IGNORED

A little advise needed

bj66

Need some advise on pain from seat while riding....

This goes back to February when my family and I went to my nephews wedding in Denver (about 700 miles). I guess my backside didn't agree with the seats in my wife's vehicle. It basically feels like a bruised tailbone only a bit higher, basically right below the belt line. a few weeks ago I finally had time to get in to my chiropractor and he said my sacrum needed adjustment and after 2 adjustments in 2 weeks I think it has helped.

2 weeks ago I went for a ride and I literally couldn't sit on my bike for 35 miles and I had to stop,I was done. Today I made about 150 round trip with 3 stops. So it is improving. I did do a lot of shifting around to help relieve some of the pressure and would keep one foot on a board and the other on a highway peg so I could get the pressure off of the sore spot. But after 20 minutes it wasn't real fun.

My seat is very good. I've had it for 2 years and it is in good shape. It is a HD "Hammock" seat. Last year I could put in a 400 mile day easy if I wanted too. As soon as I slouch a bit (doesn't matter if I use backrest or not) I get the pressure from the seat back hitting me just right and it is a real buzz kill....

So I guess I am looking for any tricks that might help me ride a little bit until this passes. I took ibuprofen before I left on the ride this morning and it didn't help one bit. I would hate to have to park the bike for an extended time, because I don't think this is going to clear up in a few days. I don't think there is a bun burner 35 mile award......

thanks in advance.....

If ya were to get back on a Real Motorcycle.....:Avatars_Gee_George: Seriously BJ I had something like this years ago after a nasty fall from a telephone pole. I kept shifting back and forth on the pegs to change sides of the seat. It finally cleared itself up. Hope yours does. I remember it was not much fun.:backinmyday:

My lower back problem does involve arthritis or so I'm convinced. When it was at its worst and I also had sciatic pain in my right hip, the best thing I seemed to be able to do to help it is go on a low calorie diet avoiding fats. This helps reduce the effects of arthritis. I know it sounds weird but for me situps also help my lower back. Another thing I've noticed is that when I was taking the bp med Triam/HCTZ for an extended time, it make my arthritis much worse. My back got so bad, I had trouble putting on my pants and shoes.

Beej,, a bruised or irritated sacrum can be extremely painful for a good while. Like Bongo said, Eleve works better than Ibu IMHO but I found that 500mg of Naproxin a couple times a day worked a little better in my case. IMHO - because you did not mention pain down your legs or in your hips it doesnt sound you have a disc issue at L5/sacrum (I destroyed that disc and ended up in a wheel chair and 5 back surgerys over that one once). Might also try a piece of memory foam on the saddle of your scoot to soften the vibes on that gorgeous HD of yours so you can keep riding.. I spent a period of time having to ride my bike sitting with one cheek of my backside on the saddle because of an issue like yours - hopefully you dont end up having to do something like that to make the Pie Butt 26.2 this year!!

Thoughts and Prayers Up that you get feeling better my friend!!!

Puc

http://rushracingproducts.com/CYCLEPEDICseat3.jpg

I almost bought this seat before I bought my Hammock. I almost ordered it the other day, but the price is awful steep considering it is not my tailbone per say that is giving me trouble. I did sit on one at a demo in Sturgis a few years ago and it is comfy. The seat was developed for the owner of the company who had broken his tailbone in a accident. It puts all the pressure on your pelvic bones instead of your tailbone and prostate. Looks good in theory and they say it works. It isn't the most pleasant looking seat, but if it works, who cares what it looks like...

The name of the seat is Cycepedic and it is sold by Rush

Edited by bj66

Like your mom always told you sit up straight. LOL Yea I know I bet we all sort of get the slouch after awhile. I have a back brace, one of them stretch velcro jobs I will wear and it helps me. I was going to check into one of these back braces that was suggested to me. The folks on the bike forum I was in communication with gave it good reviews for eliminating lower back discomfort from riding. $50 and a 30 day free trial, so as McCloud use to say "there ya go". For me the down side to the back brace is it's hot around your middle and no air flow.

Broke a 1/4 moon shape out of right side of my sacrum cracked tail bone 36 years ago. flew off my 900 kaw landed ass first on a tree stump. Still hurts. But that almost killed me. Glad it wasn't still a tree. Anyway, I ride 83 venture stock seat with back rest. When I'm having back probs down low, I put my feet on back pegs for a little while seems to help. Don't know if that will work on a harley. Good exercises for relief; lay flat knees up feet flat use stomach muscles to push small of back against floor, hold for few secs release slow. Repeat several times. Next bring one knee the the other, up pull gently to chest till u feel stretch keep other leg straight point toe, again sev reps. When u get up roll over come up on all fours like dog w back flat try to touch right ear to right hip then same on left. Best on carpet or thin pad but I've done them on side walks when i need relief. Hope that helps

I had to replace my battery yesterday afternoon and I put my stock seat back on to see how much different it felt. The back of the seat isn't as high or as straight up and down as my touring seat. It doesn't push as bad against my lower back. Actually my backrest seems to match up better to the stock seat too. I just had time this morning to jump on and go about 10 miles to check it out (we have company for the 4th so I couldn't be gone long). Stock seat doesn't have as much padding, but right now it may be a better option. My wife had back surgery 2 years ago and has a tens unit. I may try that as well while I ride to see if that will help me out some. It is worth a try.

I know that sometimes things you write sound much more rude than what your intent actually is, so I don't mean to sound so rude, but, Go see a real doctor. Like perhaps an Orthopod....he may just send you to see a physical therapist (who is every bit a qualified and usually better trained than a cyropractor), but at least you'll have a diagnosis based in fact rather than conjecture.