IGNORED

Riding ergonomics

videoarizona

Was looking on internet for suggestions about arm/shoulder/wrist height and reach for ultimate comfort on the 05 RSV. The 89 VR fits me like a glove after moving the bars around a bit. Not so on the RSV. Elbow and shoulders still hurt after a while. Feel like they are hanging... and it's tiring.

Found this web site: http://cycle-ergo.com/

Not sure what to make of it...maybe someone smarter than I can figure out what this means!? Interesting info but how does that equate to my comfort?

Basically, find your scoot, plug in your body numbers and look at the picture.

david

If the schematic is accurate, I used it to determine how much higher and in I want the handlebars when I add the risers next month. According to this, if I raise the bars .5" and bring them back 1.5" I should be pretty comfortable. Right now I reach too far and it adds to discomfort on longer trips.

The image shows your forward lean, knee angle, and hip angle....but doesn't have recommendations as far as I can see.

For my height/inseam (5'11"/32") it shows :

- forward lean - 0

- knee angle - 115

- hip angle - 84

I find the RSV to be very comfortable for me with no changes to the stock configuration.

My previous bike ('99 Virago 1100) was also comfortable :

- forward lean - 0

- knee angle - 95 (more bent than RSV)

- hip angle - 72 (more crouched than RSV)

You can play with the numbers (ie adjust steering height) but it doesn't say what the optimal would be.

My 83 fits me just about perfect as delivered:

http://i1174.photobucket.com/albums/r618/justonepict/04wi0689HoSkJUyUyUyUyUy0n_zps8qfhgbea.png

At least for comfortable cruising on the highway. When the pace picks up or the road gets beat up I prefer to have me feet back under my weight more.

Chuck in the Highway pegs and the big V is a perfect all day long heavy bomber for me....:)

Edited by Great White

For my height/inseam (5'10"/30")

- forward lean - 0

- knee angle - 129

- hip angle - 90

I have the Baron's 1 1/2 inch riser extensions. 2" pull back...which allows me to sit up straight...that solved the back problem. If left at the stock grip height, the risers lower the grips by 3" since the handlebars are already pull back type bars that were stock.

Guess I'll just keep trying out various grip heights to see which is more comfortable for me. Does anyone care to venture (pun intended) a thought as to where your arms should be to be most comfortable? IE, level...angled down toward wrist...??

For my height/inseam (5'10"/30")

- forward lean - 0

- knee angle - 129

- hip angle - 90

I have the Baron's 1 1/2 inch riser extensions. 2" pull back...which allows me to sit up straight...that solved the back problem. If left at the stock grip height, the risers lower the grips by 3" since the handlebars are already pull back type bars that were stock.

Guess I'll just keep trying out various grip heights to see which is more comfortable for me. Does anyone care to venture (pun intended) a thought as to where your arms should be to be most comfortable? IE, level...angled down toward wrist...??

Somewhere around forearms level to the ground is supposed to be the most comfortable. Wrist should be angled out and down, as is the mostly normal position with forearms level. Just like your knees, you want your elbow joint open as much as possible for comfort and blood flow.

The real issue (I find) is shoulders. Riding with the weight of you arms forward of the body tends to tire my shoulders. I like to have my upper arm as vertical as possitble, as is the normal hanging posture for them.

Of course, everyone will be a little different (no two people are built exactly the same) and will have a variation on what feels the most comfortable for them...

:)

Interesting David,, I poked around at that link and cant quite a handle on the whole thing either - simply not enough parameters to actually be affective in determining bar types for so many different ride styles and personal needs IMHO..

I am with you 100 and a gazzillion percent about the Gen 1's "fitting" me perfectly too.. I think the main reason for this is the ease of adjustabilty found at several points - especially the bars.. Matter of fact, about the only scoots I have found that are even close in comfort for MY ride style have been Chops I have built..

I have seen a number of studies thru the years on arm/shoulder/leg/back/neck/wrist positioning for the most comfortable ride and, in all honesty - I dont think there is such a thing - we are all different with all different positioning needs in obtaining optimal comfort = especially if we wanna ride sun up to sundown for weeks on end.. My particular optimal position is noted in the pic that @mirider found and passed on to me.. What you see in that pic denotes one of my personal optimal positions derived thru many miles of CTFW..

If I were playing with trying to find this optimal position on a 2nd Gen I would have to bend up a set of old dirt bike bars to match closely to the position and width of where I have my 1st Gens set, support the 2nd Gen in an up right position, position my forward controls and forward ride pegs, rest back on Tippy, take a pillow or foam and place it on the tank to support the bars in multiple positions. Move the bars around until I "felt" just the right spot.. Start measuring for riser's and bars from there..

There are LOTS and LOTS of bar selections to choose from - dont forget ATV's, Dirt Bikes as well as Street bars!! Also, there are lots of places who are now building custom bars.. Personally,, I could care less what the experts say about what is or what is not optimal,,, I let this worn out old body make that decision.. :big-grin-emoticon:

attachment.php?attachmentid=100684&d=1437338366

Puc & BJ,

I spent some time today in garage moving the bars around. I think I may be to high now...my forearm is level at this point of adjustment...but will find out during a 30 minute each way breakfast ride in the morning.

Scott....yea...the 1st Gen's bars I pulled back toward me then angled down so my upper arm is more relaxed. I'm going to try and duplicate that on 2nd gen. I don't want to get new bars but will do what I need to I guess to be more comfortable!

Thanks for thoughts guys.....

BTW, Scott...I couldn't lay back like that...scare the pudding out of me!

Grins!

david

Puc & BJ,

I spent some time today in garage moving the bars around. I think I may be to high now...my forearm is level at this point of adjustment...but will find out during a 30 minute each way breakfast ride in the morning.

Scott....yea...the 1st Gen's bars I pulled back toward me then angled down so my upper arm is more relaxed. I'm going to try and duplicate that on 2nd gen. I don't want to get new bars but will do what I need to I guess to be more comfortable!

Thanks for thoughts guys.....

BTW, Scott...I couldn't lay back like that...scare the pudding out of me!

Grins!

david

Keep in mind that control trumps comfort every time.

Being comfortable on the bike is nothing if you can't make emergency maneuvers with confidence and control.

Or if just might be the most comfortable ride you ever had right into the rear 1/4 panel of the soccer mom's minivan that just pulled out in front of you.....

Yep.....understand that, BJ.

Today's ride was good...better than expected. If I lean forward a bit once in a while, the arms relax. That tells me I should have bars that pull back more. Unfortunately, that is getting the bars to close to my waist so I'm going to stick with what I have and keep experimenting. I'll mark where I am and drop them down considerably for next ride. See what that does. Today was 2 hours...141 miles.