IGNORED

PC Help

jonesy

I have sata hard drive + burner, can I also have a ide secondry hard drive. running win 7

Chances are that if both your HD and your CD are SATA that you won't have an IDE channel on your motherboard.

What you may be able to do is install Windows 7 onto the same HD. In so doing, it will create a "dual boot". You might want to look into partitioning the HD before although the install process of Win7 might give you some options for that.

Better dig into that before "jumping in"

Every board I've seen lately is set up for SATA but every one of them has at least 1 IDE channel which will run 1 or 2 drives. Some boards give you an F key which allows you to choose a boot sequence. Those that don't you could just change the sequence in the BIOS. Anyhow you should be able to do what you want to do with almost any board out there at the moment.

Every board I've seen lately is set up for SATA but every one of them has at least 1 IDE channel which will run 1 or 2 drives. Some boards give you an F key which allows you to choose a boot sequence. Those that don't you could just change the sequence in the BIOS. Anyhow you should be able to do what you want to do with almost any board out there at the moment.

I beg to differ ... I am looking at my son's Dell system which was built in 2006. There are no IDE slots on the motherboard. There is; however, a slot for a floppy drive controller and if a person didn't know any better, they might mistake that for an IDE slot. Perhaps the boards you've seen did in fact have IDE slots but not all do. I have a mix of Dell Optiplex GX520 (built in '06) and GX360 (built in '09) at work. None of the GX360 have an IDE channel. Some of the GX520's do but not all of them.

Just throwing this out there for folks information.

The way I read his post is that he is already running windows 7, and just wants to know if he can hook up an IDE drive as a slave.

I could be wrong.....happened once before.:smile5:

After I re-read his post, I'm thinkin you could be right ...:think: :think:

I knew I could have both but I didn't know if it was a either one or the other, or both at once. I had vista on ide, but went to win7 as a sata. Wanted to keep ide as a slave so I did as most said it was possible, it worked fine. Like win7, also liked vista, thanks for any help everyone offered.

Even if your MB doesn't have an IDE controller, IDE Controller add-on cards are cheap (or at least they were - don't even know if they are easy to find now). Not sure if it would be worth buying one tho, unless you have some old large IDE drives that you just gotta use. When new SATA 300 drives at 1TB and even 1.5TB are regularly being sold for well under $100 each now, it's hard to see why you'd want to slap in an old slow IDE drive. :080402gudl_prv:

Goose

I just bought two 1.5TB drives for about $60 each - Running them in RAID config so I can store all my media files without having to worry about backing them up (or loosing them)! I have been putting the source wave files on a 1TB external drive, but that leaves them at risk of a disk failure. At that price it is ridiculous not to upgrade the storage.

Goose

Well....I've been messing with these things for a while also. My first one was a TI 99 4A and used a cassette deck for data storage. Then I hit the big time and got a PC with a floppy drive. Next I got TWO floppy drives and that was state of the art. I was running DOS at that time. My first hard drive was a 20 MB and was amazing. :)

I did mess with Linux for a few years because the company I worked for had a proprietary software program that ran on Linux and interfaced with industrial PLCs. That was in the earlier Linux days and everything was a major thing..even the simple task of formatting a floppy.

I know that everybody complains about Windows but I'm perfectly happy with my Windows XP. Berfore XP, I used Windows NT and later Windows 2000 and they worked pretty well for me also.

I still remember when the first 20mb hd's came out. We thought we would take a year to use all that storage. :doh: :rotf::rotf:

20MB??? Hah!! I started on a Burroughs 220 tube and we had 10K!!!!!!! :sign woo hoo: Used to take up the whole room with AC in the subfloor to keep the tubes from overheating.... :)

Well....I've been messing with these things for a while also. My first one was a TI 99 4A and used a cassette deck for data storage. Then I hit the big time and got a PC with a floppy drive. Next I got TWO floppy drives and that was state of the art. I was running DOS at that time. My first hard drive was a 20 MB and was amazing. :)

I know that everybody complains about Windows but I'm perfectly happy with my Windows XP. Berfore XP, I used Windows NT and later Windows 2000 and they worked pretty well for me also.

You pretty much paralleled me. TI 99 4A...??? dunno what that is but my first was a Tandy something or another that used a cassette. Then I got a Tandy 1000 with a 5.25" floppy. Then I got 2 floppys...then I sold that and got another Tandy with TWO 3.5" floppys...WOW...I had so much extra space! LOL

IMHO as far as Windows goes there were 4 good ones ... Windows 3.1, Windows 95 second edition, Windows NT4, and Windows XP SP2. Everything else was crap with exception of Windows 2000 but it had a few bugs as well. (not considering any Windows server software)

You pretty much paralleled me. TI 99 4A...??? dunno what that is but my first was a Tandy something or another that used a cassette. Then I got a Tandy 1000 with a 5.25" floppy. Then I got 2 floppys...then I sold that and got another Tandy with TWO 3.5" floppys...WOW...I had so much extra space! LOL

The TI99/4A was the first true 16 bit computer - WAY ahead of all other machines out there, especially when compared to the TRaSh-80. If TI had marketed it as a real computer instead of a game machine, it would have locked the market and put Radio Shack, Commodore, Sinclair, and the others in the "also-ran" category much sooner than they got there on their own.

I had the big expansion box for my TI99 that allowed me to add a hard drive and other advanced computer cards (getting out of the "game" category), and I even picked up a pair of defunct DEC Rainbow (DEC's failed attempt at an early PC) floppy drives and married them to the system so I could get rid of the danged cassette storage! Ahhhh, those were the days . . .

Goose

If TI had marketed it as a real computer instead of a game machine, it would have locked the market and put Radio Shack, Commodore, Sinclair, and the others in the "also-ran" category much sooner than they got there on their own.

Had that happened, there probably would have been no Microsoft and Bill would have become a server at McDonalds.... :crying: :crying: :crying:

:sign20: