IGNORED

Cracked windshield mounting holes

Midrsv

I recently pulled the chrome trim off the fairing and found that the plastic around 4 of the 6 windshield mounting holes was cracked completely through. I emailed my dealer photos and he said to bring it in and they'll replace the fairing and anything else related to the problem. Off to the dealer tomorrow.

Anyone else had this problem?

Dennis

Dennis,

You are one lucky guy...in that you found this (caught it) before you were doing 70 MPH down the highway and it blew off into your face..........

I am really glad you found this now...

This is something all RSV members should look at for personal safety reasons.

I would really hate to hear one blew off and hurt them and their passenger...

If I recall, someone lost theirs on the way to Don's Maintenance day or maybe it was someone on the way to Vogel. I forgot which rally it was but someone did have a windshield come off.

Just glad you found it Dennis...:thumbsup2:

Every 2nd gen venture has this same problem. The replacement you get from the dealer will do the same thing. VGoose has a fix for this problem.

ediddy,

I have to disagree with you if I may.. because I think you are speaking of or relating to, the TWO outer edge inner fairing support holes that always break on 2nd gens, but Dennis is saying that he found the plastic around 4 of the 6 windshield mounting holes was cracked completely through. This is in the windshield itself...see his pics.

The two outer edge, inner fairing supports always break on 2nd gens and I am sure that his is definitely broke in these two places, and v7goose does have a repair on them in the tech section.

I never had a broken windshield hole on my 2nd gen RSV in the 5 years I had it.

This is the the same thing that I have been working on as ONE of my winter projects,

I took that entire part of the fairing and glassed it with fiberglass , expoys and JB weld

(BOTH SIDES) and then re-drilled the holes. VERY VERY STRONG now. This will not happen again on this bike. has been that way for about a year now and got worse over time.

I also did the ends (kinda like goose did but a little different) another Strong point repaired as well.

I am thinking with the taller wind-screen (that this can happen a lot on our bikes)

mine is a clearview extra tall, lots of pressure hitting and not much to hold it there.

I think even if I had replaced my fairing, this would have happened again in time (My Opinion ONLY)

EVERYBODY please check the area shown above when you have time please.

The chrome strip covers all my repair work.

I will tell you nothing will ever crack or break in that area again !!! I kind of went crazy with the fiberglass *lol*

Should have taken pics and done a write-up. *oops*

Jeff

I haven't had my '06 very long (just over a year and 18000 kilometers) ... I've had my outer fairing off numerous times and no evidence of cracking anywhere. What I have noticed I think it was the 2nd time re-installing it ... is that you can get it mis-aligned and this improper installation may well be the cause of these mounting locations cracking....???

I haven't had my '06 very long (just over a year and 18000 kilometers) ... I've had my outer fairing off numerous times and no evidence of cracking anywhere. What I have noticed I think it was the 2nd time re-installing it ... is that you can get it mis-aligned and this improper installation may well be the cause of these mounting locations cracking....???

I think that over-tightening the screws/bolts that hold the windshield in place has a lot to do with it too. (As well as the big windscreen blowing in the wind)

I just had my whole inner faring replaced under warranty because the Dealer assembled it wrong. In your pics I can see a zip tie where a bolt should be. I can't see the other side but I would guess that both of the center bolts are missing. Mine was the same way when I got it. This will cause the wind screen to vibrate and break the plastic tabs from the inner faring. My bike was a dealer trade which caused a warranty issue since it was the original dealerships fault. One phone call to Yamaha Customer Service and they agreed to let my local dealership fix it under warranty. The service tech also told me that the wind screen brace was mounted to the wrong side of those plastic tabs on the inner faring. I'd have to go pull the chrome cover to tell you if it should be to the inside or ourside.

Hope it helps, KK

Here's an update. I dropped the bike off at the dealer last week and they were ordering whatever parts were needed to repair it. The dealer mentioned that the service rep stated that he hadn't heard of this issue before and he asked the dealer if I rode it hard on rough roads. I hope to get it back in a week or so with a new fairing.

Dennis

Here's an update. I dropped the bike off at the dealer last week and they were ordering whatever parts were needed to repair it. The dealer mentioned that the service rep stated that he hadn't heard of this issue before and he asked the dealer if I rode it hard on rough roads. I hope to get it back in a week or so with a new fairing.

Dennis

They all play dumb at first... :rotf:

My 2008 also had the fairing screw holes for the windshield mount cracked. It was replaced under warranty. Dealer balked... but a call to Yamaha took care of it.

I believe as others, that over tightening screws on ABS plastic can easily cause this. IMHO, this is a poor design. I plan on strengthening my mounts in the summer with possible metal strips, fiberglass, something...

Maybe drilling out the hole to a larger size - then placing a sleeve over the bolt to allow tightening the windshield without crushing the ABS fairing. Thoughts?

The end windshield bar mount fix will also be completed.

johnb

The previous Yamaha dealer's wrench screwed up and messed up thr inside center faiting, the dealership is now out of operation. I now am get'n my bike serviced at another yamaha dealership. Told them 2 weeks ago about the problem, they said that they will order a new front fairing, Last week, called me that they have the fairing, but that I would have to pay $180.00 for the labor cost! Was under the impression that I would not have to pay labor cost? The service manager said that he would have to charge me 2 hour labor fee to remove 8 allen bolts/screws???

Please advise!!

Thank you,

The previous Yamaha dealer's wrench screwed up and messed up thr inside center faiting, the dealership is now out of operation. I now am get'n my bike serviced at another yamaha dealership. Told them 2 weeks ago about the problem, they said that they will order a new front fairing, Last week, called me that they have the fairing, but that I would have to pay $180.00 for the labor cost! Was under the impression that I would not have to pay labor cost? The service manager said that he would have to charge me 2 hour labor fee to remove 8 allen bolts/screws???

Please advise!!

Thank you,

I'd be on the phone to Yamaha yesterday!

... In your pics I can see a zip tie where a bolt should be. I can't see the other side but I would guess that both of the center bolts are missing. Mine was the same way when I got it. This will cause the wind screen to vibrate and break the plastic tabs from the inner faring....

I had to install the two missing bolts KK mentioned. It made quite a difference in the support of the windshield.

• 3 weeks later...

I finally got my bike back today after having the fairing replaced due to the cracks around the windshield bolts. Apparently Yamaha was reluctant to replace it because they thought someone had removed the bolts from the metal bar. The same ones KK and Ponch mentioned. I explained to the dealer that that was the way I received the bike and he didn't seem to want to believe me. I sent him the quotes from KK and Ponch. Appears there is at least 3 of us with the bolts missing. I would be interested to hear from others with the bolts missing.

Dennis

I would be interested to hear from others with the bolts missing.

Dennis

Mine were missing too.

I guessed that there were supposed to be bolts in there due to the flimsyness of the windshield without them. For a while, I had it zip-tied (mostly because I did not have an easy way to guess the bolt size). With the world of difference that made, I ended up taking a few measurements, then heading off to the hardware store and buying a variety of things I though were close. I suspect that may have something to do with why the plastic stuff inside the fairing is broken on so many of our bikes.

... Apparently Yamaha was reluctant to replace it because they thought someone had removed the bolts from the metal bar. The same ones KK and Ponch mentioned. I explained to the dealer that that was the way I received the bike and he didn't seem to want to believe me. ...
I didn't have any bolts missing, that I know of. However, the bike comes from Japan in a box. The top half of it's in pieces packed around the rest of it. The dealer has someone, usually a contractor as far as I can tell, put the thing together. They don't always do a wonderful job. Loose bolts, missing bolts, antenna on the wrong sides, stuff like that.

Dreyer Yamaha in Indy used to always have a Venture sitting in the showroom with the antennas on reversed. I mentioned it to a sales person every time I saw one lile that. They always patted me on the head and explained how much they know about the machines they sell. One day they were having a big event and I wound up talking to the boss. He followed the wires, as I'd been suggesting, then thanked me for telling him. He also commented that their contractor must not be able to understand it from the installation sheet. Now the antenna are always on the right sides.

I finally got my bike back today after having the fairing replaced due to the cracks around the windshield bolts. Apparently Yamaha was reluctant to replace it because they thought someone had removed the bolts from the metal bar. The same ones KK and Ponch mentioned. I explained to the dealer that that was the way I received the bike and he didn't seem to want to believe me. I sent him the quotes from KK and Ponch. Appears there is at least 3 of us with the bolts missing. I would be interested to hear from others with the bolts missing.

Dennis

Mine were missing too and I had thought Yamaha put the straps on there for a reason instead of bolts but BuddyRich saw it and put in bolts and said the bolts are suppose to be there. I wish I wouldve caught it before my warranty ran out as my holes are cracked also. Tom

The below quote is from KK. What pics are you talking about? The only pics I saw is from Midrsv's post.

As others I would like to check mine.

tx.

"In your pics I can see a zip tie where a bolt should be. I can't see the other side but I would guess that both of the center bolts are missing".