I put the Dyna on my 06 RSVM. I am very happy with it. I was always bumping the limiter, with the Dyna I can 'get on it' and not hit the wall. I also like the 'power curve' advance versus stock. At 2k rpm it starts to get agressive, which feels 'right' to me. I found no change in mpg and would do it again. I run Curve 3 and only bumped the limiter to 7500.

Hope this helped.

Hi Freebird, At the moment, I'm at curve 4 with the revs set at 8000. I've noticed a pretty good difference just below midrange on up to the RL. I held it in 3rd gear one good day and hung on till I saw 103 mph on the speedo without bumping the RL!! I'm not up there in that territory very often but it's nice to know what you've got when you need it. I love that 3rd gear now! Some folks warned me about pinging on curve 4 but I really have to lug it hard from standstill to make it ping riding 2 up. I've corrected that by blending the 87 octane with 89 midrange octane every other tankfull. No pinging. If I notice any future pinging, I'll just back her down to curve 3. BTW, fuel mileage has dropped a bit but the grin factor has doubled. I guess the two go hand in hand.

Brian:)

Hi Freebird, At the moment, I'm at curve 4 with the revs set at 8000. I've noticed a pretty good difference just below midrange on up to the RL. I held it in 3rd gear one good day and hung on till I saw 103 mph on the speedo without bumping the RL!! I'm not up there in that territory very often but it's nice to know what you've got when you need it. I love that 3rd gear now! Some folks warned me about pinging on curve 4 but I really have to lug it hard from standstill to make it ping riding 2 up. I've corrected that by blending the 87 octane with 89 midrange octane every other tankfull. No pinging. If I notice any future pinging, I'll just back her down to curve 3. BTW, fuel mileage has dropped a bit but the grin factor has doubled. I guess the two go hand in hand.

Brian:)

I'm kind of wondering about that 8k red line. I'm under the impression that somewhere above 7.5k you can see some valve float because of the softer springs. I don't know this for certain, but I kept mine at 7250 just in case. Power seems to flatten around 7k anyway.

Negatory on any valve float. I sure wouldn't want to spin it any higher than that but I've bumped the limiter a couple of times and and it just keeps pulling. It flattened out with the stock box but it sure doesn't now. Like I said, I'm not living up there but it's there if I need it. My 1st gen would rev to over 8500 rpms and it never had any ill effects from it. I've had the box installed for 10 mos. and I've only hit the RL 2 or 3 times that I can remember. This is a touring bike, not a modified street racer. Brian

It's the valve springs that bother me also. That is why I have mine at 7500. Dyna recommends no higher than that...in fact...it may be 7250 that the recommend. They say to go no higher unless you install the VMAX springs. I think I'll just play it safe. :)

I went to their web site but the links aren't working for some reason.

How hard is it to install?

There's a link to one source in my previous post to waterbug.

It's not hard, but it's under the seat and battery, so those things come off/out. The battery box has to come out. Seems like there's a small amount of head standing inside the middle of the bike (it's been a couple of years). Be sure to set it where you want it before you install it. It's just a couple hours of tinkering, really.

I used to have a '97 royal star tour deluxe which I purchased

second hand about six years ago.

I did the "big foot" airbox mod, dyna3000, vmax cams and springs and a vmax rear diff.:mo money:

It revved so well to 8,000 rpm I didn't need 4th or 5th gears any more. :doh:

I could have saved myself some effort and I did anyway and bought myself an '04 Venture with all the power I need for this type of machine.

These things are equivalent to a distributor in an old car. You can play around with the spark advance.

I used to run curve 5 and 8000 rpms. A while back I advanced the pickup coil 4* against the rotor, at which time I went back down to curve 4. Still at eight grand though. With VMX cams and springs, that eight grand comes up real fast too.

Edited by pegscraper

• 2 years later...

Resurrecting this old thread to ask a question:

If you are happy with your current performance, not bumping the rev limiter, and have no other ignition issues, is there any advantage in replacing the stock ignition with the Dyna 3000 that everyone seems to be so pleased with? Will upgrading to this product improve gas milage, or help the plugs perform better in any way?

I seriously don't know if it's worth spending $215 on this or not. :confused07:

Thanks.

IMHO, there is absolutely no advantage in the situation you describe (happy with the stock).

In fact, I find the stock performance of this machine just about perfect when ridden correctly. But everyone gets to have their own opinion, right?

Goose

Negatory on any valve float. I sure wouldn't want to spin it any higher than that but I've bumped the limiter a couple of times and and it just keeps pulling. It flattened out with the stock box but it sure doesn't now. Like I said, I'm not living up there but it's there if I need it. My 1st gen would rev to over 8500 rpms and it never had any ill effects from it. I've had the box installed for 10 mos. and I've only hit the RL 2 or 3 times that I can remember. This is a touring bike, not a modified street racer. Brian

The above is a tad funny considering what you guys are discussing... :rotf: