IGNORED

need help evaluating purchase of 87 V.Royale!

I do not yet own this bike but I am looking at buying it. In the "known problems" thread, there is this:

Stators. Early models suffered from stator failure due to over heating. Later models incorporated an oil cooling system.

What years? On a 80's honda goldwings, you have to drop the engine or put on an external alternator kit which costs $600 and robs you of 6 m.p.g. It is so common of a problem, I don't want to own one. I'm going to South Mexico, and I do not want to face this problem.

So. What years, and what is the fix? Do you need larger stators to take care of accessory lights and gadjets? Should I not add them?

Is there anything else I need to look at closely on this bike?

I do not yet own this bike but I am looking at buying it. In the "known problems" thread, there is this:

Stators. Early models suffered from stator failure due to over heating. Later models incorporated an oil cooling system.

What years? On a 80's honda goldwings, you have to drop the engine or put on an external alternator kit which costs $600 and robs you of 6 m.p.g. It is so common of a problem, I don't want to own one. I'm going to South Mexico, and I do not want to face this problem.

So. What years, and what is the fix? Do you need larger stators to take care of accessory lights and gadjets? Should I not add them?

Is there anything else I need to look at closely on this bike?

First, the problem was with the 83/84's I think but at least it was not a problem on the 87.

Fairly easy fix on the Venture, can be done with directions here on the site in no more than a couple of hours.

There is a larger stator available but I won't comment on that but there is one available.

I would just stay within the range of the original stator and you should be able to add about anything you like except for maybe heated clothing.

They had the kinks pretty well out of the bike by the 87 model as far as known problems are concerned.

Hope it works out for you, they are great bikes,

BOO

Jon,

Welcome to the site. I don't know much about the first gen (early year models) bikes but wanted to bump this up for some of the old-timers to answer.

As a point of protocol, when you purchase this bike, you MUST post a picture. You will get no end to the ration of sh*t if you don't.:smile5:

Again, welcome. Good luck in evaluating and getting this fine ride.

RR

Chuck,

What Boo mentioned is good advise, the 1200's had the problem with the oil porting on the stator, there was a fix incorporated in the '85's I believe. The 1300's '86 to '93 didn't have this issue. There is an aftermarket stator upgrade that will help, but I have never done one and haven't had issues with any of the stators in the 4 1st gens I have owned. If the deal is right, make it happen, there is plenty enough advise here to help you with any and every problem you might have. I'm so confident in the 1st gens that I just bought an '89 with 102K on it and have been riding it with no worries as I know it's a pretty bulletproof bike.

I have an 87 VR. It is my 3rd 1stgen Venture and the best of the lot so far. There are no real issues with this bike other then the fact that it is 22 years old. A trip to Southern Mexico should be a blast on this bike and it will run on cheap low grade gas just fine (85 octane).Service is easy and there isn't anything you can't fix fairly easy if something does go bad.It's not like a Gold Wing that has to be totally disassembled to fix. Clutches,Alternators,most seals, etc are within easy reach. I have been riding 1st gens since 1986 and they are great bikes and very reliable.

Things to check when buying:

Does cruise control work? Not a major put off but nice to have and could be expensive to fix if you want it. I just use a throttle lock.

CLASS unit: This is the compressor/suspension adjustment.Cold solder joins are usually the problem in a non working one and the cracks can be seen an fixed with a magnifying glass and a cheap soldering iron.Little or no skill required just patience. Again not a deal killer just something to be aware of.I am sure info on this fix is on here somewhere,if not try Venturers.Org

Return cable from carbs to junction box(under left side fairing):Buy a spare one before you go.This is the cable that usually breaks and you are done until you get a new one or fix the old one.

Rear wheel: lube the drive splines and the pins that go into the rubber dampners and the needle bearing in the rear wheel.There are instructions on this web site to do that.Normal maintainence item.

Steering head bearings:normal maintainence item.check for flat spots.Info is on this website.

I don't know how much experience you have in maintainence or what the bike you are looking at is like.These are just a few of the things I think one should look for when buying an old VR and/or taking off on a long trip in foreign lands.There are lots of other things to do and I am sure others here will give of their experience.

Good luck, safe trip and SEND US PICTURES :photographing:

Actually, the stator fix came mid '84. Used ones can usually be bought for around $25, and the higher output aftermarket ones go for around $130 give or take.

As long as it starts and runs and doesn't leave a trail of smoke, jump on it if it is a good price. A good price would be around $3000 give or take...

I will post pictures if the deaql happens. I am so excited I feel like it is x-mas in 1960 and I know I'm getting a Scwinn.

I am very pleased to hear of the bolt on approach to common engine elements. The last failure I had was on a Honda and I had to crack the engine open to get to the centrifical starter motor/ selenoid.

I will take extra components, and will buy a full shop manual in case I need to order parts or translate to Pedro.

I have been soldering and repairing wiring since I was a kid, so this 80's low tech electonics doesn't bother me- I just hope I can get parts. I hear that the 80's bikes are still easy to get- Yes? No?

Anyway, thanks again.:witch_brew:

There's actually less parts NOT available for these bikes than IS available. I would encourage you to check out the Indian reg/rec group buy thread we have going. The original rectifiers/regulators are OK, but the new ones allow more power thruput at lower RPMs. Useful if you're running extra lights and stuff, especially sitting at the light. Most everything else is pretty bullet-proof like Squid says.

Dan