IGNORED

Rear Shock Replacement

no it does not, it's a really easy swap

You will need a jack to take the weight of bolts as you remove them. At the bottom of the shock it bolts to a piece of Aluminum that has four needle bearing in it. Good time to remove, clean, and put fresh grease in the BRG's

Brad

You will need a jack to take the weight of bolts as you remove them. At the bottom of the shock it bolts to a piece of Aluminum that has four needle bearing in it. Good time to remove, clean, and put fresh grease in the BRG's

Brad

Thanks for the info. I'll keep that in mind.

No Donnie,

It doesn't have to come off, but it really makes it easier if you come in from the rear fender where all the bolts are there right in front of you. I've done it both ways and this way is the cleanest.

Hope this helps,

Rick

No Donnie,

It doesn't have to come off, but it really makes it easier if you come in from the rear fender where all the bolts are there right in front of you. I've done it both ways and this way is the cleanest.

Hope this helps,

Rick

Thanks for the info. I'll probably be doing it with tire on. Have no way of removing the tire myself.

For what it is worth, I just did mine without removing the rear wheel and I would have been done in 45 minutes (including setup and clean up) if my replacement fit like it was supposed to.

First, you need to remove the nut that holds the valve stem in place for putting air in the shock. I believe it was a 14mm nut - but I do not recall exactly. the plastic cap surrounding the air filler valve just pops off and the nut is exposed - so it is an easy do.

The rear shock is held into place with 2 bolts, one up top and one at the bottom. Removing the right side passenger floorboard and the plastic cover will allow you to see the top bolt & nut. I used a 17mm regular depth socket, universal and a decent length extension to get to the nut. The head of the bolt is held in place with to flange deals that are on the other side, so you do not have to worry about holding the other side with a wrench.

The bottom one is visible and very accessible from the bottom of the bike. You WILL need to hold the bottom bolt while you loosen the nut since there is nothing that holds the bolt head in place. But again, it is very easily accessible so there should be no problem getting to it.

I jacked my bike up so the rear tire was just barely touching the ground and it was just about perfect for being lined up to get everything out and in as necessary.

I've attached a few pictures to [hopefully] help you. If you want more detail, let me know - I don't know if there is a write-up some where or not, but I'd be happy to give you the quick and dirty explanation if necessary.

Thanks for the writeup and pics. That's awesome.

So are you saying the ride is better than expected?

You're welcome. And yes, the handling and ride characteristics after putting the new shock on exceeded my expectations. However, my expectations were quite low since 2.5 months ago when my shock puked, I didn't think that I noticed much of a difference in ride quality and handling, but since I ride every day, I may have just been getting used to it.

I don't know if that helps or not and your findings may vary :confused24:.

• 4 months later...
For what it is worth, I just did mine without removing the rear wheel and I would have been done in 45 minutes (including setup and clean up) if my replacement fit like it was supposed to.

Hi, Rick.

Can't remember if you mentioned it in my other thread......but, did you buy the Works Performance replacement shock? Did you know about or consider the Hagon?

Just wondering who might have used this brand besides the one guy in my other conversation. At $394, they certainly have a good price. (Of course that's meaningless if they crap out like the stock one. Mind you, they DO have a 2 year unlimited mileage warranty!)

Cheers,

Mike

Hi, Rick.

Can't remember if you mentioned it in my other thread......but, did you buy the Works Performance replacement shock? Did you know about or consider the Hagon?

Just wondering who might have used this brand besides the one guy in my other conversation. At $394, they certainly have a good price. (Of course that's meaningless if they crap out like the stock one. Mind you, they DO have a 2 year unlimited mileage warranty!)

Cheers,

Mike

Mike:

I did not mention it in the other thread. I did contact both distributors in the U.S. though, to see what they would say (the one you contacted in CT and the other one in San Marcos, CA). I only heard back from one and their response was that the RSV was too heavy for any of their current setups so he would have to look into it and get back with me. He never did. However, I did not follow up with them either. So, apparently they've got it figured out now. :confused24:

- Rick.

• 3 years later...

Hey guys I know its older thread and such. But when you get the new shock from Hagon or whom ever it it "preset" to install height? I have not tore into it yet, but is there even a spring on the RSV shock? Or is is air and oil only? The one I am changing is well looks like the Exon Valdez. So if its collapsed, I wouldn't want to take an install height off it you know?

Hey guys I know its older thread and such. But when you get the new shock from Hagon or whom ever it it "preset" to install height? I have not tore into it yet, but is there even a spring on the RSV shock? Or is is air and oil only? The one I am changing is well looks like the Exon Valdez. So if its collapsed, I wouldn't want to take an install height off it you know?

The Hagon is the only one I can answer about, cause THAT's the one I bought:

No height adjustment available OR required.

What you order is what you install.

If it doesn't seem the "right" height.....I think you're looking at a "lowering" kit. (Not many people want to RAISE this bike!)

If you're researching several different potential suppliers of your new shock (and it sounds as if you are.....), PHONE them, have a little chat, and include this (very good) question in your conversation. They're all happy to chat.

Good luck,

Mike