IGNORED

Holes in air cleaner box

Are there supposed to be any little holes that look like drill holes in the sides of the air cleaner box? I think I have about 4 or 5 of them. I didn't do it. They are in the filter area.

If not, what is a good way to plug them? Duct tape? lol

These are attempts by someone to increase the air flow into the motor, it does not work! You could do some duct tape on the outside or glue some plastic over it, but they need to be closed up. These motors like the air just the way they were built!

It depends.

is the bike running good with those holes in the air box?

Maybe the PO adjusted the carbs to work with the holes and covering them will mess it up.

You can always cover them with tape one at a time and see which way runs best, then make the change permanent.

Many here have tried it, most have covered the holes back up.

They have been doing it for a long time I guess. I got the bike in '94.

I have never been satisfied wit how it runs but then I only know this bike so I really have no idea what is right, lol.

Ran it like I stole it for about an hour, just got back. Did the ton a few times and kept the RPM's at 6k and above a lot. She started to run like real shiite for about 20 minutes and then smoothed out. The last 10 minutes of the ride she was quite spunky. Planning to run her for a bit more tomorrow. Weather looks great on Sunday.

I will tape them up for now and see what happens. She always screams lean according to many on here.

Thanks for the replies!

Let me check, if I still have it, you would be welcome to the spare I might still have. it has no holes.

Ive heard from anyone that has tried drilling holes that it makes them run lean and just slows the Brownies down. (kinda like how they run when the lid is off the airbox)

Brian

there is a simple fix using my favorite DEVCON PLASTIC welder, from True Value hardware. 1st get some 1/8" plexyglass. Remove air box and filter. Sand the area around the holes. Cut the plexi to cover the holes. Sand the plexi too. Use the plastic welder per the instructions. You will not need much. I also use a popcicle stick to mix. Note: it sets in less than 5 min. sometimes, depends on air temp.. And fully hardened in less than 1 hours. As the carbs on these wear they run richer. And some did the "hole" thing to lean them out.

PM me your addy Giga...
You don't really need to ask for his address. Click on one of the pix of the bike in the garage then click on the "i" button, scroll down to the bottom for the LAT/LONG and enter that into google and you know where he lives.

Interesting little feature of phone cameras don't you think? :256: :thumbdown:

Rick,

If they are 1/2" holes, there should be no more than 4....in the top cover. If they are larger than 1/2", you are getting too much air, so just tape them up with some black Gorilla duct tape. And if you need a untouched top cover, I have one left over just laying up in the attic that you can have.

Let me know,

Rick

Are there supposed to be any little holes that look like drill holes in the sides of the air cleaner box? I think I have about 4 or 5 of them. I didn't do it. They are in the filter area.

If not, what is a good way to plug them? Duct tape? lol