IGNORED

I hate to do this (tires again)

mountainhorsega

after all the other tire threads but... I keep reading that Avons are great but you get some bounce or wobble or some other adverse affect around 85MPH and up. True or Not? I have Commanders now and they have been great (smooth as glass up to 100). Needing to replace the front at 18,500. my last rear went 12k. You guys are spooking me off of Avons with this wobble talk - I routinely hit 85 and frequently above it - and I like everything to stay nice and steady. (Sorry to start this again, I went back and dug through the other threads and cant really find much definitive)

The reports on the wobble are for the first gen Ventures only. '83-'93. I've seen no such reports in regards to the RSV or RSTD.

Also, I would kindly suggest that you fill our your profile by clicking on UserCP. Makes it much easier for folks to respond when we can easily tell exactly what bike you are riding. :)

• 1 year later...

Hi all, I'm new here, just ran out of freebie time so got out my wallet and kicked the money up! I have a 90 VR and it had that wobble. mine was at b'tween 35 & 45. Read up on tightness of the neck bearings and tried it. Still wobbled with the proper torque so I did what any one would do......I tightened her some more. No more wobble anymore!Don't overdo it, but I don't happen to think 5 ft pounds is good enough

got 16K on my rear tire, I think it's a Commander, will look tonight and correct if necessary.

as far as wobble, i have a HD forkbrace and as long as I keep the front at about 45psi I'm golden -- but then I do have a sidecar :D

Oh, and I called the dealer on replacing the rear, I think the guy picked the first number over 100 that came to mind. told me $170 to change it, ... plus tire:sick::sick::rain2: Only $25 if I just bring him the wheel! Yeah right, I'm all over that!!!

I would look at steering head nut, " torque" setting as the root cause of wobble.

Then , " greese " the steering head bearings !!

Then add a fork brace.

Then add progressive suspension springs.

Then, check the torque of the rear swing arm bearings. (( And greese these bearings !! ))

Then check the torque settings of " ALL " of the Main frame bolts and nuts.

If wobble still present, then I would consider changing front tires to try to correct front end wobble.

I cured my front end wobble by simple adjusting the steering head torque setting. !! And of course, adding the fork brace and progressive springs, greatly improved the overall general handling of my 89. Money well spent. !!!!

Edited by GeorgeS

I also recommend checking tire ballace yourself!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I use this one from Harbor Freight HERE

http://www.harborfreight.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/thumbnail/370x370/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/i/m/image_4126.jpg

worth every penny I spent on it......

I also recommend checking tire ballace yourself!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I use this one from Harbor Freight HERE

http://www.harborfreight.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/thumbnail/370x370/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/i/m/image_4126.jpg

worth every penny I spent on it......

I use two cinderblocks with the end with the grove turned up. Sit axel in grove and balance tire.

• 2 weeks later...

My '87VR...One AVon Elan rear I got around 20k miles out of...That was the old Elan. Now my VenomX only got 10k. They told me , "IT'S the same tire different tread pattern". Both had 47psi in them. I think they changed something and did not tell me...? Does anyone know the Max. PSI for a Commander? Is it like a Dunlop...44psi. Avons are 50psi. call me Curious:confused07: ANd those curious about wobbles....high speed it's worn head bearing. Low speed...new or old bearings, it's there to some degree. Especially no hand and hit a good BUMP! Not something you practice. Worn bearings act like a pendulum(low spot). I replaced my bearings last year. BEST thing I did in the last 20 years.

Edited by jasonm.

after all the other tire threads but... I keep reading that Avons are great but you get some bounce or wobble or some other adverse affect around 85MPH and up. True or Not? I have Commanders now and they have been great (smooth as glass up to 100). Needing to replace the front at 18,500. my last rear went 12k. You guys are spooking me off of Avons with this wobble talk - I routinely hit 85 and frequently above it - and I like everything to stay nice and steady. (Sorry to start this again, I went back and dug through the other threads and cant really find much definitive)

Never had a problem. I run 50 psi any less and you feel a difference. Avon guy at the bike show told me to run max air.