storage, sometimes I take the key out but one winter I lost the key before spring.

All kidding aside (am I kidding?) all I do is fill the tank with fuel and keep a charger on the battery. Some Seafoam is also nice.

Jerry