IGNORED

should I? or should i not?

oldgoat

well a friend of mine is looking at a 1982 Kawasaki kz 1000?

it has 16000 miles on it runs ok? needs a little TLC.

what is bothering me is he has not been on a motorcycle since 1988. is what he said?

he do go and take a motorcycle course from the state of IL and passed 2 years ago. but never bought a bike.

keep in mind they put you on a 250 cc bike .. you pass you get a card to go down and get you class M

I took that bike out for a test ride to give my opinion on it.

as far as the bike goes it is fast!!! lady owned needs seat cover or new seat.

now here is where I don't know what to do?

like I said it is fast!! and I don't think he should get it because of his skills.

he is dead set on it.

I just don't want to see him go down on that thing at a high rate of speed.

I just hope he rides with me or by his self and learns that bike is not a 250 and to respect it.

so should I just sit by and let him get it with out being kind of brutal and honest about his skill level and how fast that thing can go?

You might recommend that he takes a refresher course and then the both of you taking an advanced riding course together where you use your own bikes. By doing it together you are not telling him he cant handle the bike but the both of you are just brushing up on your skills. That might help him understand what this bike can do and what his skill level is really at plus lets you see it also. Plus an instructor might be able to tell him constructively that he needs to work on certain skills.

Just a thought, but I guess it depends on the guy and how he reacts to being told things.

Good luck

Rick F.

He is going to do what he wants to do and the most you can do is give him guidance on how to safely ride.

Maybe take him to a parking lot and let him get use to the bike a few times before he heads out into the big wind.

I have a brother in law that has always loved fast cars, loves going to drag strip to watch but not compete. He has always had fast cars but never have I ever seen him drive fast. Never. Your friend may be of the same type of mind.

Just because it goes fast doesn't mean you have to do it.:superman:

No motorcycle will go faster than the operator twists the throttle. A 650 will go plenty fast enough to get killed on.

The way I see it, the only advantage to a smaller motorcycle is it's generally easier to pick up than a large one.

No motorcycle will go faster than the operator twists the throttle. A 650 will go plenty fast enough to get killed on.

The way I see it, the only advantage to a smaller motorcycle is it's generally easier to pick up than a large one.

agree 100%

the only concern should be if he can get it off the side stand and balance the machine.

i drive an Avalanche but i cant pick it up.

make sure the tires are safe and the dates are not as old as the machine.

I agree with everyone else. He has ridden before so I'd say that he may be a little rusty and needs to refresh his skills. I had taken a long brake from ridding and when I got back into it every one said oh you better get a bike with a small engine!! Well I did ride for a number of years and when I decided to take up the sport again I did a course with a dirt bike. Well I found that thing with the little motor more dangerous then anything I had ever ridden!!!! :yikes: I bought my self a Yamaha XJ750K now that things is bl**dy fast!!! :superman: But the feel of the bike is solid and way more controllable then the small CC engines. In other words you can die just as easily on a 250cc bike as a 1000cc bike. The rider determines the out come. :bikersmilie:

Do you know anything about his biking experience prior to 1988 Goat? How bout whether or not he can proficently ride a peddle bike? I know lots of people who rode bicycles when they were children and stop peddling when they were old enough to drive a car just to return to riding a bicycle many years later when they retired and take off on a pedal bike like they had never left it.. I know,, probably sounds Apples to Oranges BUT we humans are amazing creatures in retaining skills such as riding a motorcycle and the correlation between motorycycling skills and bicycling skills has also always amazed me..

That and relationships come in all shapes and sizes,,, did I say that right? :think: Not all relationships are created equal,,, still not quite what I am trying to get out :scratchchin:.. The depth of the friendship you share with your buddy will probably determine how you should approach this whole subject with him Goat (getting closer to saying what I am trying to say).. Have you asked him if he would like your opinion?

I took 20 years off from riding, when I was last riding it was on a KZ750 that was decked out for touring. After that 20 year break I got my 1st gen, just because it can go 100 MPH in third does not mean that I did and I am still alive with most of my skin still attached. My next door neighbor got a Suzuki Hayabusa as his FIRST EVER bike. That is a seriously fast bike and he is still alive. (I am still working on a chance to take it out for a spin.:))

Depending on your friends attitude at a minimum get him to a big empty parking lot to work on basic handling. Better would be to take some courses over again. Since he had you take it for the test ride for him, it sounds like he may be sensible enough to realize his limitations and to accept help and suggestions.

Good luck for the both of you.

I'll offer this and I am speaking from my personal experience. At 17, my very first bike was a Yamaha XS1100 :shock3:, yup. Before then the biggest bike I had been on was a 10 speed pedal bike. I am a big guy and was not interested in a smaller bike. I learned, passed my motorcycle test with it and rode that bike for 2 years without incident, but my big brother and father drilled one thing in my mind - DRIVE DEFENSIVELY. After 2 years I moved to a 1200 Venture and rode that one for about 4 years, but I forgot about the driving defensively thing :whistling: and got myself in a bunch of trouble but was lucky :confused24:to not get hurt in the process. I finally sold that one as I figured out I had access to more horsepower than skills and brains. :confused07: Did not ride for the next 25+ years. :crying:

3 years ago I decided I wanted to get back into it and got my current 2006 RSV. :cool10: I did not take a refresher course (still intent to take it, but have not gotten there yet - did read an excellent book on motorcycle handling and it was all about DEFENSIVE DRIVING). I know, no excuses for not taking the refresher course. That first summer with the new bike was all about facing my fears and getting used to the new bike. It was only after 6 months that I finally started to be more relaxed on the bike. I have had 2 other seasons since and intend to keep on riding but as I make mistakes, I make sure I register them in my mind and think on how I could have avoided them. Also I am back to the mantra of DEFENSIVE DRIVING. Guess the brains have finally caught up with the available horsepower.:stirthepot:

So after all of this what I would say to your friend is to get the bike, take the refresher course or even a full course and please DRIVE DEFENSIVELY!

After a 25 year layoff, I got back on a bike 3 years ago. When I quit, I rode a Kawi GPZ1100 and was considered by myself and peers to be an above average rider. 3 years ago I bought my Road Star, read a few books and took what was called a bike bonding course. Very glad I made the investment, I'm a much better rider now than I was back in the day. Regardless of your experience, proper training is always beneficial.

Suggest a course to your friend and take it with him.

well after a long talk I told him it is a good bike.

new brakes but the tires are about 4 years old? if I am reading the code date right on them?

the seat need to be recovered torn at the seams between rider and passenger area.

cowpuc he has been on a bicycle and still rides one with an electric motor on it.

also has one of then gas powerd 80 cc bicycle

at 6 ft 2 inches he has no problems holding it up. or just about any motorcycle I should think?

I gave him my ok and that we need to ride together.

I think it will work out. but he does weave a lot? at low speed.

he is going to pick it up this Friday.

I am going to change out the oil and spark plugs on it for him

just to be on the safe side. it was running last year the lady said her boyfriend changed out the oil last spring and she only put on 1500 miles?

it had stabilizer in the tank but I think I will drain it as the tank was not full .about a half a tank.

I will do my best to make sure it is safe for him. thanks every one