IGNORED

Fix for broken tab on side panel

Just did a quick fix for my side panel on my 1989 Venture. Thought I would share in case others need the info. Forgive the first picture as it turned out just a little fuzzy, but it is a picture of the original tab. Picture 2 is the tab after the fix. Basically, the tab broke off right at the base, so I cut a little of the tip off, and drilled a hole straight through. Used a 1 inch 6x32 round headed screw with a washer and nut and loctite. Hope it helps someone.

One mistake may have been the loctite. It's been known to deteriorate the plastic used on these bikes.

:sign yeah that:

I have used clips from a ford inner door panel that slid right over the mount and slide into the hole. You might want to take it off and clean the locktite off and just go with a nylock nut

:happy34:

PS....Good idea on your part :)

Just think, a newby to the site, already has great tips for OUR bikes, while the 2nd genners keep on posting about their problems and how to get someone to fix'em for them!!!! Way to go BJ!! Welcome home!

Dan

:bighug:

Sorry if I offended you, just trying to have a little fun!

Sorry if I offended you, just trying to have a little fun!

Gene, that's all that we're trying to do, too. Problem is, it's hard for a 2nd genner to get the upper hand on a first genner, cause it's hard for you to keep up with us!!!!!!!!!! Around here, you just gotta have a thick skin or lather up in oil to let it slide off of you! Only time I get offended is if somebody stiffs me for a job or a check bounces from one! It's all in good fun!!

Dan

Just did a quick fix for my side panel on my 1989 Venture. Thought I would share in case others need the info. Forgive the first picture as it turned out just a little fuzzy, but it is a picture of the original tab. Picture 2 is the tab after the fix. Basically, the tab broke off right at the base, so I cut a little of the tip off, and drilled a hole straight through. Used a 1 inch 6x32 round headed screw with a washer and nut and loctite. Hope it helps someone.

Extreme innovation. This is a very useful tip for a very common problem. Thanks

Hey Gunny

When we get together I will show you the ball end stud that was sent to me for repairing a missing mount. It works fantastic. I am waiting for a few of them to show up from McMaster Carr. Oh, I will call you on the radio and the ride tomorrow nite. I am setting the map now. Nice job on the machine screw Boomer, good way to save the original mount..

JB

Thanks for info on prong tabs. I've found permanent fix for flat tab that break off under radio panels. Check pics. I built a cardboard dam duct taped to inside fairing under tabs and filled space with fiberglass resin the trick is to let nut clip with screw turned all the way in harden in place with the resin and at the last moment before resin completely hardens take the screw out which leaves a void within hardened resin for screws so that you can screw in and out.

I also poured resin in the corners of the inside of fairings where stress cracks tend to appear and proped fairing up at an angle so resin would stay in place and not run while solidifying. this reinforces corners so that stress cracks don't reapear.