IGNORED

Military Discount - Surprise

GolfVenture

For 37 years I always thought that only those on activate duty or retired military qualified for military discount at various retail business.

Two weeks ago I learn that some retailers also give similar discounts to anyone who has ever served in the military.

Home depot gives a 10% discount to all those who are serving or has ever served all year round. For those who do not have a military ID card they require you to should your dd214 discharge papers or your Veterans Administration ID card. Well I did not have neither but I did find my Veterans Admin Certificate of Eligibility for my VA loan when I purchased my 1st house. I did need to get the managers approval for the discount. I purchased $2000.00 worth of new carpet and pad for my basement project.

Now, you can not combine other discount programs with your military discount. You can only choose one.

If you also need a copy of your dd214 go to this link. It if free but it could take up to 6 months. http://dd214.us/

If you need it faster there are other sites that can do that for you for a fee. Just search for "Copy of dd214".

I am in the process of researching how to obtain a VA ID card so that I do not have to continue to carry my Veterans Admin Certificate of Eligibility paper. If anyone knows the process in how to obtain the VA ID cards please respond to this thread.

So today when I went to OReilys to buy some seafoam at buy 2 and get the 3rd free, I asked if O'Reilys gives a military discount and they said yes. But theirs is a bit more complex. First no discount on sales items. 2nd some items do not qualify. So you will need to ask. They did say that most batteries gets a 15% discount.

I'm going to be asking every retailer for this military discount. Also being that I'll be turning 60 soon, hopefully I'll be able to get some kind of a discount everywhere I go.

Hope this helps some of you.

Funny you mention this Brian....

I was in Lowe's yesterday and I had my Navy cap on. An older gent behind me also had a Navy cap on and started up a conversation. He served for 30 years and mentioned about Lowe's offering the same as Home Depot, 10% he mentioned I might want to check into that.

I am going to pay attention to this thread as I wouldn't mind finding out about getting an ID if I can :thumbsup2:

I have a VA card. I think they gave it to me when I went to the VA clinic. It works at Lowe's and Home Depot for sure. Ask. 10 per cent is a lot when you start buying building materials. And you can get a copy of your DD214 from your county courthouse. If it was registered there as it should have been?? Takes about 10 min.

You should have a copy in your discharge papers.

I use it at Lowe's quite often. I do have a VA ID card. I am a disabled vet, but I think you can get one, disabled or not, if you sign up at the VA hospital. You don't have to be disabled to use the VA hospital. They just bill your insurance like any other hospital, if you're not service connected.

I use my retired Military ID card everywhere we shop. It never hurts to ask for the military discount no matter what business you are patronizing. That 10% discount can really add up over the course of a year!! :cool10:

Boomer....who sez Gas Stations and Dairy Queen do not offer military discounts....:depressed:

You might want to check these out. Rod

(I have not verified any of this. Passed on by a friend).

Many of these are for 55+

As I was waiting in line behind an older gentleman at Wendy's recently, I heard him ask for his senior discount. The girl at the register apologized and charged him less. When I asked the man what the discount was, he told me that seniors over 55 gets 10% off everything on the menu, every day.

Being that age myself, I figured I might as well ask for the discount too. As I waited for my turn, I thought about the consequences of doing so. If the employee asked me for I.D., it could be embarrassing having to show my license. But if she didn't ask for proof, I would get depressed that I really did look "old" and that I didn't need to prove it. Since I always like to save money, I boldly asked for the discount, and sadly she just rang up the discount (even though I am convinced I don't look a day over 54).

Anyway, this incident prompted me to do some research, and I came across a list of restaurants, supermarkets, department stores, travel deals and other types of offers giving various discounts with different age requirements. I was actually surprised to see how many there are and how some of them start at the young age of 50.

This list may not only be useful for you, your friends and family, but it might also be appreciated by your clients. You might consider sending them an e-mail about it and link to our site in the e-mail, or maybe include it in your newsletter.

Hmmmm, Dunkin Donuts gives free coffee to people over 55. If you're paying for a cup every day, you might want to start getting it for free. Or pick something below that you can use.

Restaurants:

Applebee’s: 15% off with Golden Apple Card (60+)

Arby’s: 10% off (55+)

Ben & Jerry’s: 10% off (60+)

Bennigan’s: discount varies by location

Bob’s Big Boy: discount varies by location (60+)

Boston Market: 10% off (65+)

Burger King: 10% off (60+)

Captain D’s Seafood: discount varies on location (62+)

Chick-Fil-A: 10% off or free small drink or coffee (55+)

Chili’s: 10% off (55+)

CiCi’s Pizza: 10% off (60+)

Culver’s: 10% off (60+)

Denny’s: 10% off, 20% off for AARP members (55+)

Dunkin’ Donuts: 10% off or free coffee (55+)

Einstein’s Bagels: 10% off baker’s dozen of bagels (60+)

Fuddrucker’s: 10% off any senior platter (55+)

Gatti’s Pizza: 10% off (60+)

Golden Corral: 10% off (60+)

Hardee’s: $0.33 beverages everyday (65+)

IHOP: 10% off (55+)

Jack in the Box: up to 20% off (55+)

KFC: free small drink with any meal (55+)

Krispy Kreme: 10% off (50+)

Long John Silver’s: various discounts at participating locations (55+)

McDonald’s: discounts on coffee everyday (55+)

Mrs. Fields: 10% off at participating locations (60+)

Shoney’s: 10% off

Sonic: 10% off or free beverage (60+)

Steak ‘n Shake: 10% off every Monday & Tuesday (50+)

Subway: 10% off (60+)

Sweet Tomatoes: 10% off (62+)

Taco Bell: 5% off; free beverages for seniors (65+)

TCBY: 10% off (55+)

Tea Room Cafe: 10% off (50+)

Village Inn: 10% off (60+)

Waffle House: 10% off every Monday (60+)

Wendy’s: 10% off (55+)

White Castle: 10% off (62+)

Retail And Apparel:

Banana Republic: 10% off (50+)

Bealls: 20% off first Tuesday of each month (50+)

Belk’s: 15% off first Tuesday of every month (55+)

Big Lots: 10% off

Bon-Ton Department Stores: 15% off on senior discount days (55+)

C.J. Banks: 10% off every Wednesday (60+)

Clarks: 10% off (62+)

Dress Barn: 10% off (55+)

Goodwill: 10% off one day a week (date varies by location)

Hallmark: 10% off one day a week (date varies by location)

Kmart: 20% off (50+)

Kohl’s: 15% off (60+)

Modell’s Sporting Goods: 10% off

Rite Aid: 10% off on Tuesdays & 10% off prescriptions

Ross Stores: 10% off every Tuesday (55+)

The Salvation Army Thrift Stores: up to 50% off (55+)

Stein Mart: 20% off red dot/clearance items first Monday of every month (55+)

Grocery:

Albertson’s: 10% off first Wednesday of each month (55+)

American Discount Stores: 10% off every Monday (50+)

Compare Foods Supermarket: 10% off every Wednesday (60+)

DeCicco Family Markets: 5% off every Wednesday (60+)

Food Lion: 6% off every Monday (60+)

Fry’s Supermarket: free Fry’s VIP Club Membership & 10% off every Monday (55+)

Great Valu Food Store: 5% off every Tuesday (60+)

Gristedes Supermarket: 10% off every Tuesday (60+)

Harris Teeter: 5% off every Tuesday (60+)

Hy-Vee: 5% off one day a week (date varies by location)

Kroger: 10% off (date varies by location)

Morton Williams Supermarket: 5% off every Tuesday (60+)

The Plant Shed: 10% off every Tuesday (50+)

Publix: 5% off every Wednesday (55+)

Rogers Marketplace: 5% off every Thursday (60+)

Uncle Guiseppe’s Marketplace: 5% off (62+)

(I have been told that A&P supermarkets offers 5% off to people over 55 every Tuesday)

Travel:

Alaska Airlines: 10% off (65+)

Alamo: up to 25% off for AARP members

American Airlines: various discounts for 65 and up (call before booking for discount)

Amtrak: 15% off (62+)

Avis: up to 25% off for AARP members

Best Western: 10% off (55+)

Budget Rental Cars: 10% off; up to 20% off for AARP members (50+)

Cambria Suites: 20%-30% off (60+)

Clarion: 20%-30% off (60+)

Comfort Inn: 20%-30% off (60+)

Comfort Suites: 20%-30% off (60+)

Continental Airlines: no initiation fee for Continental Presidents Club & special fares for select destinations

Dollar Rent-A-Car: 10% off (50+)

Econo Lodge: 20%-30% off (60+)

Enterprise Rent-A-Car: 5% off for AARP members

Greyhound: 5% off (62+)

Hampton Inns & Suites: 10% off when booked 72 hours in advance

Hertz: up to 25% off for AARP members

Holiday Inn: 10%-30% off depending on location (62+)

Hyatt Hotels: 25%-50% off (62+)

InterContinental Hotels Group: various discounts at all hotels (65+)

Mainstay Suites: 10% off with Mature Traveler’s Discount (50+); 20%-30% off (60+)

Marriott Hotels: 15% off (62+)

Motel 6: 10% off (60+)

Myrtle Beach Resort: 10% off (55+)

National Rent-A-Car: up to 30% off for AARP members

Quality Inn: 20%-30% off (60+)

Rodeway Inn: 20%-30% off (60+)

Sleep Inn: 20%-30% off (60+)

Southwest Airlines: various discounts for ages 65 and up (call before booking for discount)

Trailways Transportation System: various discounts for ages 50 and up

United Airlines: various discounts for ages 65 and up (call before booking for discount)

U.S. Airways: various discounts for ages 65 and up (call before booking for discount)

Activities And Entertainment:

AMC Theaters: up to 30% off (55+)

Bally Total Fitness: up to $100 off memberships (62+)

Busch Gardens Tampa: $3 off one-day tickets (50+)

Carmike Cinemas: 35% off (65+)

Cinemark/Century Theaters: up to 35% off

U.S. National Parks: $10 lifetime pass; 50% off additional services including camping (62+)

Regal Cinemas: 30% off

Ripley’s Believe it or Not: @ off one-day ticket (55+)

SeaWorld Orlando: $3 off one-day tickets (50+)

Cell Phone Discounts:

AT&T: Special Senior Nation 200 Plan $29.99/month (65+)

Jitterbug: $10/month cell phone service (50+)

Verizon Wireless: Verizon Nationwide 65 Plus Plan $29.99/month (65+).

Miscellaneous:

Great Clips: $3 off hair cuts (60+)

Super Cuts: $2 off haircuts (60+)

If you served honorably , you need to take a dd214 and a short trip to your closest va clinic. Their are several levels of eligibility depending on where, when and what if anything happened to you while you served. Even at the lowest qualifying levels you qualify for a free health exam, flu and vaccine shots... and some preventative medical. They do some things I don't understand, I had to get a colonoscopy before I could have a hearing test. Medicines I get for $100.oo under insurance for a 15 day supply I get from the VA and I pay about $12.oo

for a thirty day supply. They bill my insurance but my ending co-pay just ends up costing me the $12.oo

This also qualifies for medical insurance under the new mandate

www.1010ez.med.va.gov/sec/vha/1010ez/

Not to upset anyone, but maybe read this first.

In response to the many concerns expressed by my readers, I contacted “my guy” at the Home Depot to confirm that they are still offering a military discount. He assures me that the Home Depot does still offer a 10% military discount all year, and also still offers the 10% veteran’s discount for weekends a year.

The discount is available everyday to active military service members and their spouses, as well as National Guard and reserve, retiree and disabled service members and their spouses. We do ask for one of the following IDs: Common Access Card (CAC); Veteran’s Identification Card (VIC – Must state “Service Connected” for the everyday discount); Uniformed Services ID Card (Tan, Red or Blue).

In addition, we offer a 10% discount to all military personnel and veterans during patriotic national holidays such as July 4th, Memorial Day, Labor Day and Veteran’s Day.

Check it out:

http://paycheck-chronicles.military.com/2011/05/05/home-depot-still-giving-the-military-discount-year-round-and-the-veterans-discount-4-weekends-a-year/ :confused24:

the best place to get a copy of your DD-214 is right here:

http://www.archives.gov/veterans/military-service-records/

it's free and shouldn''t take longer than 4-8 weeks- i wouldn't use any other 3rd party website to get it, especially one that charges for acquiring a document you can get free...

Edited by rosskind

• 4 weeks later...

For the last few weeks, I've been showing my DD-214 at Home Depot and getting the 10% discount with no problem. However, yesterday I was informed that they had changed their policy about a week ago......Now they are giving the discount only to vetrans who have retired from the service, not those of us that have merely served.

Frank D.

It just so happens that I work at a Home Depot. The policy is that we will give a military discount to all active duty military, retired military, and their dependents every day. Disabled Veterens with a "Service Related" disability ID card (the VA card will have "Service Related" on the card) will also be given the 10% discount on any purchase year round. Veterens (less than full retirement) only get the 10% discount on specific holiday events such as Memorial Day, Veterens Day, and 4th of July. Usually these events are for an entire weekend. I hope this makes the Home Depots poilicy a little clearer.

VA is crazy with some of their stuff. Turned me down for hearing aids. Claimed You can't prove that is combat related!!

It took me close to a year to get the VA to pay for my hearing aids. I now get the top of the line hearing aids and a check each month for my hearing loss. I went to my local VA assistance office in Pontiac Michigan to get help. They did all the paper work and sent it on to the VA Hospital in Detroit.

I have been good to go for the last two years. Find a local VA and have them work for you. 10 years ago I went to the VA Hospital in Detroit and they told me I had loss of hearing but would not do anything for me.

Check in your local town Yammer and get the help for free.

Good Luck

For the last few weeks, I've been showing my DD-214 at Home Depot and getting the 10% discount with no problem. However, yesterday I was informed that they had changed their policy about a week ago......Now they are giving the discount only to vetrans who have retired from the service, not those of us that have merely served.

Frank D.

This is what our local H.D. did about a year ago to us also. But if you have a disability card from the V.A you can still get it.

I have all my military records in the fire safe and my DD214, I'll check into that. All the money I have been spending at Lowe's and Home Depot on the new house this will really add up

:thumbsup2:

When I was remodeling about a year and 1/2 ago. I did not know about the discount until I was about done. When I found out I went back and asked them how far could I go back with my receipts and was told 1 month.

You might try that Squid, but you better hurry before they change the H.D. policy in your area.

It just so happens that I work at a Home Depot. The policy is that we will give a military discount to all active duty military, retired military, and their dependents every day. Disabled Veterens with a "Service Related" disability ID card (the VA card will have "Service Related" on the card) will also be given the 10% discount on any purchase year round. Veterens (less than full retirement) only get the 10% discount on specific holiday events such as Memorial Day, Veterens Day, and 4th of July. Usually these events are for an entire weekend. I hope this makes the Home Depots poilicy a little clearer.

Not to argue with anyone, but I live in Sarasota/Bradenton area and we have 2 Home Depots and 2 Lowes, After one of my retired military buddies asked me to get something for him at Lowes and I came back and gave it to him he asked why didn't I use my military discount. I told him that I had already asked all four store managers and was informed it was up to the individual stores for the discount policy. The stores in Tampa offered the discount ( military bases there) but the local ones here do not, shame because we have a LOT of retired military here in old folks paradise. :no-no-no:

VA is crazy with some of their stuff. Turned me down for hearing aids. Claimed You can't prove that is combat related!!

you need to see your local VSO (veteran service officer) and they should be able to refer you to an independent audiologist who is familiar with the VA requirements. my VSO said that the VA hospital (or clinic) in most instances will tell you just what yours said to you. I researched the Db level of the ordnances i fired while in military and presented them to audiologist before my hearing exam. At the end of my exam she wrote a letter to the VA stating that in her professional opinion and based upon my hearing losses, she believes they were due to my military service, she further recommended that i use hearing aids. That was several months ago and i recently received a letter from VA stating they had my disability under review. Hearing loss disability is rated at 10% with a max. monthly check of around $126.00. Good luck and check with your VSO about this. BTW my brother also filed for hearing loss and started receiving his disability check several months ago - along with a pro rated check from the time he filed.