Black Owl

An "interesting" way to say thank you to the troops.

Our very own Alice in Wonderland, Congresswoman Michele Bachmann, the darling of the Tea Party and a possible contender for Office of the President in 2012, plans on introducing a bill to reduce Department of Vetern Affairs budget by 4.5 billion dollars.

To do this she wants to:

Cap increases in DVA health care spending.

Reduce veterans disability compensation

Off-set disability payments by the amount of compensation received in SS Disability Insurance payments.

Guess she is tired to just paying lip service to the Veterans.

Since I don't know anything about Veterans Benefits I'll jump in.

HERE is the whole list titled "Potential Spending Cuts and Estimated Money Saved".

Are you sure the VA couldn't be more efficient with their spending? The document doesn't have a time frame, but if they're using the common ten year projection we're talking $450 million/year. The 2010 VA budget was $114 billion. $450 million of that is 0.39 %. (I have my decimal place in the correct location, it's about 1/3 of 1 percent). I'd be willing to bet you folks that deal with the VA could identify that much savings by reducing duplicate or useless paperwork.

It also talks about reducing disability benefits by any amount Social Security pays. I suppose collecting both could be considered double dipping. I don't know if this is only people injured serving, or if there are VA disability benefits for people that are injured in their post service life. I'm all for making sure that anyone disabled while serving is very well cared for.

When it's all said and done though, a large majority of us seem to be in favor of reducing the expenditures of the Federal Government. For that to happen we're all going to give up programs we personally like or benefit from.

Since I don't know anything about Veterans Benefits I'll jump in.

HERE is the whole list titled "Potential Spending Cuts and Estimated Money Saved".

Are you sure the VA couldn't be more efficient with their spending? The document doesn't have a time frame, but if they're using the common ten year projection we're talking $450 million/year. The 2010 VA budget was $114 billion. $450 million of that is 0.39 %. (I have my decimal place in the correct location, it's about 1/3 of 1 percent). I'd be willing to bet you folks that deal with the VA could identify that much savings by reducing duplicate or useless paperwork.

It also talks about reducing disability benefits by any amount Social Security pays. I suppose collecting both could be considered double dipping. I don't know if this is only people injured serving, or if there are VA disability benefits for people that are injured in their post service life. I'm all for making sure that anyone disabled while serving is very well cared for.

When it's all said and done though, a large majority of us seem to be in favor of reducing the expenditures of the Federal Government. For that to happen we're all going to give up programs we personally like or benefit from.

MiCarl,

Typically I chose not to get involved in discussions of politics, religion or money but here I am making an exception.

1. A Disabled Veteran is a person, who in the service to their country, that has suffered a disability from that service and not from injuries or such after their service time. So every cent we can get to these individuals has been earned a thousand fold.

2. Most Active Duty personnel in this country are considered as living below the proverty line; so there is a huge misconception that folks in the military are living "fat on the hog" and therefore we need to cut more money from their budgets.

3. Freedom isn't free; ask a Vet better ask a Diabled Vet struggling to make a living when more benefits are reduced.

Wanna reduce federal spending then we need to quit trying to be the policemen/women of the world. Remember it is the politicians that decide we go to war not the military.

OK rant over; back to your regularly scheduled web surfing.

MiCarl,

Typically I chose not to get involved in discussions of politics, religion or money but here I am making an exception.

1. A Disabled Veteran is a person, who in the service to their country, that has suffered a disability from that service and not from injuries or such after their service time. So every cent we can get to these individuals has been earned a thousand fold.

2. Most Active Duty personnel in this country are considered as living below the proverty line; so there is a huge misconception that folks in the military are living "fat on the hog" and therefore we need to cut more money from their budgets.

3. Freedom isn't free; ask a Vet better ask a Diabled Vet struggling to make a living when more benefits are reduced.

Wanna reduce federal spending then we need to quit trying to be the policemen/women of the world. Remember it is the politicians that decide we go to war not the military.

OK rant over; back to your regularly scheduled web surfing.

:sign yeah that::sign yeah that::sign yeah that::goodpost:

Ok I am not an American but here is my take on it. If spending cuts meant cutting back on VIP wages I would have to say go for it, But it seldom does. Normally in any government cutback be it the US, Canada or any other country it usually means cutting back back on payments to those who need it most yet wages for the officals involved seldom go down and often still go up despite the cut backs. In other words the cutback in itself is not so much a problem and may even be a good thing overall. Its who are they cutting from back that is important.

Let's make sure those disabled Veterans get what they deserve! They've earned every penny! ANY politician, no matter which side of the aisle they're on, that would even think about taking away even the smallest portion of those well-deserved benefits should be absolutely ashamed of themselves! Let them find somewhere else to cut the budget! BTW, collecting from the VA and SS is NOT double dipping. To give an example, if someone at my work were to be injured at work to the point where they can no longer work, they would be placed on permanent disability. This is an insurance coverage that is partially paid for out of our checks, and partially by our employer. Now, that same worker, who has been paying into SS his entire adult working life, would also qualify for SSI benefits. They are two different insurance policies that cover us if we get hurt at work. Those servicemen should also be entitled to those same two coverages, and NO ONE should try to circumvent that, I don't care what the reason. Just my two cents! Don

An "interesting" way to say thank you to the troops.

Our very own Alice in Wonderland, Congresswoman Michele Bachmann, the darling of the Tea Party and a possible contender for Office of the President in 2012, plans on introducing a bill to reduce Department of Vetern Affairs budget by 4.5 billion dollars.

To do this she wants to:

Cap increases in DVA health care spending.

Reduce veterans disability compensation

Off-set disability payments by the amount of compensation received in SS Disability Insurance payments.

Guess she is tired to just paying lip service to the Veterans.

OK my response is not political but----down with the ***** or whatever she is. We've fought for a lot of years to get what little we get! :confused24:

Took longer than I thought for some one to raise the political flag....

With that said make sure your representatives always knows how you think.

There is nothing political here, only a fact was quoted and people responded. I believe that is what America is all about. In my own humble opinion, a vet has a right to voice an opinion on a subject that is directly related, since he/or her has earned it. I will now bow out of this conversation. Another sad day.

That would have been me, Joe, but I think the comment was taken waaaay too seriously! I guess my term of disapproval was a little politically incorrect. In all seriousness of course I was not even remotely actually insisting that someone actually shoot her! It was just a saying.

I somehow think the offended member has newver served in the military, or does not comprehend what it means to be permanently disabled due to their service to even think of cutting disability benefits. There are many forms of disibility, mental being a big one as well as physical disibility. To cut funding for helping returning veterans would be a serious injustice to those who graciously served! Without their service, we could very well not even have the privelage of disagreeing with political views.

That being said, with her stand on the subject, I still put her on the same level as Hanoi Jane...

That would have been me, Joe, but I think the comment was taken waaaay too seriously! I guess my term of disapproval was a little politically incorrect. In all seriousness of course I was not even remotely actually insisting that someone actually shoot her! It was just a saying..

I am far from politically correct myself and the comment did not trigger anything in my brain is why I missed it I guess. I get told all the time that I should not say things that offend people but I think we as a whole are too easily offended sometimes. After 23 years in the military it's hard for me to change my ways.

I didn't become a member here to read this kind of crap. put a lid on it!!!!

You sir are entitled to voice your opinion because myself and others here have put our lives on the line to ensure that privilege; you are welcome.

Definition of a Vet: Someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America," for an amount of "up to and including my life."

Folks, he showed no disrespect for all that your veterans had done for us. He took exception to one comment that was made and he came back and explained that in a later post.

This is one of those threads that is tough to decide what to do with. I think that the vast majority, hopefully all, of our members sincerely respect and appreciate what our men and women in uniform have done for us and all the sacrifices that were and still are being made. On the other hand, it does border on the "political".

I've left it up out of respect for all of you who served but if it turns into a political debate, it will be deleted as are most political threads.

One of my favorite nephews is in Afghanistan right now and I fully support a disabled vet getting what he should. That being said I play basketball every week through the winter with a 60 year old Vietnam vet that has been drawing a disability check for his knee ever since he got out. I also used to lift weights with a Vietnam era vet that drew full disability and the only thing that I could ever figure out was wrong with him was he was an *******.

One of my favorite nephews is in Afghanistan right now and I fully support a disabled vet getting what he should. That being said I play basketball every week through the winter with a 60 year old Vietnam vet that has been drawing a disability check for his knee ever since he got out. I also used to lift weights with a Vietnam era vet that drew full disability and the only thing that I could ever figure out was wrong with him was he was an *******.

Per-chance Post Traumatic Stress Disorder was his real disability...and not seen with the naked eye??????????????????