IGNORED

Wrong about Butler set mod

naturbar

when you're wrong about something you ought to admit it ! well i was wrong about the seats Rick Butler modified and the tour pak back rest cushions. i originally thought i would like the results ...but i was wrong...... I LOVE IT !!

after being unable to ride for the past three month (during that time Rick did the mods) today my wife & i rode to Clarksville Va. for lunch - what a beautiful day and ride - the lunch was awesome (pepperoni & sausage lasagna). it was a 225 mi. round trip and my butt and especially my tailbone never bothered me. i could only get about 50 mi. before the mod and my butt & tailbone were aching and needing a break... you can spend the big bucks on all the fancy seats but the $40 for the seats is the best money i've spent on my bike. Thank you Rick Butler for the great job and the great service you provide to us here on VentureRider.

I've hesitated getting this mod done to my seat because I don't feel the tailbone is the problem. I did 330 miles today from Va into WVA. The last 50 miles or so really were hurting but the pain seems more in the butt cheeks. I'm 6'5 and 275 so my rear is pretty good size. It seems the seat just isn't wide enough for someone my size.

I've hesitated getting this mod done to my seat because I don't feel the tailbone is the problem. I did 330 miles today from Va into WVA. The last 50 miles or so really were hurting but the pain seems more in the butt cheeks. I'm 6'5 and 275 so my rear is pretty good size. It seems the seat just isn't wide enough for someone my size.

I have to say that for less than $100, you might owe it to yourself to try it. Worst case if you hate it is someone WILL trade you a seat for yours if you wanted to trade

:2cents:

bigfoot,

my butt cheeks also used to hurt a lot - but after this 225 miler they hurt 95% less than before the mod. for the price that rick charges and the excellent job he does i say give it a try, i believe it will help....that's my story and i'm stickin' to it . if only i could find a backrest that didn't cost so much............

Thanks Buz,

For the nice comments and I'm glad that my mod worked for you. However, as most aftermarket seat makers will tell you, there is not one change in a seat that will work for everyone. Just ask anyone who has bought a Corbin, only to discover this seat is not for them. And even though most folks are satisfied with my rework, there have been a few that I have had to make later changes to for various reasons. And most of them were pillow top passenger seats? The point is...that not one seat solution will work for everyone?

Bigfoot, the tail bone relief is not the only issue that I address in my seat mod. The first thing I address on any seat after I get the cover off is the basic shape of the foundation foam. And this is where I feel Mike Corbin has it right, where he creates a nice bucket for your botton to sit in. The problem with the rest of his seat is that it's like sitting on a cast iron Farmall tractor seat. Not really but they are pretty hard, which works for some but not others. So I reshape the bottom to create a shallow bucket and then to remove any pressure point on the tail bone, I cut in a V shaped pocket in the bottom where it meets the back of the seat.

Then on most of the RSV and TD seats the back of the seat is rather flat creating a pressure point at the base of the spine. I remove this pressure point by cutting a curvature into the seat back. In wrapping up the reshaping, I also narrow the neck of the seat to remove any pressure points in the inside of the thighs.

After I grind the foundation down smooth, I cover (glue) the seat bottom and back with a layer of 1 1/2" memory foam. Now memory foam does not provide any physical support, but it does reduce pressure points and conforms nicely to the shape that is sitting on the seat...ie your buttox. Then it's back on with the cover, where the memory foam also fills in the cover for the foundation foam that has been removed. So when you get the seat back, it looks pretty much like it did when you sent it to me.....until you sit on it.

Paul Thede the founder of Race Tech, Inc made a statement that I use mostly for how folks feel about riding motorcycles. "The best you have ever ridden is the best you will ever know". This means that you may be riding around thinking that this is the best you and your bike will ever get......until you make a change that makes a drastic improvement that opens your eyes up to the possibilities of continuous learning. This also applies to how you feel about your motorcycle seat?

Sorry for getting long winded,

Rick

Rick did BOTH front and rear for us.. we BOTH love this mod as well !

We go for our ride now not even thinking of how far we have gone!

Before, we both wanted to get off the bike after about 50 miles or so!

Thanks Rick!

HEY now is the time to get this mod done while your bike

is in the garage for the winter. :)

Jeff