IGNORED

win 2000 pro

rod

This is for you computer guys. I have been using win 2000 pro for years and never had a problem, no crashes or problems with any of my programs ever. The computer runs great but now the browsers and anti virus software does not work. I have an OEM XP disk. I want to up grade but can't get it to load. I tried to format from the bios but can't find the right menu. How do I get to the DOS promp to format the drive so I can re load the operating system or upgrade from the disk. I have backed up all my drives on an external hard drive. HELP Rod

Thanks but my operating system is win 2000 pro and the XP disk will not do upgrade or repair. It wants to install a new operating system on the same drive. I guess I can go back into the BIOS and try to find the disk tool to format the drive from there, I was hoping there was a better way. Rod

You won't be able to use that XP cd to upgrade your OS unless the cd you have is the "XP Upgrade" disk.

What you'll have to do if you want XP is to boot from the XP cd and go thru the menu and choose to delete the existing partition and then create a new one. Only thing with this is your entire hard drive will be erased so if you have any data on it that you want to keep you'll have to back up your data before you start.

Does this answer your question?

Thanks but my operating system is win 2000 pro and the XP disk will not do upgrade or repair. It wants to install a new operating system on the same drive. I guess I can go back into the BIOS and try to find the disk tool to format the drive from there, I was hoping there was a better way. Rod

I don't know what kind of BIOS you're running but I haven't seen a hard drive format utility in a BIOS for years ... but then again, maybe I wasn't looking .. but I have been into various BIOSes several times.

If you were thinking of formatting the drive, then do it when you boot from the XP CD ... you will have that choice there.

FWIW, You might find that even in WinXP now, current browsers, etc might not work as XP support has been discontinued for a while now I believe.

I believe XP is being supported until 2014.. An OEM disk must be installed by booting to the CD and following the instructions. Cannot be installed from within an operating system. You may have to change the boot order in the BIOS to be able to boot to the CD.

Well I got the disk formated and started to insall and it won't take the product key that came with the disk. Old disk in the package with the lable withthe key but it says invalid key??? any suggestions other than buy a new disk or go to Lunix? Thanks Rod

Make sure the sticker Key is for the right version of XP you are trying to install. If you have a Pro disk and use a Home Key it won't work or vise versa. If you have the right versions.. double tripple and quadruple check what you put in. i have trouble with 8 vs B or Q vs 0 with how small the writing is.. so check them as well. Let me know how you make out.

Guest tx2sturgis

Have you thought about installing Linux?

I am loving this Linux Mint...and its a free operating system...that just works.

(I never have any luck trying to switch users to Mac, since they are never free, at least not on days that end in the letter Y.)

But Linux Mint is a great choice, its FREE, it runs reliably, and there are lots of free software packages available.

Plus, you can take it for a test drive with a demonstration CD, called a 'LiveCD'. I can burn one for you and mail it or you can order one for $10 on the website below. There are no product 'keys'...and you can load it on as many machines as you like.

Linux Mint can even be installed alongside your existing OS, so you wont lose any data, and you wont lose winders if you still need it for some reason.

Now just thinking...you may be having a hard-drive problem....if its been many years since that drive was new, and its having issues, it COULD be time to replace it. (It may be getting lots of bad sector errors or a variety of other problems) Some drives last 10-15 years, but some drives are having problems after just 3 or 4 years.

So take a look at Linux, it does just about everything winders does. (if you are a heavy duty gamer, then Linux might not be for you, but I doubt you are, since your using win2000)

www.linuxmint.com

Keep retying the key. Make sure its a HOLO key. Meaning its got holographics. If not. I can see if I got a pro key. People throw out computers all the time and fail to take those key #s :)

Other than that. use the System Builder disc. Both should have same key, and use same key. With the exception of the preinstallation one, which uses another key built on the system.

I had to hook up my old floppy drive and reformat using dos. I tried the systen builder disk and got error message setupdd.sys could not load code 32768. Reloaded the xp disk and key not valid still. The disk is win xp servic pack 2 2002vers. Could these disks be for a prpriatory system (my vio disks only work on that laptop for example). I have tried another key and no go there either. Rod

I had to hook up my old floppy drive and reformat using dos. I tried the systen builder disk and got error message setupdd.sys could not load code 32768. Reloaded the xp disk and key not valid still. The disk is win xp servic pack 2 2002vers. Could these disks be for a prpriatory system (my vio disks only work on that laptop for example). I have tried another key and no go there either. Rod

regardless of proprietary or not, the key is tied to the OS, not the hardware so a valid key would work.

As for proprietary Windows OS, Windows itself is not but some PC manufacturers will create a "restore" or "reinstallation" CD and that could be specific to the PC hardware itself.

If you have just a WinXP CD, install from it only. You should be able to boot from the CD and follow the on-screen prompts. During that process, it should display info about what partition to use ... in your case you'd tell it to use the existing C drive partition and then have it reformat (as opposed to installing a new, second OS on the same drive).

heck, if you were here, I could "lend" you a WinXP CD as I only have about 50 of them LOL

Could be..... I don't know how... other feel about this option I'm about to hand you, but...

I could send you a duplicate of my OEM PRO, or OEM HE both are SP1. SP2 sometimes flakes out some of the OEM keys, and SP3... don't get me started.

Or you can... ahem... obtain a copy of the OEM Pro, or OEM HE XPs........ just don't use the cd keys they give you, try and use the ones you got.

On a side note, its too bad your not closer, I'd hop on down, and fix you right up. (actually, scratch that, you ARE close enough... just that, well, someones gotta cover gas ;) and the time I take off work)

TX2 Thanks so much for sharing the LINUX MINT I am using it right now.

learning as I go. I am REALLY thinking of using it FULL time. really runs fast

and no worries of getting virus's :happy65: Just made my ISO disk and am running off

it right now to see if I like it. and I DO ! :thumbsup2:

Jeff

Thanks to all you who helped me. With the help of wizard765 (Wayne) we found that the folder for the disk was older than the disk, old key newer disk. Now to reload and set everything up. Thanks again Rod