Thread: About to give up!

Canada
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Condor View Post
    Man, if you're having that much trouble getting a seat that isn't painfull, maybe you should have a doc take a look at your problem. 'Cause if it affects you that much on a bike you're probably having a lot of pain everytime you sit.... anywhere...
    Nope...only on the bike.
    Had a Corbin on a Nomad for three seasons.
    Put on 40,000 miles. Sometime I would get neck/shoulder pain but not a butt ache!

United States
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have to say I would think the engineers at Yamaha could get a seat that is at least somewhat comfortable by now. I mean this is supposed to be a touring bike. I love the bike but the seat sucks. I could ride all day on my Road King and have no trouble at all, 45 minutes on this seat and I am ready to get off. I am having the Butler mod done while I am in Texas this summer and I hope that helps. Meanwhile I think we should flood Yamaha with complaints about the lousey seats they are selling on these bikes. I don't even have the option of aftermarket due to the tan color of the MM edition seats.

United States
    SC
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rlyons View Post
    I have to say I would think the engineers at Yamaha could get a seat that is at least somewhat comfortable by now. I mean this is supposed to be a touring bike. I love the bike but the seat sucks. I could ride all day on my Road King and have no trouble at all, 45 minutes on this seat and I am ready to get off. I am having the Butler mod done while I am in Texas this summer and I hope that helps. Meanwhile I think we should flood Yamaha with complaints about the lousey seats they are selling on these bikes. I don't even have the option of aftermarket due to the tan color of the MM edition seats.

Unless someone put the Pillow Top seat on your MM, you had the harder seats that came with the MM and Midnight back then. Pillow Top is good but we actually want something firmer and it is definitely the butt bones that go numb, not my tail bone.
    Feel the Wind Blow

Sleeperhawk

United States
    NC
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rlyons View Post
    Well for one whom needs both hips replaced , fusion L5-S1 , Arthritis both locations and in knees and a broken right hand, the pillow top seat to me is more comfy than my recliner. I've sat on HD seats and Corbins and came to the conclusion that they are worse than sitting across a brick wall. It's all a matter of opinion and preference.
    I've made several rides that were equivalent to Iron-Butts. And got home and was ready to ride again.
    For those whom do not like the stock seats , there are custom seat makers out there.
    Just another approach , I have adjusted my highway pegs a few times for better posture too.

BEER30

United States
    NC
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Next Question and not trying to be an smart A$$ about it , "But just how big/small is one's 'derriere"?
    My wife says I got a cute Butt and I wear 36" jeans with a Beer-gut. I also found out that wearing loose fit jeans in the waist and crotch, rather than tight jeans are more comfy on the tail and butt bones. Wearing my belt tight makes a huge difference for the worse as well.

Just another thought that just occurred to me. Back in the day , I had a friend whom wore a football uniform girdle with only the tail bone pad. There was not a seat made that fit his A$$ that was comfy. He heard of this girdle from his football coach and it made all the world of difference no matter what he was sitting on.

BEER30

United States
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Old&slow View Post
    Stock seat was pillow top.
    Corbin was better.
    No backrest seemed to help with my tailbone but without it I get terrible middle of the back pain.
    I'm at a lost right now.

Had a Corbin on a Nomad for three seasons.
    Put on 40,000 miles. Sometime I would get neck/shoulder pain but not a butt ache!
    Hmm, Corbin was better?
    And no butt problems on a Nomad with a Corbin.
    I've ridden Nomads several times, But remember there being a big difference in seating position. From what I can tell, both the handle bars and foot boards are a little closer on the Nomad, and the handle bars may be a bit higher. But doesn't seem like enough difference that you shouldn't be able to make the Venture work.

Canada
    ON
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Don't know if this will help your situation, probably not, and I don't have it perfect yet. As you can see I have dug two holes in the foam, right where my butt bones set,,, makes a world of difference, now I still have to give relieve to the round part of the bone that goes over the side of the seat, but I wants to be careful not to take too much out.
    My theory is that pressure from sitting on certain parts of my behind cut out the blood circulation and then the ache starts, keep it circulating and it should or could solve the problem. Now that can be done with more fat back there, but that is an option that seems to elude me, so I had to come up with another option.
    It's nice to be the same
    But
    It's great to be different!

Canada
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm thinking that after the Butler mod seemed to do nothing(no offense to Rick) that I need some foam removed at the back of the seat as well as on the bottom (which of course Rick did)

United States
    TX
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Your only other option, from what I am reading, is look into a Russell daylong seat. They are custom made to fit the rider and they are made to your size and weight. I am with most of the others here in the fact that I loved the pillow top seats. I have ridden several several hundred miles on my RSV's and although I was tired, was never as wiped out as you seem to be experiencing. Best of luck with the quest
    Gunboat....I eagerly await the day we can ride together again, Godspeed my brother

Canada
    ON
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Off hand I would say that you need to deal directly with the area of pain, or discomfort. I would not recommend to start cutting right away, but do the opposite first, build up the other areas as a start. If that seems to address the problem, then you have a good idea as to where to do surgery.
    Everybody is built different, basically the same, but with minute differences that can't be addressed for the masses, so sometimes we need to make slight adjustments. That's where trial and error come in,, hopefully not too many errors, for seats are not all that cheap.
    Maybe your seat is too wide and so causes your leg bones to set your butt and back in a sore position, try to put a band (ratchet strap) around it where your legs come off the seat and try that for an hour or so, see how it develops.
    It's nice to be the same
    But
    It's great to be different!

Australia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree with Marcarl, I think the seat is too wide and it is placing your hips/pelvis in an uncomfortable position.

This was the case for me. We did the Butler seat mod (everything sent over) But I had to narrow off the front sides of the seat more, and also place another piece of memory foam down the centre of the seat. My butt has the padding but due to the stiff leg my seating position changed. Oh, I also took some off the back of the seat. (have Flanders bars too--more pull-back)

Best of luck

United States
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You could also try talking to the guys over at great day to ride, lots of SV riders send their seats to them modded and have way better results than any off the shelf seat, most get a gel pad inserted with a layer of memory foam over that, they reuse the stock seat cover so it looks original.

I think you have to ship the seat to them along with $65 and they usually have a pretty quick turn around rate.

United States
    WI
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Old&slow View Post
    I'm thinking that after the Butler mod seemed to do nothing(no offense to Rick) that I need some foam removed at the back of the seat as well as on the bottom (which of course Rick did)
    I think that you need to contact Rick and tell him of your butt pain. (again) No doubt he would work with you and get you a comforbable seat. Just because he did it once doesn't mean that he wouldn't rework it.
    Good luck,
    Steve

United States
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The best solution for you is "air". Everything else is "solid", even foam. Look into the inflatable motorcycle seat cushions on the internet. There are several options, but from what you describe, it seems to me that air is your only option if you want to continue riding.

Here are some options to consider:

http://www.rehabmart.com/product/fre...ion-17184.html

http://www.therohostore.com/Departme...-Cushions.aspx

http://www.aquaaireseatcushion.com/m...cleseatcushion

Hope you find a solution that works for you!

Canada
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This AirHawk looks interesting but expensive.
    I found a local gal who reupholsters seats. I think I'm gonna give her a shot. Will try this thing about the strap to make it narrower.
    Anyone else who had Rick rework the seat notice how much lower you sit?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast