IGNORED

Getting many compliments on my cut tinted shield. -

I wanted a different look for around town as well as some natural air conditioning so i decided to cut and tint a spare windshield that i had. Now people are asking me what kind of bike i am riding and they cant believe how old it is. It sure gives the bike a different look.

I wanted a different look for around town as well as some natural air conditioning so i decided to cut and tint a spare windshield that i had. Now people are asking me what kind of bike i am riding and they cant believe how old it is. It sure gives the bike a different look.

What did you use to tint it with?

I bought a new one for scooter this winter & this would make a nice change to the old one.

Gary

I used Night Shades tail light tint by VHT.

Here is a decription of the process.

To prep the windshield i washed it and wet sanded it with 800 grit sandpaper, then finished with 1500 grit. I then decided to buff it out with rubbing compound to make it scratch free and clear.

I wanted something that would just cover the gauges so i mounted the spare shield and used a dry erase marker (marked on front and back)just to get an idea. I then removed the shield and brought it inside to make my final outline. I used the blue painters tape to tape of the area to be cut. I used my variable speed jig saw on slow speed to make the cut then followed with a file. I filed along the shield (not across) to make a nice even line. I followed by sanding the cut edge with 400 and 800 grit paper, which made it nice and smooth.

I cleaned the the shield with some acetone to prepare for paint. I used VHT Night Shades black taillight paint. After 3 coats of VHT and 3 coates of clear coat my job was finished.

There is a place just just off Main street, Hamilton Ontario that will make windshields for just about anything, clear or tinted. Before my accident in 2007 I had a tinted windshield on mine that they made. after the accident I put the original back on. They used my friends old 1st gen windshield for a pattern (Which they still have). The cost at that time was $140. If you want they can alter the size or shape. They also make them for boats etc.

http://www.paplastics.com/

P/S Looks Great :thumbsup:

Edited by saddlebum

Very nice. I needed more air in my face during the hot months. I cut 4" off of my old screen and hated the buffeting around my head. Last year I rode the VR around without any plastic and the air flow over the instrument cluster was about the same as my Ninja . . . Very smooth and right in my face. How is the air flow for yours?

I cut my old screen down last night. It is shorter than yours. About the same height as the mirrors and an inch taller than the instrument cluster. I am giving it a test ride today. If it has smooth air flow, I really like your tint idea.

It does have some buffeting at higher speeds 65+, but i can live with that, since i wont be using it for long trips. I rode around some country rodes yesterday for about 3 hours and it was a perfect amount of airflow for a hot day.

I just got back from a 200 mile ride and my cut-down windscreen works great for me. It puts the air flow about eye level and this air moves through my helmet vents at speed. Now I will sand, buff, and tint the thing. Look for pictures soon . . .

:301:

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
Well I am going through fleabay to get 10". I like the fact of having 2 windscreens. Tall for trips (like the one that I am going to do ....1600miles) and shorty for around town and small commutes (St. Pete to Tampa)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/190800273717?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

I was going to order one off eBay but ran into a sale from Bike Bandit for $50 bucks each. It worked out pretty good as I bought two dark tint 10" windshilds, and since the order was over $100 bucks shipping was free. One for the '99 and one for the '07. I won't be swapping them out with a taller due to the ride, as I had a 12" wide Show Chrome on the last long trip and didn't notice any buffeting. I'm always looking over the top anyway.

I was going to order one off eBay but ran into a sale from Bike Bandit for $50 bucks each. It worked out pretty good as I bought two dark tint 10" windshilds, and since the order was over $100 bucks shipping was free. One for the '99 and one for the '07. I won't be swapping them out with a taller due to the ride, as I had a 12" wide Show Chrome on the last long trip and didn't notice any buffeting. I'm always looking over the top anyway.

I am vertically challenged so I look through the windscreen ...... and with this heat down here, I need a shorty !