IGNORED

Front wheel wobble

seabeetom

When I did mine, I changed my front tire even though it looked good. Tri-wing said the wear is different on 2 wheels than 3 so you need to a new tire to get rid of the shakes from the old tire. If tighting the steering head don't work, do the tire.

Ok, went to the tech section and read Freebird's 8/22/06 article on 'Adjusting Steering Head Bearings'. I'm going to assume and hope the same technique will apply to the Easy Steer as it did to the stock.....

Almost the same. The ez steer top tree is a little deeper than the stock one, it needs to be lifted just about off the tubes before you can get the wrench on it.

Almost the same. The ez steer top tree is a little deeper than the stock one, it needs to be lifted just about off the tubes before you can get the wrench on it.

Ok, Tnx for the heads up. Which brings to mind another question..... If I'm using a drift pin and hammer to tighten up the nuts, how do you check the torque?? Just wondering???

Ok, Tnx for the heads up. Which brings to mind another question..... If I'm using a drift pin and hammer to tighten up the nuts, how do you check the torque?? Just wondering???

:sign yeah that:

Using a drift you can only guess at how much torque is being applied. Take the time to do it right.

10:30 Friday Morning. Am following Freebirds direction for tightening the Steering Head Bearings. Front end is up and there is absolutely no resistance or drag in the steering to prevent or buffer the left/right turning of the front. Problem now is that it is on the lift, wheel off the ground, the top nut is loose, but there is no access to the lock nuts as nothing has moved. I'm guessing that something else somewhere has to be loosened to allow the triple tree to slide on the stem thus exposing the lock nuts?? Any help?? It is a Hannigan with the Hannigan EZsteer. Didn't have a 22mm wrench but an SAE 1 1/16th open end worked to loosen the nut.

Can you see the double lock nuts through the steering lock hole?

Nope. Ragtop called me and explained that the top plate of the EZsteer triple tree is thicker than stock therefore the nuts will not be exposed requiring the front fairing removal, handlebar removal and pinch allen bolts on inside of triple tree to be loosend so top plate can be tapped upward revealing the lock nuts. Off to the Hrdwre store to get some eyebolts to install in the ceiling so I can suspend the fairing when removed, then the fun begins....

The first 4 are from my 01 with the factory top tree the next 3 are the Hannigan ez steer top tree.

Jay, You should do as I did. The two E-Z Steer set screws rust. Used a Q-Tip to apply Rust Eater, and later, apply glossy black paint. Looks much better.

How's that wheel wobble now ?

Nope, didn't fix it... Got the fairing off & suspended.. Got the handlebars off... Tapped the triple tree plate up till it came off... Was able to get a fairly weak bite with a pair of channel locks, but barely got a budge from the locking nuts.

Put it all back together and only had a couple of pieces left over...lol

Ordered that wrench from dinges and will tear it back down and try again when I receive it. The trike is rideable, but the steering is too loose at low end speeds. Will see about ordering and installing a new front tire before our trip to Gatlinburg next month... Maybe that will help some..

Tnx again for the help Jay.

You need to back off the top locking ring before trying to tighten the lower ring. You'll find it much easier to do with the right tool. When you put the tool on your torque wrench it must be at a 90* angle to the torque wrench handle to get a proper reading.

The next time you take it apart it will go faster, don't ask how I know this !