IGNORED

Son broke down in AZ I may need help

buddy

My Son just called me and said he has no fluid in his transmission? he said it would only do 25 mph said fluid was on the tip of the stick hoping he did not burn up the transmission? waiting for him to call me back and let me know.

He dint know where he was at other than being by I-40 so I am waiting for him to call me back he said he would look at his gps and let me know where hes at

If I need help I'm hoping someone in AZ can help me out as he is heading back to Camp Pendleton

I will post what I find out asap my phone number is in my profile

Edited by buddy

he is in flagstaff AZ at a store called express stop he said he put in 2 1/2 qts of trans.fluid and hes going to drive it around the area and go back to the store and recheck hes fluid level and see if it shifts ok?

What kind of bike? Most use same oil in engine and transmission.

I don't know of any bike that uses tranny fluid. Geeez----- I'd guess

the son is driving a cage. I didn't see that the OP say anything about a bike.

Guest tx2sturgis
I don't know of any bike that uses tranny fluid. Geeez----- I'd guess

the son is driving a cage. I didn't see that the OP say anything about a bike.

Big Twin Harleys use a transmission 'fluid'...usually called transmission 'oil' (since thats whats in there, oil)... but the first 2 posts make me sure we are talking about a car or pickup.

Buddy, if this is an older vehicle it may have very slowly lost transmission fluid over time, and then overheated a bit climbing the 2000+ feet from Holbrook to Flagstaff.

Hopefully the replacement fluid got him going again.

If the vehicle is a newer one, something may have suddenly leaked or possibly he is pulling a trailer? Overheating is fairly common in that area, due to the elevation changes, especially if he was traveling on I-17 up from Phoenix.

Let us know how hes doing when you can.

Buddy, as you can see...people are trying to help you, but...we all need a lot more info from you than you originally posted. Please provide the exact year, make and model of the vehicle your son is driving. We have had to assume that he is driving, not riding, so it must be a car or pickup. We need explicit details of the vehicle, so we can use our cumulative minds to diagnose, and then give a prognosis of the problem.

Here is an example of what we need:

He was driving a 1958 Edsel Pacemaker, with an automatic trans...the kind with the push buttons on the dash, and he has a 390 V-8. The car has 285,000 miles on it, and he is towing a 32' travel trailer behind it.

Okay, I am old, so shoot me:backinmyday:

im thinking a cage and to lose 2 1/2 in the tranny could be cooling lines to the rad. or front seal in tranny could even be rear seal that would make more sense if rear wheel drive and rear seal going bad tail of tranny is always down when climbing elevation if front wheel drive check cv boots on axle shaft on both sides tell him to buy extra fluid and check every 100 mi.

Sorry for the wait I been having trouble with the net.

Sorry about the info. on my Son

He has a 99 Trans-am and yes his trans. went out he lost third-fourth gears he has rev.-low-second so he was able to drive it to a near by Motel

I left 6pm after posting on here and drove over night to get to him which was 6am the next morning once I got there I look the car over and saw where his leak was coming from looks to be his trans. tail housing is cracked and leaking pretty good wont know much more until I pull it out and tear it down for more info.

I rented a U-Haul car hauler and then took him to the Flagstaff Airport and he made it to Camp Pendleton that day and I drove back home which took longer with the trailer and car but I made it back in late last night and after 1800+miles I am tired

and make to my day worse once I got in from the trip I found my Dads dog had gotten ran over so I buried him today

Thanks for asking and trying to help