IGNORED

MP3 aux input 1984 Royale

What is the easiest way to add an aux input to the stock gen 1 stereo? I am currently using a cassette interface for my MP3 player but it really bites since every time I hit a bump it knocks out the sound & I have to keep hitting the reverse tape switch under the mute. I never use the cassette so removing it would not be a problem.

Please keep in mind I am electronically challenged so pix or specifics would be real helpful.

Thanks

This thread is very good. The DIN connector PDF file pretty much tells you everything that you need.

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=44070

Check my post in this thread

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=63638

Use the switch from FRYS. Its easier and better than the relay.

If you want, bring it to Rochester. I would be happy to help.

Ray

http://www.raymondstacy.com/pinout.jpg

Edited by rstacy

Ok so looking to add an aux input to the Gen 1 so that I can get rid of the cassette interface. The reason is every time I hit a bump in the road the audio kicks out. I have to keep hitting the channel change button to get it to work again. In the garbage highways here in Hampton Roads, I'm hitting the button every 10 seconds.

I also notice that the left (or right) speaker will begin crackling. I have to twist the volume to clear that up. (I have cleaned the potentiometer) So as you can imagine I have been spending a lot of time driving with one hand.

This being the case I'm fed up of driving distracted so I want to swap out the stereo. Since I don't have a CB & don't need the intercom I guess I can gut it all out.

My big concern is power usage.

1. How much power does the stock radio & amp draw?

2. Should I replace the amp as well or just put in a stereo & remove amp

3. I would appreciate any stereo recommendations.

I guess any decent stereo would work (using a marine weatherproof faceplate) If I use an amp, what draw would you recommend?

Ok so looking to add an aux input to the Gen 1 so that I can get rid of the cassette interface. The reason is every time I hit a bump in the road the audio kicks out. I have to keep hitting the channel change button to get it to work again. In the garbage highways here in Hampton Roads, I'm hitting the button every 10 seconds.

i did this... Mitzu 500w amp for mp3. cost about 40 bucks. then i put in some decent speakers that hook right up to amp. bypass cassette and amp/radio thingy altogether. the "low input" rca jacks have a cord that has a 3.5mm jack at other end to plug into mp3. i put the amp where the cb used to be, removed cassette and radio.

i did this... Mitzu 500w amp for mp3. cost about 40 bucks. then i put in some decent speakers that hook right up to amp. bypass cassette and amp/radio thingy altogether. the "low input" rca jacks have a cord that has a 3.5mm jack at other end to plug into mp3. i put the amp where the cb used to be, removed cassette and radio.

Sweet rig. Like I said I NEVER use the radio or cassette so this is perfect!

I have already replaced my speakers on my bike with a pair of Harman Kardon so I'm good to go there.

I can also keep the oem rig & toggle the Mitzu , just to play the MP3

Where did you pick up the amp?

the VentureMP3 guys from Spain have a plug and play interface for the G1 ventures , its a simple plug it in and go install under your existing radio, and it gives you a plugin.for about 60 bucks I think.

for another 50you can add a bluetooth unit to it so you dont need to have any wires plugged in from your mp3 player. they had a you tube video about it but i cant find it right now. Here is the link for thei Venturemp3 for the G2 bikes,http://www.venturemp3.com drop Jesus a line and tell him what you want and make sure they know youre with venturerider there is a 10% off sale on until early August.

link to the ventureaudiol;ink http://ventureaudiolink.wordpress.com/

Brian

Edited by friesman
added links and checked price

ebay. it says 500w, but i doubt it. however, it is a great improvement over stock. maybe, double the volume.

Thanks Mike!

Done deal. Got one $33 shipped.

This will be the easiest add on to the bike I've ever done.

Appreciate the help!

Andy

the VentureMP3 guys from Spain have a plug and play interface for the G1 ventures , its a simple plug it in and go install under your existing radio, and it gives you a plugin.for about 30 or 40 bucks bucks I think.

Brian

Thanks Brian. I looked into that unfortunately my oem radio seem to have an issue with the volume potentiometer. Every so often either channel crackles & cuts out. I have to keep playing with the volume knob to get it back.

Mikes option may just fix my problem with minimal cost & effort. ..and I get to leave the oem intact

Edited by cabreco

Thanks Brian. I looked into that unfortunately my oem radio seem to have an issue with the volume potentiometer. Every so often either channel crackles & cuts out. I have to keep playing with the volume knob to get it back.

Mikes option may just fix my proble with minimal cost & effort. ..and I get to leave the oem intact

Thats my favourite way to fix things too, cheaper and easy.......

I'd personally leave the radio alone, then get one of these amps. Cut the power cable, or steal one off an old power supply, wire it into a switch, or accessory so it doesn't stay on and kill the battery. Cut the speaker cables and run them into this. It has an RCA and 1/8" jack on the back. I haven't used this one, but it looks like a nice little one from Parts Express. Looks nicer than the Mitzu, anyway.

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/LP-2020A-Lepai-Tripath-Class-T-Amplifier/dp/B0049P6OTI/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1343560875&sr=1-1&keywords=amplifier]Amazon.com: LP-2020A+ Lepai Tripath Class-T Hi-Fi Audio Mini Amplifier with Power Supply: Electronics@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41q0jtoKYqL.@@AMEPARAM@@41q0jtoKYqL[/ame]

I'd personally leave the radio alone, then get one of these amps. Cut the power cable, or steal one off an old power supply, wire it into a switch, or accessory so it doesn't stay on and kill the battery. Cut the speaker cables and run them into this. It has an RCA and 1/8" jack on the back. I haven't used this one, but it looks like a nice little one from Parts Express. Looks nicer than the Mitzu, anyway.

im not sure if its nicer, could be. i just need an easy fix to my issues. i have the amp wired to Skydocs fuse block. so, its switched power. doesnt stay on. the Mtizu came with the harnesses and 3.5mm cable, the new speakers (PYLE) came with new wire. i removed windshield and rewired everything. total time was about an hour. except for the phonecall to Earl cuz i was having a brain fart.....hey Earl, if you read this...wheres my 10Amp fuse!! inside joke people.

Had one simular to that and one of those small AM-FM motorcycle radios on my Kawaski. Worked pretty well and gave me a place to pug in an aux feed. The small radio I had also had an out so I could run ear buds if I wanted on a longer trip.

I'm not sure if its nicer, could be. i just need an easy fix to my issues. i have the amp wired to Skydocs fuse block. so, its switched power. doesnt stay on. the Mtizu came with the harnesses and 3.5mm cable, the new speakers (PYLE) came with new wire. i removed windshield and rewired everything. total time was about an hour.

I wouldn't use Pyle. Although, it won't be a big deal for what the install is. However, there are higher-quality solutions for replacements that are still inexpensive.

Just before my trip to Nelson I picked up a Sena SMH10 Bluetooth dual headset primarily for its intercom features. It is early days so far but it worked really well for the 5 days of our trip and for our weekend day trips since then. The battery had no problem lasting for 10 hours during the day and only took about 2 1/2 hours to fully recharge at night. Each headset came with a wall charger and a power point charger that can be used during operation if necessary. The above may be a bit off topic but the headset will connect directly to an MP3 player and to a cell phone, radar detector and GPS through bluetooth.

The Sena SM10 Dual Stream Bluetooth Stereo Transmitter get's it right back on track though. This dandy device can be plugged into a radio, MP3 player and even directly into a five pin DIN connector to interface with the Venture Royal and Goldwing OEM non Bluetooth audio equipment. It will support dual streaming so both headsets can listen to the same audio source.

There is also a variation of the device for bikes that do not come with a CB, the SR10 Bluetooth Two-way Radio Adapter which will connect to two way radios.

Opens up a whole new world of possibilities don't-cha think? :cool10:

your very welcome!

Hey Mike,

I got the amp today & wired it up. Works great! Sounds just like the OEM.

I did have to disconnect the speakers from the OEM radio. Sharing them cause a slight distortion.

One thing that I cant figure out. Everything works & sounds great unless I plug the MP3 Player int the USB charging port on the bike. Then a get bad distortion. Do you have the same issue?

i dont charge it on the bike. i run my gps on the bike and precharge the mp3. mines a sony, and holds charge for about 15hrs, so i never need to charge it on bike. the mittzu is a stand alone unit on my bike, not hooked up to anything else. sorry if that doesnt help....

Yeah I'm running it stand alone as well. I'll be replacing the readio/cassette rig with the blank panel tomorrow. The amp does work great. I'm real happy with the sound. My PHilips MP3 also lasts about 15 hours as well.

I did send Mitzu an email to see if they can suggest something. If they give me anything useful, I'll pass it on.

Thanks again for the suggestion on the amp!

i need a black panel. are you making one?

I have one that I cut a hole in to put a standard automotive radio into, youre welcome to that if ya want it. I use the helmet radios now, and have the radio right outta the bike and ordered a new filler panel again. I got it a year ago from partshark but not sure if theyre still available new

Brian