IGNORED

Car tire and Gas Mileage

footsie

I am new to this site and learning to navagate it.

I was wondering if the car tire would affect the gas mileage on the venture. I have a 2000 Venture and have ordered a federal 165/80/15 for the rear.

This is my daily rider because of its great gas mileage, to and from work, so I am curious if anyone has noticed in change in their mileage after mounting a ct on the venture.

I also own a 1997 valkyrie with a 205/60/16 on it and the ct did drop it mileage a couple of miles per tank, it only gets 27 mpg anyway. guess you can't have gut wrenching power and fuel economy together. I would also like to say that all this concern about the twisties, my valk is far more sure footed with the ct. I have to be careful not to tear the pegs off in sharp curves. I had to get use to it but now there is no way I would put a mc tire back on the rear.

Thanks for allowing on your site.

Gregg

Freedom of the road for all.:scubadive::Venture::223:

Edited by footsie

Hey this is like Deja-Vu all over again... I'm new to the CT with 2500 miles but while I'm getting more confidence with it I find I have to lean the bike over further to make the same curve/corner... So as a result I'm scraping my floorboards more... I used to push my RSV pretty hard but have backed off somewhat worried about touching down in a high speed sweeper... Be careful mounting that Federal and try to keep it under 100 lbs. some guys on the Delphi Dark Side Forum are claiming their tires have exploded over 100 lbs damaging rims and 1 tire guy broke his hand...

From what I gather the MC 15" rim is quite a bit smaller than a Car rim... More so than the 16" rim... Not sure if this is true but that's what I've been hearing.. Good Luck

Hey this is like Deja-Vu all over again... I'm new to the CT with 2500 miles but while I'm getting more confidence with it I find I have to lean the bike over further to make the same curve/corner...

That's normal Physics. the wider Tire the more lean Angle you need to make the Corner at the same Speed. And with the CT not moving it's Thread like an MC Tire, i'm willing to bet with that 165mm CT you need the same lean Angle as with at least an 200mm MC Tire.

After installing the Kumho on mine I'd like to see someone order a Vredestein and see if it is any better. I just knew I was going to blow the Kumho up. It took 112-115lbs to seat the last side. And the sidewall felt pretty flimsy before I mounted it.

I still haven't ridden yet. Too much "life" happening. :confused24:

Bigboy it looks like you and me with the Kumho... I have 2500 and it's going OK... I started at 32 Lbs but got a wiggle when pushing hard in 3rd and a Wobble at 85-90... I boosted it to 40 lbs no wobble and very slight wiggle under hard acceleration.. Gonna check steering head and swing arm bushings this winter... I have 70K on my 03

my voy gets 50 mpg at 60 mph 42 at 75 to 80,50 + below 60 mph,while in canada, i got close to 60 mpg,thank there gas is a little better,the 155/80/15 has 24000,0n it now,and yes it seams to drag the pegs more in sweeper,and amplifes the unever road condition,at lower speed,say 0 to 20 mph,my next ct[if i ever wear this one out],i will take it to a tire dealer,and have the outside tread ground down to more like a mc tire

PS low air pressure,and the ct realy get squrirrely,in sweepers

.... If I install a 150 Radial front tire how will that effect handling??

What remaining "handling" you're exactly talking about ?? :big-grin-emoticon:

Straight line will be fine with some quirks and minor Issues in the Suspension because of the radial Tire won't have the same Self Dampening Ability like a bias Ply has. Me thinks you will see chattering and small but very noticeable Hits going over a Bump on the Road.

Now cornering, i'd suggest to buy some Cans of Spinach :big-grin-emoticon::big-grin-emoticon::big-grin-emoticon:

Seriously, i think cornering will not be as 'easy' as you're used to. Either longer Bars or a good Practice in counter Steering will be in order. Maybe both. Not to mention that it makes no Sense to squeeze a radial Tire on Rim that is dimensioned for a bias Tire. It's just too narrow to make the Advantages of a radial Tire work. Therefore, this could end up anywhere inbetween 'makes no Sense but costing Money' and 'it's dangerous to ride'.

Technically, for a wider and radial front Tire, there are not so much Things on the good Side and the bad Side gets some Points added up, but it might work for you anyway. Another Thing, if you choose a Tire which is more on the sticky Side, you can really mess up the overall Behaviour of the Bike, if it's too sticky on the front you can end up highsiding very fast. Tires(CT or not) on Motorcycle should work as an Ensemble in unison, if one of them is loosing Grip a Lot earlier than the other, this Adventure will end up with scratched Parts and bent Crash Barsat least.

You know my Opinion on Car Tire on a Motorcycle and i'm not going to hide it. I know it works for some Folks, but technically there are Lot Things against doing so and it can get dangerous. My personal Riding Style is contrary to the use of a Car Tire anyway.

That's normal Physics. the wider Tire the more lean Angle you need to make the Corner at the same Speed. And with the CT not moving it's Thread like an MC Tire, i'm willing to bet with that 165mm CT you need the same lean Angle as with at least an 200mm MC Tire.

I think the weight of the rider has a lot to do with the lean angle as well. I know on a personal level I seem to need a deeper 'lean' to cut the same arc that a lighter rider takes..

I think the weight of the rider has a lot to do with the lean angle as well. I know on a personal level I seem to need a deeper 'lean' to cut the same arc that a lighter rider takes..

Not the pure Weight seen as a Load, but a Guy fat as i am has more Weight in the upper Body than a small and tiny Rider overall. So, it's the Weight Distribution what makes the Difference.

Squeeze I didn't know where you stand on CTs... I guess I do now tho... I just assumed anyone following the Darksiders forum was either into it or interested in trying it.

I was talking about going back to the stock size 150/80-16 front tire in a radial Motorcycle tire... I'm running the smaller 130/80-16 Avon Bias tire now... I'm thinking running radial tires front and back might improve handling and was asking your opinion.. The 150 is not an oversized tire on the RSV

For the record... I don't get this "muscling" thing in respect to counter steering.. My RSV takes a gentle nudge on the bar side I want to turn... Not much effort at all MC or CT... I just have to nudge a little more with the CT cuz it needs more lean... I can do it with one hand without hardly any effort... Can you explain this Muscling thing to me I never got that.

BTW I consider myself a pretty aggresive rider (for a RSV anyways) but have been taking it kinda easy learning this CT thing.

Yeah I'm a Fat Guy too... 6'3" 315 lbs

I'm following the Darksiders because of my technical Interest in any Sort of Mods. I'm not denying that i clearly stand on the other Side of the Fence but that's mostly because there are Issues i cannot accept. Technically, it works for some Folks, you Guys are the living Proof of that, i sincerely hope this stays this way. I'm not talking about dying in a fiery Crash here, but Riding is dangerous enough even without riding a flat Threaded Tire on the rear of a Motorcycle.

I'm sorry, i know the RSV has the 150 Tire as stock, but i didn't compute that when i read about changing from a 130 to a radial 150 Tire.

Most of my Comment still stands as i wrote it, except for the narrow Rim. I think the

Rim is 4 Inches wide, so the radial 150 on such a Rim will give you most of it's Advantages.

The Muscling Story .... As a Matter of Fact, most Riders don't do Counter Steering. They corner the Bike with shifting Weight, some use a bit of Force on the Pegs to help the Bike getting into an lean Angle. If you ride with such a Style and aggressive on Top of that, you 're just worn out before the End of the Day, because you need a more Force to bring the Bike into changing Direction. That Force need to Power of the Rider. I think when you proceed counter Steering you won't need a Lot of extra Force, just a little more lean Angle than before, because of the wider Tire on the front.

I've heard a number of people say that they get better mileage with a CT. I was hoping I'd see the same thing, but no luck. I still get exactly the same as I always did.

Hey, that '97 Valk wouldn't be a red and white one, would it? That's my favorite color combination. (I wonder why.) Post some pics up. It's the only real rule we have around here.

No mine is Yellow, I painted it and the wife's magna to match, she wanted yellow.

But I agree red and white is the best looking bikes.

The guys talking about the ct being flat is kinda not an issue to me, I have always liked mc tires best in the last few miles when they had a nice wide flat area worn into them.

The current tire on my Venture is a 150/90/15 maxis as is just about worn out.

After removing the rear wheel from the bike this evening I measured the flat area, was 4 inches, and was riding and handling fine but was thin and almost slick.

As I said my valkyrie's ride, cornering and stopping ablities were only improved by the ct, I can find no adverse effects. So a new 165/80/15 goes on the venture in the morning.

I have found the info here to be helpful, will try the suggested psi.

thanks for all the opinions, enjoy reading everyone's, even the ones I don't agree with.

freedom of the road for ALL :scubadive: thanks, GREGG

I've heard a number of people say that they get better mileage with a CT. I was hoping I'd see the same thing, but no luck. I still get exactly the same as I always did.

I went from 40-43mpg with the MT's, to 47-50mpg with the CT....

That's at running speeds of 55-65mph...I get a couple mpg variance over a 10 mph range.

When I get up over 65..it heads down hill. At 70mph...I get about 44-45, over 80 mph and it goes down to 38-40.

It depends on the weather, traffic, and road condition. On a hot day in moderate traffic on fairly flat roads...the mileage is usually lower...On a cooler day under the same traffic and road conditions...there a couple mpg improvement.

I don't care what you put on the rear...if you hot rod...you'll get lousy mileage.

It is a carburetor, V-4 ya know...

I got the 165/80/15 nexum, the supplier did not have the federal in stock so my tire dealer got the nexum. After we got it mounted we measure the flat area its about 4 inches, the same width as the maxis mc tire was.

We put 40 psi as some had suggested, I rode it and the only difference I could tell is the bikes rides better, but no changes in performance.

We rode the hardest curves near by, I could tell no difference from the mc tire, bike handled perfectly.

I did notice out on the interstate, the bike is more stable where the pavement is groved and unlevel, does not try to follow the groves anymore. I consider it an improvement.

Gregg.

FREEDOM of the road for ALL.:680: