IGNORED

Something Has to Give

distancerider

I'm new to the Venture and new to the site and enjoy them both. ECK was kind enough to send an invitation to the Rome meet and eat. My wife and I were late but we made it; met some high qualty people for sure.

I have many years riding, mostly on a Goldwing. The Venture is completely different and a joy to ride but my butt is killing me. I mean actual tail bone pain. I flew to Cleveland on Labor Day Weekend bought a 2006 RSV and rode back to Atlanta. Great ride but after 45 minutes to an hour I was really hurting.

Just a few minutes off the seat and I would feel better but I've ridden some long hours on the wing, including 800 and 900 mile days,and never had this kind of discomfort. I guess I have three options from what I see on the site. The seat modification by one of the memebrs, an airhawk cushion, or a Corbin seat? I really don't want to spend the money on the corbin right now but something has to give.

Again, I appreciate all the hospitality.

Thanks in advance,

Distance Rider

Edited by distancerider

I'm new to the Venture and new to the site and enjoy them both. ECK was kind enough to send an invitation to the Rome meet and eat. My wife and I were late but we made it; met some high quality people for sure.

I have many years riding, mostly on a Goldwing. The Venture is completely different and a joy to ride but my butt is killing me. I mean actual tail bone pain. I flew to Cleveland on Labor Day Weekend bought a 2006 RSV and rode back to Atlanta. Great ride but after 45 minutes to an hour I was really hurting.

Just a few minutes off the seat and I would feel better but I've ridden some long hours on the wing, including 800 and 900 mile days,and never had this kind of discomfort. I guess I have three options from what I see on the site. The seat modification by one of the memebrs, an airhawk cushion, or a Corbin seat? I really don't want to spend the money on the corbin right now but something has to give.

Again, I appreciate all the hospitatilaty.

Thanks in advance,

Distance Rider

That discomfort is really a shame - I am in the opposite group. My GoldWing was a pain in the butt whereas I find my Venture a pleasure to ride ( in all aspects)

The first thing I would do is call Mr. Butler and explain you dilemma to him. I would hope he can take care of your problem. For the price it certainly is worth a try.

Contact Rick Butler on this site. He'll get you straight. He reworked my cushion top seats and they are much more comfortable now. I went from an hour of riding to all day. No more pain. His turnaround was fast also, so minimal down time. Just search under members and PM him.

I have an extra vertibrae in my tail bone so I hear your pain. At the last Maintenace Day at Freebirds, I was lucky enough to be pointed in the direction where Rick Butler was doing his seat modifications.

He cut a V in my seat where my tail bone would be and replaced the thin foam with a thicker memory foam.

It now feels like I am riding on air. No pain or discomfort in my tail bone area.

Good luck with what ever you do to solve your problem.

I have also had the tailbone pain, but usually after about 2-3000 miles into a concentrated ride. Done several 1000+ mile days and will attest to the AirHawk cushion to help out. This is with the older, non-pillow top seats.

Last year I had Rick Butler redo my seat and it helps tremendously. I also picked up a Corbin to try to get the seat to a 5000 miles seat, but it didn't help. The Corbin has never given me any trouble with the tailbone, but the sitbones will begin hurting after 4-500 miles.

The most comfort I have found is the Rick Butler mod with a sheepskin.

If the economy picks up, I will be investing in a Russel Day Long seat. That seems to be the choice among the Iron Butt long distance riders. However, the $600 isn't in the budget just yet.

If you are interested in a Corbin, I have one that I would be willing to sell - including the matching backrest. It is for both the driver and passenger with the integrated backrest. It is in great shape and was purchased from another member here who upgrade to the RDL.

Some folks love them, some don't.

Welcome to the family.

RR

I dont know if you have one, but a backrest is a must in my book for long days in the saddle on any Venture. A set of highway pegs too helps keep you able to move your feet around. Rick Butler is top notch and his workmanship is great, let him work your seat over and I dont think you'll regret it

:no-no-no:

I'm new to the Venture and new to the site and enjoy them both. ECK was kind enough to send an invitation to the Rome meet and eat. My wife and I were late but we made it; met some high qualty people for sure.

Again, I appreciate all the hospitality.

Thanks in advance,

Distance Rider

I'm with you on the seat. But research the Airhawk cushion. I just used one on a long ride and to me it was no benefit whatsoever. A waste of money for me.

I meet up with I guy who owns a venture, not I member here, tried to get him to sign up but he said he no use for bike clubs.

To the point, ultimate does not make a seat for our bike, but they do for the tour deluxe, he had purchased the frount for the tour deluxe, took the pad and cover off and transfered to the venture seat pan, I am going to do the same when I can afford to buy the seat, but the wife wants one for her road star, so got to get hers first.

Gregg

That discomfort is really a shame - I am in the opposite group. My GoldWing was a pain in the butt whereas I find my Venture a pleasure to ride ( in all aspects)

The first thing I would do is call Mr. Butler and explain you dilemma to him. I would hope he can take care of your problem. For the price it certainly is worth a try.

I'm with you. My Wing really hurts my hind end. As far as the original poster's delimma, I went the Corbin seat route on my 2003. If I could afford a Corbin for my wing and I thought I would keep it long enough to get my money's worth I would get another one in a heartbeat.