IGNORED

Best seat for a RSTD

Ultimate seats, front , rear, driver backrest, wide sissy bar bad, and passenger armrests. Completely changed the experience. Before on long runs I had to walk around, stretch, convince myself to go again after every gas stop.

Now I gas and go, tank after tank. Wife likes it too, more importantly.

If you're budget conscious I'd definitely give the butler mod a try first. If not afraid to spend some $$ then Ultimate or Russell Day-Long seats are a popular option. The Russell seats may offer you a more customized fit than the Ultimate as they take into account your measurements and riding position when constructing your seat.

I have the Venture Pillow tops. Mine are stock, but I may Rick Butler do his majic on them. So far they have been good. Here is whats involved in making the venture rear pillion work. http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=60469

The front seat needs L brackets either fabricated or purchase. That being said I have done some 300 mile days but not any 500 mile days. Keep in mind, no matter what seat you have, your butt will have to get used to doing extended trips. My first long distance trip was with the Stock RSTD seat. My butt was sore in the beginning, but was less sore several days in after getting used to it.

If you are going to ride long distances alot, the Ultimate or Daylong may be worth the investment to you.

The Butler mod is very popular as mentioned but I don't have personal experience with it.

RSTDdog

The Rick Butler mod worked for me. Several 1000+ mile days. But now, 60,000 miles on, the foam is getting tired. I am making do with a Wally World "gel" seat cushion, alternating each tankful with the bare seat. Sometimes I'll sit on the pillion occasionally at the end of a long day to let the foam "reinflate".

Dave