IGNORED

Which vendor for a stator??

Mike,

Here is another option

http://www.ricksmotorsportelectrics.com/aboutus.php

I am going to say something here and hopefully it wont be misconstrewed. I have installed 2 of the Buckeye stators on 1st and 2nd gens. They do give a bit more boost in current and I had no issue with that. What I didn't like was that they leaked where the wires came through the sealing block that brings the wires outside of the stator case housing.

I had to redo both the bikes they were on as they started seeping where the 3 wires came through, that was no fun. If you do decide to go with the Buckeye stator make sure you seal the wires going through the rubber block well with RTV on the inside and the outside of the block. Also seal the block into the case well as these are a PITA to get clean while still attached. My next Stator upgrade will be from the website above I posted as I would like to see how they work out...:2cents:

just called rick. 239.00. anybody else??

1. Did you tell him that you are a member of VentureRiders.org for a discount?

2. That price includes the gasket set need for the job. When you compare others make sure to include the price for the 3 needed gaskets.

The one from Ricks appears to be the same output as the stock stator. Part of what you are paying for from Buckeye is the claimed 25% more power available for your electrical toys and accessories.

Is one of these any better quality than the other? I have no clue.

[senseless babbling]

I would really like to examine a Buckeye "Higher Output" and Ricks "OEM type" stator side by side to see just what the differences are.

I have done motor rewinding, it cant be that much harder to rewind a stator.

Some day when my stator dies I may try to rewind it before I spend the bucks on a replacement.

[\senseless babbling]

wow. ricks motorsports is almost 100.00 cheaper. has anyone had any luck with the ebay stators?

Yes, I bought a "rebuilt" stator on ebay in 2007, installed in an 83 I sold my brother-in-law. He's put over 22 k on the bike since and the stator is still as good as it was when I put it in.

I have done motor rewinding, it cant be that much harder to rewind a stator.

Some day when my stator dies I may try to rewind it before I spend the bucks on a replacement.

Jeff,

Let me know if you want a stator, I have the original one I replaced from my '89 when I installed the Buckeye on it. There was nothing wrong with it, but the bike had 100K on it and I figured since I was replacing the starter clutch I would do the stator at the same time.

Jeff,

Let me know if you want a stator, I have the original one I replaced from my '89 when I installed the Buckeye on it. There was nothing wrong with it, but the bike had 100K on it and I figured since I was replacing the starter clutch I would do the stator at the same time.

I appreciate the offer, but I could not bring myself to disassemble a perfectly good stator just for my curiosity.

Now if someone had a bad stator laying around................

I appreciate the offer, but I could not bring myself to disassemble a perfectly good stator just for my curiosity.

Now if someone had a bad stator laying around................

I'm pretty sure I still have the one I took out of the 89 I had 5 or 6 years ago. If I do I'll let you know and we can get together sometime and I'll give it to you. I think it was an original equipment stator from Yamaha. Anyway I know it's burnt on one leg.

BOO

wow. ricks motorsports is almost 100.00 cheaper. has anyone had any luck with the ebay stators?

Remember with Buckeye, the posted price is the "discounted price" + a $50. core charge is added on.

I have installed 2 of the Rick's Motorsport Electric stators in Cody in 2009, for a couple of bikes at the Venture Roundup. They were overnighted in from DennisKirk & I also had 2 sets of gaskets overnighted in to the Cody Yammi dealer, the cost worked out to be $200 per bike including the overnight shipping + oil of course. Last year I had one shipped to Grump, for his 750 Nighthawk, also from DennisKirk.

The Electrosport stators are junk & someone in Quebec was shipping those ones, to unsuspecting buyers.

:2cents::canada:

i did tell him i was a member. and yes, he stated that includes the gaskets. his website states 239.00 regularly???......

If his website says 239.00 and that is what he quoted you then it sounds like he is no longer offering us the discount. I guess I need to contact him and find out. If he's not, I need to remove him from the "vendors who offer us a discount" area.

I just sent Rick at Buckeye an email asking about our discount. I'll let you know what I find out. I tell you though, at 100.00 cheaper, I would probably go with Rick's Motorsports, AFTER figuring the price of the gaskets and etc. to see if it is still indeed significantly cheaper.

I did get an email response back from Rick at Buckeye Performance. He told me that the parts listed on the web site are already discounted. I did not know that. He did tell me though that he offers free shipping on those parts for our members. So, said that the other stator was $100.00 cheaper. If Ricks does indeed include the gaskets and also free shipping, they may be closer to price. I'm just not sure because I haven't bought one from either place.

Well, I just went through most of the checkout process at Ricks Motorsports. It looks like the stator is 140.00 and the gaskets are 8.00. Free UPS ground shipping so it appears to still be your best option.

Don't forget that you also need the gasket for the middle gear cover and the copper crush washer for the bottom bolt of the middle gear cover. At least on a 1st gen the middle gear cover has to come off before you can get the engine side cover off.

I'm pretty sure I still have the one I took out of the 89 I had 5 or 6 years ago. If I do I'll let you know and we can get together sometime and I'll give it to you. I think it was an original equipment stator from Yamaha. Anyway I know it's burnt on one leg.

BOO

That sounds like a plan.

Burnt on one leg is perfect for my needs.

thanks, thats probably the way im going to go. might as well pick up a retifier too.

It looks like the stator cover gasket is the only one that comes if you add the gasket to the order. I don't know what the price is on the middle gear cover gasket. I know that the crush washers are cheap. Somebody said that Rick supplies all three with his stator which would account for a few more bucks of the difference.

Also, Rick's stator is supposed to be a higher output. If you are running or plan to run more electrical accessories that should also be considered.

I'm not trying to convince you to spend more money if you don't need to but just want to make sure that we are all comparing apples to apples. Of course if you go with the higher output stator, you will likely also need a different regulator. I assume that Buckeye offers a rectifier that can be purchased with the high output stator. I don't know how it compares in price to the 120.00 regulator offered by Ricks Motorsports.

Hopefully you are confused enough by now. :) The bottom line is, if the output of the stock stator satisfies your requirements, then the cheaper one from Rick's would be your best deal. If you need more capacity now or in the future, maybe you should give more consideration to the one from Buckeye.

By the way, Rick's Motorsports DOES offer a high output stator for the RSV. Looks like a decent price too.

http://www.ricksmotorsportelectrics.com/proddetail.php?prod=21-412H&pmc=OTlZYW1YVloxMzAwVEZSb3lhbFN0YXJWZW50dXJl

You can also buy the same stator from Dennis Kirk for $151.99

http://www.denniskirk.com/jsp/product_catalog/Product.jsp?skuId=208599&store=&catId=&productId=p210807&leafCatId=&mmyId=8869

Edited by Freebird