IGNORED

New venture owner here and I have a question

Hey guys I just bought a 2007 Royal Star Venture with 15k miles and so far I really like the bike. It will be a nice addition to my collection which is a '06' Yamaha Vstar 650 Classic and a '15' Yamaha FJ09. The original owner took really good care of the bike and it shows. The dealership I bought it from, went all through the bike and said everything looked to be in tip top condition. But then again, they did sell the bike to the original owner and do all the maintenance on the bike as well. I guess the owner had a nagging injury so he couldn't ride anymore and he traded it for a side by side. Anyway as I am not familiar with this bike, I am not sure what kind of quirks these bikes have. One thing I noticed though is while decelerating this bike is pretty poppy. Is that normal for these V 4's? Everything runs really smooth and sounds good but it just seems like any tiny bit of deceleration it starts poppin. It's not a consistent or a concerning pop, but it there and it can be loud. Pippity pippity pop pippity POP POP POP pipity POP pop pippity. Just want to make sure I am riding around looking or sounding like a tool and other RSV owners are wondering why I don't fix that.

Sad to say that many dealers do a terrible job synching carbs. Many of the younger techs know nothing about carbs. I've synched a LOT of them for people who had just had them done at the dealer and they were way off when I checked them.

Another possibility is a pinhole leak in the exhaust. There were a number of bikes that had such a pinhole on the left side, just about where the pipes "Y". You could feel the exhaust pulses on the palm of your hand if you reached around behind the "Y" area with the bike running. Easily repaired by lightly sanding he area and daubing some JB Weld over that area. It's on the backside so doesn't show.

Congratulations on your new ride. I think you'll like it. I have an 06 and the only issues I've had with it are the fuel pump and rectifier (voltage regulator) have gone bad over time. I have 58,000 miles on the bike. Never had a problem with the popping you are experiencing but I have had the carbs synced in routine maintenance. Keep it maintained properly and you'll enjoy many miles of riding.

You said he had a 'nagging; in jury and couldn't ride anymore. IMO he didn't at all. 12 year old bike with 15,000 how lucky are you. :dancefool:

Yup they are out there, Barney is a 2006 only had 27.000km's on it. Average of only 2.250km a year for goodness sake. Trouble was it needed a complete service inc carbs stripped down and cleaned, but now have a 'good as new' 12yr old bike. It's incredible that people could pay the cost of a brand new bike, then literally leave it in the garage for a decade.