well took the bike out today made it about 6 miles. started to slow down. then i stopped and could not move. didnt bring any tools with me that was stupid. stuck on one of the busiest street in town. cant move. cop didnt even stop. a homeowner let me use his small socket set to bleed the linked brake front caliper. then i could move how can you tell how full the reservoir is supposed to be. i think it was to full and expanded putting on the brakes or am i missing something. flushed and rebuilt all parts made sure all holes were open dont know how to check amount of fluid. filled till full.

well took the bike out today made it about 6 miles. started to slow down. then i stopped and could not move. didnt bring any tools with me that was stupid. stuck on one of the busiest street in town. cant move. cop didnt even stop. a homeowner let me use his small socket set to bleed the linked brake front caliper. then i could move how can you tell how full the reservoir is supposed to be. i think it was to full and expanded putting on the brakes or am i missing something. flushed and rebuilt all parts made sure all holes were open dont know how to check amount of fluid. filled till full.

I try to keep mine to the top of the sight glass with handlebars centered.

When I turn bars to left I can see air/fluid line.

Gary

my problem is the back reservoir how to fill correctly all i see is the fill plug.

For that one I have a very small suction bulb, Family heirloom actually, my dad used it back in 60's when he was splicing 8mm home movies together. I fill it to top, then use bulb to get 'some' out. I am guessing about a 1/2" below the bottom of the fill hole.

Gary

my problem is the back reservoir how to fill correctly all i see is the fill plug.

Be very careful opening that plug. More than a few have broke their entire resorvior when the plug would not break free. If it won't open easily, I would remove resorvior where you can work on it. Once you get plug loose, add anti-seize to the thread.

Rodney,

Have you taken the rear master cylinder and reservoir apart? If not I'll bet dollars to donuts that your rear master cylinder is full of crap and not letting the expansion hole in it do it's job. Usually it's the rear that locks up, due to the brake line being so close to the exhaust and heating up. Thats where your thermal expansion will get you, the relief hole is plugged and the expanding fluid is going to go somewhere...to the rear caliper and lock it up. It happened to me trying to head to a M&E trying to outrun a storm. Was only about 15 miles from home so I headed back right into that rain.

The rear master is a bit of a pain to judge on it's fullness, I usually get it to about half an inch from the top. I take metal hanger and dip it down past the top lip, mark that spot and pull it out to see where it's setting at.

Be very careful opening that plug. More than a few have broke their entire resorvior when the plug would not break free. If it won't open easily, I would remove resorvior where you can work on it. Once you get plug loose, add anti-seize to the thread.

Funny you should mention that. It happened to me this very day. Riding and wrenching on Ventures for 30 yrs and first time I've even heard of it.

Curt

Funny you should mention that. It happened to me this very day. Riding and wrenching on Ventures for 30 yrs and first time I've even heard of it.

Curt

:crying: hope that doesn't mean another broke reservior!

• 3 weeks later...

i know it the second voyage but this time i made it back home. lol i knew i was excited but the wife went with me. first time on a bike. we rode across town and through some housing editions lots of starts and stops. bike was flawless. thought she would be done but we are going back out tomorrow loved it. thank everyone on this site you all made it possible:hurts::hurts:.

i took the calipers off of bike. popped the pistons and cleaned off the seal with brake fluid and a rag. made a big difference. you can only take one out at a time put a piece of wood for the piston to hit that way no damage. dont think the brakes are very strong on this bike.

i took the calipers off of bike. popped the pistons and cleaned off the seal with brake fluid and a rag. made a big difference. you can only take one out at a time put a piece of wood for the piston to hit that way no damage. dont think the brakes are very strong on this bike.

The MKI's aren't very good, the MKII's are better and some, like myself have installed R1's on our MKII's. Going with Stainless braided brake lines is a good idea to improve the braking performance on the MKI's

There should be an accordion shaped expansion rubber in the rear master cylinder that fills about 1\2 the reservoir, and works just fine, never have to worry whether it's too full, just fill it to the top,,,,,, now if the relief hole is plugged, you have a problem and that is not the fact that there is too much fluid, but that the air can't go anywhere.