IGNORED

Dyna Beads = Wasted Money

V7Goose

I know lots of members here seem to like the Dyna Beads for tire balance. In general, I am not a fan of adding ANYTHING to my tires except air, but I have never joined that discussion since I didn't have any real information or first hand experience with the product.

Well, now I have some info that I thought I would share in the hopes of maybe helping a few members here not waste their money. I am a huge believer in Motorcycle Consumer News - I won't go into all the reasons why at this time, but I have great faith in their testing and opinions. The following comes from their answer to a letter asking about Dyna Beads in the February 2010 issue:

" MCN evaluated the Dyna Beads on a reader's suggestion back in October of 2006. Although the tiny white ceramic beads have apparently found favor with long-haul truckers, we tested them in a Honda 599. Using a shop's spin balancer, we checked the bike's rear wheel, which had 1.6 oz. of balance weights in place. The balancer agreed with the amount and location of the weights. After installing the specified two ounces of beads in the rear tire and then removing the rim weights, the balancer found an out of balance condition. This test was repeated five times and the balancer continued to call for the replacement of the 1.6 oz. of rim weights in the same location. Over-the-road testing was next. Without the rim weights, the rear wheel produced noticeable vibration and the installation of the beads gave a barely perceptible improvement. Also, the weight of the beads added so close to the tire tread gave a noticeable increase in gyro stability, making the steering heavier. We also tried them on a car and were disappointed. Bottom line: Save your money for a proper spin balance."

Goose

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know lots of members here seem to like the Dyna Beads for tire balance. In general, I am not a fan of adding ANYTHING to my tires except air, but I have never joined that discussion since I didn't have any real information or first hand experience with the product.

Well, now I have some info that I thought I would share in the hopes of maybe helping a few members here not waste their money. I am a huge believer in Motorcycle Consumer News - I won't go into all the reasons why at this time, but I have great faith in their testing and opinions. The following comes from their answer to a letter asking about Dyna Beads in the February 2010 issue:

" MCN evaluated the Dyna Beads on a reader's suggestion back in October of 2006. Although the tiny white ceramic beads have apparently found favor with long-haul truckers, we tested them in a Honda 599. Using a shop's spin balancer, we checked the bike's rear wheel, which had 1.6 oz. of balance weights in place. The balancer agreed with the amount and location of the weights. After installing the specified two ounces of beads in the rear tire and then removing the rim weights, the balancer found an out of balance condition. This test was repeated five times and the balancer continued to call for the replacement of the 1.6 oz. of rim weights in the same location. Over-the-road testing was next. Without the rim weights, the rear wheel produced noticeable vibration and the installation of the beads gave a barely perceptible improvement. Also, the weight of the beads added so close to the tire tread gave a noticeable increase in gyro stability, making the steering heavier. We also tried them on a car and were disappointed. Bottom line: Save your money for a proper spin balance."

Goose

Hi Kent:

I've been running the Dyan Beads both front and back in the Venture for 2 seasons now....and no issues thus far. Smooth, vibration free running. I am interested to see the condition of the beads when I change out the tires, I currently have over 16,000 miles on them. Then the decision will be made as to whether or not to continue their use.

Good info on your part, and thanks!

gunk

I haven't tested them but I've always presumed that if they were all they're cracked up to be shops and OEMs wouldn't be investing in spin balancers. They'd just throw a handful in when mounting the tire. They'd save on the equipment, the floor space and the labor time to spin them and install the weights. Plus, they wouldn't have to maintain and calibrate the balancers.

Please go to Innovative Balancing for their take on spin balance testing of their beads. I think their theory is sound and I've used Dyna Beads in all of my last 3 bikes with excellent results and I believe

improved mileage and tire life. But, hey, what do I know? I have a car tire on the rear also. :2cents:

Please go to Innovative Balancing for their take on spin balance testing of their beads. I think their theory is sound and I've used Dyna Beads in all of my last 3 bikes with excellent results and I believe

improved mileage and tire life. But, hey, what do I know? I have a car tire on the rear also. :2cents:

I'd rather believe independent testing than self-serving statements by someone trying to sell a dubious product. In addition, logic tells me the product cannot work and the testing performed should produce valid results. The actual test results support those conclusions, which I formed in advance of learning about the test results, so I think I'll stick with logic instead of mysticism. In addition, I'm busting a gut here at the idea of a company saying "Yeah, we know the spin balancer says your tire is out of balance, but trust us, it really isn't!" But, hey, that's just my opinion.

Goose

Theres a whole lot of folks with totaly differant results than what MCN came up with.

I'm one of them. I was sceptical too. But after hearing so many positive stories I gave them a try.

My VTX is noticably smoother with Dyna Beads than with out.

Gyro stabilaty? Is that supposed to mean the bike is harder to lean into a curve? BS, I havent noticed any differance in this area.

I dont understand why you would put down a product that in your own words "I didn't have any real information or first hand experience with the product." It seems you still don't have any first hand experience, only what you have read in a magazine, unless theres something your not telling. So why bash the product? :confused24:

When the RSV is ready for new tires. Dyna Beads are going in.

I've never tried the product either and likely never will. I'm not bashing it but just don't see any reason to use it. Whether your mount your own tires or have them mounted, it only takes a few minutes extra to do a tried and true spin balancing. I've never had any problems doing it the old and proven way so I will just stick with it.

I had Dynabeads on 2 of my Valkyries...one with a car tire and the other with a motorcycle tire. They both rode smooth and true.....no bounce or shimmy at all. And these bikes got ridden hard and fast. I'll use Dynabeads again...they worked for me.

I've never used Dyna-Beads, but I suspect that the test run by MCN was faulty. I know that with Ride-On, which also has balancing properties, they say to balance the tire statically first and then let RO 'fine tune' the balance. I know first hand this works. By removing the tire weights and trying to balance the tire with only the beads might be where they screwed up. I don't see how a tire can be balanced the way they ran the test unless the tire was perfectly balanced to begin with. There are just too many positive feedbacks for the MCN test to be creditable.

How do the beads add weight to the lite side of the tire? Seems like the centrifugal force would cause the beads to be flung outward, with the heaviest part of the tire attracting more beads. This would be counter-productive. At best I could see the beads getting evenly distributed, but that won't help balance the tire either. icon5.gif

I was skeptical of the Dyna-beads but gave them a try and like them. In fact, just after installing a new set of very inexpensive plastic wheel-covers on my cars snow tires I started getting a vibration in the front end at highway speed. The wheels were already balanced with lead weights (without the wheel-covers) so I figured the cheep wheel covers were offsetting the balance. As I've already used Dyna-beads in the scoot and like them I thought I’d try them in the car so I put 1 oz. in each front wheel to see if I’d notice a difference. Well, the vibration is gone in the front and as I can now feel some vibration in the rear I’ll be adding them there also. Time is the true test though, so I’ll be watching and feeling very close to determine their performance over the life of the tire.

I figure they work somewhat like a frontload washer, as the drum turns the cloths find their balance. When the sensors determine balance has been achieved it spins faster or stops and tries again. Scientifically it makes sense. I wonder if I put some damp socks in my tire if it would work the same???

Edited by dragerman

How do the beads add weight to the lite side of the tire? Seems like the centrifugal force would cause the beads to be flung outward, with the heaviest part of the tire attracting more beads. This would be counter-productive. At best I could see the beads getting evenly distributed, but that won't help balance the tire either. icon5.gif

It's done with mirrors and Mojo..... :) Actually it didn't make sense to me either, and after reading the Ride-On explaination it still didn't make any sense to my Vulcan brain, but I guess it does...

I figure they work somewhat like a frontload dryer, as the drum turns the cloths find their balance. When the sensors determine balance has been achieved it spins faster or stops and tries again. Scientifically it makes sense.

Thanks for the analogy, but I'm not sure it's a good comparison. A dryer just tumbles clothes.

The washer is a better comparison, but it just senses out of balance. If so, it slows to tumble the clothes and get them re-oriented. It will do this until the level of unbalance is acceptable, then go to spin. But it does not balance the load. In other words, as the washer spins up, the clothes do not align themselves inside to achieve balance. At best, the unbalance will settle out a little as water is wrung out of the clothes and they become lighter.

I'm a little uncertain how these beads can align themselves to the lite side of an unbalanced tire. Perhaps Condor is right, Mirrors and Mojo. icon12.gif

Thanks for the analogy, but I'm not sure it's a good comparison. A dryer just tumbles clothes.

The washer is a better comparison, but it just senses out of balance. If so, it slows to tumble the clothes and get them re-oriented. It will do this until the level of unbalance is acceptable, then go to spin. But it does not balance the load. In other words, as the washer spins up, the clothes do not align themselves inside to achieve balance. At best, the unbalance will settle out a little as water is wrung out of the clothes and they become lighter.

I'm a little uncertain how these beads can align themselves to the lite side of an unbalanced tire. Perhaps Condor is right, Mirrors and Mojo. icon12.gif

So I guess the socks in the tire isn't a good idea either??

I didn't start this thread with the intention of goring anybody's favorite ox, but I just cannot control it now . . . I am blown away at the number of people who seem to be so willing to just blindly accept the manufacturer's claim that even though they know a spin balancer will effectively prove these beads do nothing, everyone should just ignore that and blindly accept their assurances that they are really good things!

So I now know how I am going to support myself in retirement.

Offering now: Mauser's Magic Ballancing Dust! I will sell you 5 oz at half the price for 2oz of Dyna Beads, and I will provide a money-back guarantee that it will provide 100% of all the benefits of Dyna Beads (provided that the buyer can provide any tangible evidence whatsoever of such benefits). The major benefit of Mauser's Magic Balancing Dust, besides being 1/2 price of Dyna Beads, is that no installation is needed at all - just dump the bag of magic dust on your tire and enjoy the ride! :big-grin-emoticon: (mojo included for free - buyer provides his or her own mirrors)

Place your orders now!

Goose

I didn't start this thread with the intention of goring anybody's favorite ox, but I just cannot control it now . . . I am blown away at the number of people who seem to be so willing to just blindly accept the manufacturer's claim that even though they know a spin balancer will effectively prove these beads do nothing, everyone should just ignore that and blindly accept their assurances that they are really good things!

Offering now: Mauser's Magic Ballancing Dust! I will sell you 5 oz at half the price for 2oz of Dyna Beads, and I will provide a money-back guarantee that it will provide 100% of all the benefits of Dyna Beads (provided that the buyer can provide any tangible evidence whatsoever of such benefits). The major benefit of Mauser's Magic Balancing Dust, besides being 1/2 price of Dyna Beads, is that no installation is needed at all - just dump the bag of magic dust on your tire and enjoy the ride! :big-grin-emoticon: (mojo included for free - buyer provides his or her own mirrors)

Place your orders now!

Goose

I'd like to buy some stock in your new company :mo money:

I think you could make millions! Get your dust from the cat box and include a straw to blow it into the tire!

The only possible issue I can think of since reading MCN's tests of the beads is that they used a spin balancer to run the tests. Spin balancers run the wheel/tire quickly up to speed and after a very brief moment, slow back down again. The beads seem to need a bit of off-balance time to find their place, according to the ads and that video, and that would never happen on a normal spin balancer.

If that is the case, it also means they wouldn't work at the dragstrip or anywhere else you have a lot of acceleration and deceleration.

Place your orders now!

Goose

I appreciate everyone's opinion on this matter, and I respect that opinion as well. As I stated in my earlier post, they work, plain and simple, they do the job. FOR ME. I don't know how or why, nor can I explain how or why, but on my Venture, they work.

I can't/won't bash anyone for their opinion on a topic which I am interested in, but I will try to offer what I feel are opinions on something which I have tried, experienced or otherwise had some experience with. Good natured ribbing is totally acceptable, and something which I also enjoy.

As stated in my earlier post, they are working great in MY bike, and when I have the opportunity to change my tires, which should be this riding season, I will inspect the beads, and then make what I feel will be a "more educated" decision on whether or not to continue their use, based not only on their appearance, but by following threads such as this.

Kudos to V7 Goose for raising the issue, and to all who have contributed to what I consider to be a very valuable thread.

gunk

They actually already have this. It's called Equal Tire Balancing. It's a powder that is put in the tire through the valve core and is supposed to balance the tire. It seems to work ok until you top off your tires with wet air, then it clumps up and really messes things up. We used this at the semitruck dealer that I used to work for. We put it in every tire on all of our lease equipment.

http://www.imiproducts.com/equal/index.aspx

I worked for Petro Stopping Centers for 9 years and we sold Centramatic balancers. I know they did work. They were bolted on between the wheel and the drum and used steel shoot to balance the tire. I always recommended to customers to have an initial mechanical balance when the tire was first installed. Most of my customers had very few out of balance issues over the life of tires (100,000-150,000 miles)if they followed my advice and used the Centramatics.

And now I need to thank you for making me look up Centramatics website because they now offer tire balancers for Honda Goldwings.

They even have a neat little video showing how it works.

http://www.centramatic.com/Home.aspx

Place your orders now!

Goose

Ok, I'll add my 2 cents. The last time I changed my tires I did a static balance using the crude tool that came with my tire mounter. I never felt I had the balance right so rather than taking the tires off again and taking them to be spun, I removed the weights and but 2 bags of beads in each tire. Problem solved. Much smoother after the beads.

Here's a theory on the spin balance test. I'm not sure how fast a balancer spins the wheel but I thought it was relatively slow, maybe less than 40 mph. At those speed we probably wouldn't notice an out of balance condition and it may be that the beads don't start to work until they reach higher speeds, say 50 to 60 mph. Therefore, the spin balancer may not have spun them fast enough. Just a theory and it's probably wrong.

I have a couple of friends also using them with success.

Dennis

Place your orders now!

Goose

Don't knock 'em until you've tried 'em. If you've never used them then you're just repeating something you've read. They worked for me.