IGNORED

Filter removal on an 1800 wing

Pam

Thanks guys

Silver T

I have tried the punch method method in the past with cars and have not had much sucsess, Wound up going right down to the filter base using a chisel to finish the job. I haven't tried channel locks yet... never thought of it I did try one of those rubber strap wrenches but was starting to bend the fileter.

Looks like I might have to get the wrench

Thanks guys

Silver T

I have tried the punch method method in the past with cars and have not had much sucsess, Wound up going right down to the filter base using a chisel to finish the job. I haven't tried channel locks yet... never thought of it I did try one of those rubber strap wrenches but was starting to bend the fileter.

Looks like I might have to get the wrench

I always use the Channel Lok pliers. Very easy and no reason to buy a filter wrench to do the same job. I use 440s.

I always use a channel-loc ... at least now and here's why ....

When I bought my '06 RSMV back in '08, it was the first scoot I had with a spin-on filter. I couldn't get it off so I drilled a large hole thru it and stuck a pry bar thru and loosened it.

Later, when I emptied the oil drain pan, I found all these "metal filings" in the bottom and immediately freaked. Thought I'd bought a POS with internal problems LOL .... I panicked about that for a few minutes or so and then a light bulb came on .... and I started laffing at myself ... of course, it was the shavings from drilling the hole!!! :doh:

Since then I've used the channel-loc pliers.

I am convinced and will be pulling out the channel lock's, Might take a day or two to get at it, the to do list is getting pretty long... I will let you know how she pans/drains out. I have changed the oil but just couldn't get the filter off

I always use a channel-loc ... at least now and here's why ....

When I bought my '06 RSMV back in '08, it was the first scoot I had with a spin-on filter. I couldn't get it off so I drilled a large hole thru it and stuck a pry bar thru and loosened it.

Later, when I emptied the oil drain pan, I found all these "metal filings" in the bottom and immediately freaked. Thought I'd bought a POS with internal problems LOL .... I panicked about that for a few minutes or so and then a light bulb came on .... and I started laffing at myself ... of course, it was the shavings from drilling the hole!!! :doh:

Since then I've used the channel-loc pliers.

Thanks for the reminder and a chuckle at your expense back in the day! :rotfl::rotfl:

Brian

Thanks for the reminder and a chuckle at your expense back in the day! :rotfl::rotfl:

Brian

Well, if you like that one, here's another....

Out for Mothers Day ride yesterday ... stopped at a popular Starbuck's along the way (where a lot of the bikers stop) ... had coffee, jawed with a few and then went to leave.

Bike wouldn't start :bang head: Side stand switch? ... nope! Stop switch? ... nope! OK, now why isn't neutral one up? ... must be in second ... one down ... nope!! WTF ???? Finally found neutral and got 'er started and off we went.

Enroute back, stopped at a lookout. Went to leave and same thing ... started panicing ... WTF?? Found neutral and got 'er started ....

Come to realize you can start it in 1st (with clutch in which is what I usually do), neutral ... but above that ya can't ... or at least it wouldn't for me. Problem was, I didn't realize in both situations that I hadn't shifted down from 3rd. :doh: :doh:

Haven't got to the channel locks yet, I never put this filter on I think a dealer did because it is a new to me bike I bought at a dealer and was all serviced and ready to roll. and yep righty tight lefty loosey.

• 2 weeks later...
I am convinced and will be pulling out the channel lock's, Might take a day or two to get at it, the to do list is getting pretty long... I will let you know how she pans/drains out. I have changed the oil but just couldn't get the filter off
i got a wrench from napa the right diameter, the trick is putting the wrench af the end of the filter so it won't crush it when you put the twist on it. don't overtighten the new one. just snug it.

• 2 weeks later...

Pam...it would be very wise to buy the correct oil filter wrench, like the Honda brand one, or a good aftermarket one.

Here is why: I have owned 3 GL1800 Wings...ridden them to a total of just over 300,000 miles. I have changed the oil and filter on these bikes a combined 75 times, and always change out the oil drain plug gasket/washer.

When I ride coast to coast, I always take the oil filter wrench with me, a 17mm snap on wrench for the drain plug, a new drain plug gasket/washer, and a new Honda oil filter. All of this is wrapped up nicely in a shop rag, and stuffed into my left saddlebag of the bike.

I can stop at any Walmart across the country and go inside, buy a drain pan, four quarts of oil, and go outside and change my oil. I leave the old oil in the drain pan for the Walmart service shop. They are not always happy, but...hey...my job is to change my oil and make more miles that day...not make Walmart happy.

By using the correct Honda oil filter wrench, which is very light weight, and slim, so it packs easy, you will always find it easier to change the filter, and not have to haul out the large channel lock pliers, or take them with you on a road trip.

For less than 10 bucks, the correct tool works better than anything else.

I would send you mine, for free, except I have a case of Honda filters that work perfectly on my '06 RSMTD, so...I need it.

Miles

Million Mile Rider:bighug:

The deed is done, went to Princess Auto and got a funny looking filter wrench, that works off a 3/8 drive ratched. Cranked the old filter off, Lubed up the new rubber gasket and spun the new one on hand tight, topped up the little bit of oil that was in the filter and she is ready to roll.

I like the Walmart oil change idea when on the road

thanks guys