IGNORED

Mp3 on 1st gen

Adavidson56304

I'm removing my cassette deck and putting in a mp3 jack on my 87vr. I found a few threads about this but am still a little confused. I understand jumping pins 1 and 7 to bypass the deck. Which ones do I wire in the switch and jack to? Does anyone make something I can just plug into the old cassette wire and go?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I'm mechanical but no electrician, so please be as specific as possible.

:confused24:

I'm removing my cassette deck and putting in a mp3 jack on my 87vr. I found a few threads about this but am still a little confused. I understand jumping pins 1 and 7 to bypass the deck. Which ones do I wire in the switch and jack to? Does anyone make something I can just plug into the old cassette wire and go?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I'm mechanical but no electrician, so please be as specific as possible.

:confused24:

you can also, get one of the dummy Cassett Tapes, with a cable on it, that plugs into your MP-3.

Not sure if radio shack still carries them, but they should be avialable from some elecronics mail order place.

Its just a Cassett, you stick in the player, and cable runs to your MP-3.

works great. !!

Here's a wiring diagram for the cassette wiring....

White - 12V

Gray - Enable Radio (connect to the White wire to make radio work.

Black - Audio common

Brown - Audio Left

Blue - Audio Right

Red - 6Volts -- Unknown use but a good source for the voltage needed to trip the CB mute

Yellow -- Unknown

green -- Unknown

(Tim Gray previously posted this)

What I did to mine was remove the cassette deck, and install an aluminum plate to cover the hole and give me someplace to hold the Ipod. Then I added a relay and a switch to handle the control functions. When I was doing some research for another Venturerider, I found a 3PDT (3 pole double throw) switch available at Fry's that would also switch between the radio and the Ipod (or MP3). Here's the info on that, including some pictures how I did mine.

http://venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=41100&highlight=deck

When I first installed my IPOD, the the treble was high (especially on the helmet speakers), even with the tone control all the way down. IPODs have equalization built in, and mine had been set to 'FLAT'. I switched it to 'small speakers', and this cut the treble and boosted the bass and made it virtually the same as the radio. Depending on your ears and helmet speakers you may have to do something also. I don't think most MP3's have adjustable equalization (I may be wrong), so if it bothers you, you could install small capacitors across the audio lines from the cassette deck, but their size is going have be selected by trial and error.

I know you said you're not into electrical, but this isn't a difficult job.

I got a FM transmitter from Sears for 26 bucks. You can plug in a usb drive or a SD card with your mp3s on it and hear them thru the radio. Works well. Better than the Cassette adapter by far. You need a 12v outlet, to plug it into. It did , fly off the bike while I pulled out of this campsite and I lost it LOL I may have been showing off. I had to go up this gravel hill. and I charged up and bounced around. 10 mins later I saw my tunes were gone.:shock3:

• 3 weeks later...

HI Guys;

I installed this on my '81

Sony DSX-MS60 AM/FM/Satellite/iPod Docking Marine Receiver

http://www.overtons.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?pdesc=Sony-DSX-MS60-AM/FM/Satellite/iPod-Docking-Marine-Receiver&i=92230

It also has an aux input on the front, as well as front rear outputs, Sat support.

It is working great.

Hal

If you want very simple you don't even need a relay.

-Connect the left audio, right audio and common audio wires to the I pod.

-Wire in a switch to pin 1 and 7.

This will produce a glitch being if the Ipod is playing while you are listening to the radio you will hear both at the same time. (you would have to shut off the ipod manually to listen to the radio)

The relay just disconnects the audio from the ipod to the radio while in radio mode. The relay can be run by the same switch that connects/disconnects pin 1 and 7.

Hopefully this helps and not confusing the issue beyond belief

Scotty

Thanks everyone. I finally got it all installed tonight. I used a 4pdt switch and use that to switch between the auxiliary jack I installed and the radio. I found the female DIN plug on eBay for a buck, that way I didn't have to cut any wires. Just plugged it into the one on the amplifier. It works great, but even if my MP3 player is off and plugged in to the jack the radio volume is really low, or on I hear both. Hopefully sometime I'll figure out a relay so I can switch back and forth without having to unplug the MP3 player. If anyone knows how to do this please let me know.

I cut a piece of plastic to cover the hole where the cassette player was and installed the switch and jack in there. I also put in a 12 volt power jack and the switch for my driving lights.

Still have some more space, I'm thinking a switch for heated gear and one for grips, but that will have to wait, it's time to get some more riding in.

• 1 year later...
Here's a wiring diagram for the cassette wiring....

White - 12V

Gray - Enable Radio (connect to the White wire to make radio work.

Black - Audio common

Brown - Audio Left

Blue - Audio Right

Red - 6Volts -- Unknown use but a good source for the voltage needed to trip the CB mute

Yellow -- Unknown

green -- Unknown

(Tim Gray previously posted this)

What I did to mine was remove the cassette deck, and install an aluminum plate to cover the hole and give me someplace to hold the Ipod. Then I added a relay and a switch to handle the control functions. When I was doing some research for another Venturerider, I found a 3PDT (3 pole double throw) switch available at Fry's that would also switch between the radio and the Ipod (or MP3). Here's the info on that, including some pictures how I did mine.

http://venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=41100&highlight=deck

When I first installed my IPOD, the the treble was high (especially on the helmet speakers), even with the tone control all the way down. IPODs have equalization built in, and mine had been set to 'FLAT'. I switched it to 'small speakers', and this cut the treble and boosted the bass and made it virtually the same as the radio. Depending on your ears and helmet speakers you may have to do something also. I don't think most MP3's have adjustable equalization (I may be wrong), so if it bothers you, you could install small capacitors across the audio lines from the cassette deck, but their size is going have be selected by trial and error.

I know you said you're not into electrical, but this isn't a difficult job.

been readiing all this wonderful info from way back. As George said the cassette adapter works great. Basically because the cassette player has a preamp in it. If your cassette is junk. I am an electronics tech with 35 years in the business. Yes I did all of it the "proper" way. Relay switch etc. to seperate things. Then this wiring does work but is a bit less volume that the cassette adapter. a few minor errors in places on the actual connector #'s..... good info:080402gudl_prv:

So Jason, One of the members I know here has asked me similar questions for him to get Aux input. I have a second gen so mine is easy. I have read a few posts on this. What about making essentially a extension cord and wiring in an Aux port on it. Would that work or would you not get the input thru the amp?