IGNORED

Bad boy horn

Guest jet man

Guest jet man

As you know' I'm not much of a writer; but I sure do read alot on the site. Any way I wanted to get the new stebel horn, as there as so many people who decide that they want to share the same blacktop as me so often. Well I did not want to wait to order one, so I went to the local harbor freight and bought a "BAD BOY" horn. HOLY s@#%, that sucker is loud! It was a simple add on and it looks exactly like the stebel horn. I'm not sure if the stebel is louder but I really don't think that I need it. Btw I used the little bracket off the original horn to install the new one. I simply enlarge the lower hole and mounted the horn sideways and used the upper hole to mount the relay. I also was able to get the horn at the on line add price of $34.99.:superman:

Jet Man

I bought the same horn about 2 weeks after install I went to use the horn and it barely had any sound coming out. I by passed the relay and it blasted. So if you have a prob in the future it could be the relay it seems to be pretty cheap to me. I just went down to local auto supply store and bought a nice heavy duty relay and havnt had a problem since.

John

I now have both and am in the process of mounting them where the original horns go. Haven't tooted either of them yet so I can't say if either is louder.

The compressor looks identical, the diaphragm covers are diferent shape plastic, and the Bad boy has a plastric cover over the compressor end where the mount is that the stebel doesn't have. I'm thinking the Bad Boy is a better deal...

Guest jet man

I have only had it on for a short time so I don't really know how long the relay will work, but I sealed around the prongs and the horn progs as well. I also followed the instructions verbatum, which by the way are extremely easy. How ever with that being said, any thing louder than the stock horn is better! I am tired of drivers with their stupid head sets on and their seat up against the steering wheel trying to occupy my space on the road. I sure hope this gives them a really good wake up call! :superman:

the compressor looks identical, the diaphragm covers are diferent shape plastic, and the bad boy has a plastric cover over the compressor end where the mount is that the stebel doesn't have. I'm thinking the bad boy is a better deal...

on the stebel i took the chrome cover from the inside and glued it to the top then glued the outer one on as well.

The Stebel is rated at 139 Dbs... I think the Bad Boy is 119... I could be wrong tho...

They are rated a bit different but I wonder how the test setups compaired. Similar design and actual outputs could be closer (or farther apart) then advertised.

Jerry

• 4 years later...

OK at the risk of finding out I'm as stupid as I feel right now I have a question on mounting an aditional stebel/bad boy on the right side. The horn I bought came with a relay harness. Well looking at the harnes and the diagrhams I have it was goofy to say the least. So I wired up acording to the diagrham I have #30 to batt hot, 85 to the pink wire on the orginal hor connector to supply power to set relay, #87 to the horn and 86 to a ground. When I honked the front horn never shut off. So I disconnected fron horn and it sound like it is causing the front relay to engage when you hit the button but will not disengage. What am I missing on wiring this thing up. I'm pretty sure it is probably something simple, but had to shut down the project for the day.

The wiring diagram that comes with them is for a switched (+), which is typical on cars and light trucks. Motorcycles (Japanese ones anyhow) switch the (-).

Here is a diagram for how to easily wire for a motorcycle. It uses both horn leads which are simply slipped onto relay terminals 85 and 86.

OK at the risk of finding out I'm as stupid as I feel right now I have a question on mounting an aditional stebel/bad boy on the right side. The horn I bought came with a relay harness. Well looking at the harnes and the diagrhams I have it was goofy to say the least. So I wired up acording to the diagrham I have #30 to batt hot, 85 to the pink wire on the orginal hor connector to supply power to set relay, #87 to the horn and 86 to a ground. When I honked the front horn never shut off. So I disconnected fron horn and it sound like it is causing the front relay to engage when you hit the button but will not disengage. What am I missing on wiring this thing up. I'm pretty sure it is probably something simple, but had to shut down the project for the day.

3 pictures of a pair of air horns mounted on a 1st gen. They are on a set of aftermarket fog light mounts that show up sometimes on ebay. I think MiCarl also has duals on his. These are able to be heard well, and they are slightly different tones.

Gary

I got it figured out. I refered back to the orginal post here. Then retraced my wires. I had a couple things off. One I tied in my grounds (relay and horn to motor ground) and I wasnt using the brown horn wire. So I guess the moral of the story is check your work over.