IGNORED

kel Tec P11 ??

Hummingbird

I currently have several, a Glock 19, a Bersa Thunder, an EAA 357 snub and a S&W a 357 K frame. So I have a pretty well rounded collection. I did have a P11 but it wasn't my cup of tea.

The P11 trigger pull is long and about 8 to 9 pounds. Don't expect the light pull of a Glock or a single-action semi-auto. They do have malfunctions where they don't extract the casing properly & on occasion the slide will lock up open like if the magazine is empty but it's not. This never happens when the gun is clean and when shooting hollowpoints or personal defense ammo. Also, use only brass, not steel casings like the TulAmmo. It will beat the crap out of your extractor.

Bottom line the P11 will do the job, and the 9mm ammo is relatively inexpensive, but it would not be my 1st choice.

I had a PF9 which is the single stack version of that gun. I liked it for pocket carry. I had no problems out of it.

As for the steel vs brass on the casings, Ive heard that rumor before about steel being harder on extractors, but anyone that I have even talked to has never personally seen that. In fact, there's plenty of documentation online from competition shooters who go through thousands of rounds of steel cased ammo and their rigs just keep shooting.

What ever you do, don't carry any weapon in NYC. You will go to jail even if you have a permit from your own state.

http://handgunlaw.us/states/newyork.pdf

New York does not honor any other states Permit/License.

IMPORTANT NOTE: Your New York State pistol license is only valid in the counties outside the 5

counties of New York City. Unless it is validated by New York City. You may not take your handguns into

the city, this includes Self Protection licensees, with a few exceptions

Sounds like a good reason to stay out of New York.

I'm heading in that direction - I was going to look at a Glock 9mm but this Kel Tec sorta fell into my lap. When it's free, how can you argue might get a Glock anyway :think:

Free is definitely good. Like I said the Keltec will do the job it conceals nicely and as a gun to start out with its great. It will always be a good target gun because 9mm rounds are the cheapest.

When it's time to move up I would move to a 40 cal.

You can check out Buds. They have pretty good deals

At worst case the Keltec will never go to waste. When you outgrow it, it make a great nightstand gun...or even a gun to keep in your truck.

Next step is to get a good holster.:080402gudl_prv:

What I know of them is that they are not finished well. You could find a good gunsmith to polish and clean up and finish it and it would benefit you. You need to clean them well, do not over oil ( draws and holds dirt). They are not as durable as a glock, beretta or colt but is ok for self defense.

Make sure it works reliably and shoots ok and you're comfortable shooting with it. If not, its probably worse than no gun at all. While one could make a case for just scaring someone else with the gun in your hand, a gun that doesn't work right is just as likely to elicit a deadly counter response.

I am an NRA certified pistol instructor and have many different guns including the P11. It is cheap with heavy trigger pull but goes bang every time. Very light and snappy gun well suited to a truck or car gun. Not pleasant for plinking or target shooting. Go to their web site and read about the fluf and buff for the gun. Once you go to a high quality firearm you will not want to carry this gun. That was one of the first guns I carried for about a year. I have since moved through many different makes and settled on a compact 1911. I suggest you go to a range where you can rent different models when you want to move up so you can get a feel for what you like.

I agree with escheue, I would only add that if you look at the present and past military firearms ie 1911 , 92f . . .you can't go wrong. Those weapons systems have been tested before being accepted and put into service. They also have a proven track record and are plenty full, lots of spare parts and a lot of upgrades if you decide to do that in the future. If you are new to handguns please consider having the entire family attend a firearms safety course. On the 92f platform you can also get a .22 kit so you can plink to your hearts content with out bustin the piggie bank.

Just remember, the true definition of Gun Control is being well trained, safe and able to hit what you are shooting at . . .

Most excellent. Can't beat a free gun!

Yes, you can - A friend brought his Glock 26 to a dinner meeting last evening. Guess what I'm going to buy ?? not his but I'll find one -

The KelTec and Glock don't belong in the same category with regard to quality, so it's really not fair to compare them.

I have a Glock 36. It is a .45 caliber. Great gun and they will take a LOT of abuse and just keep on shooting. My only issue is that they really are NOT attractive guns. I've owned a lot of guns in my life and while the most important thing is that they work when you need them too, I also love the fit, finish, craftsmanship of a nice firearm. I don't get THAT satisfaction out of the Glock. It is a purpose built firearm that works like it should but I get little pleasure out of looking at it. :)

I've thought about selling it and replacing it with a Kimber.

By the way, if you just want to look at and compare a lot of different guns, drive over to Fin, Feather and Fur just off I71 in Ashland. They have a pretty decent selection and their prices are actually pretty fair. I didn't buy m Glock there because they were on order at the time but they were actually cheaper on it than where I finally found it in stock. A week after I bought mine, they called to let me know that they had gotten them in.

The P11 isn't a bad pistol...but it IS an inexpensive pistol. A good "fluff and buff" will do wonders for its reliability and keep it clean. It is a little rough on the shooting hand especially if you shoot +P ammo in it. I've had 2 of them and a friend wanted to buy one and he's been happy with it. That said, I am now carrying the Keltec P3AT in .380. It it my "go everwhere" pistol.....small, light , and easy to conceal and carry. Lots of people carry the P11 and like it. It's not a Glock or Kimber but it doesn't bust the budget either.

In the service I carried a 1911 and a model 10, both were awesome.

On the pd I carried a dan wesson, model 13, then a then a 92fs and finally a glock 21. I have shot all before and after a trip to a good gunsmith for cleanup and I can tell you that a very good weapon can become a great weapon with a little cleanup and adjustment.

I would always suggest to learn good shooting habits and then practice, practice, practice. Muscle memory and experience will determine the outcome if and when you need it. If you are seeking personal protection do not seek a paper puncher to train with but a self defense shooting instructor. I didn't always have the smallest pattern but I could put six holes in the 10 ring faster than our paper punchers could get two shots off and in nature timing is everything. . .

definately about muscle memory! especially in the dark, THATS when its lying on your bedside table and youre half asleep. MEMORY! thought i would add that i do "dry" runs from the bedside, and leave a VERY specific set of lights on at night, giving ME the advantage!

Edited by reddevilmedic