IGNORED

1st gen starter removal

bmannon

GeorgeS is right. The header pipe is a couple of bolts. The pain in the a$$ part is loosening of the thermostat housing to get that extra wiggle room so the starter will drop out. You may want to order a gasket for that in case it won't move and you have to scrape it off.

GeorgeS is right. The header pipe is a couple of bolts. The pain in the a$$ part is loosening of the thermostat housing to get that extra wiggle room so the starter will drop out. You may want to order a gasket for that in case it won't move and you have to scrape it off.

is it a simple gasket? could i make one?

Here is the link to the starter clutch repair. This is after the stator & middle gear covers are removed. http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=5944

The exhaust pipe removal, for pulling the starter is much easier.

THIS ISNT NECESSARY TO REMOVE THE STARTER IS IT?

I am just planning on pulling the starter motor and cleaning it up.

Nope, just comparison between pulling the starter & doing a starter clutch. That is all.......

ok, had me worried there! i wasnt sure if i was being told that the starter clutch had to come out also. i feel relieved now.

so what about the gasket, is it something i should be able to home brew if i need it?

and one more thing, thanks to everyone for the help :bowdown:

You only need to remove the Starter Clutch, If you are hearing Loud Clanging Noise on start attempt. If you hear it, You will know what it is !!

Big article in the 1st gen Maint Library on this web site concerning this repair.

Just removeing the start motor, to work on it, is easy, remove pipe, remove 2 bolts, and pull it out.

On replacement, BE VERY CAREFULL NOT TO OVERTORQUE, the Nut holding the Red Battery Cable, on the starter. The Stud can TWIST, and break OFF, Inside the motor unit. !!!!!

You only need to remove the Starter Clutch, If you are hearing Loud Clanging Noise on start attempt. If you hear it, You will know what it is !!

Big article in the 1st gen Maint Library on this web site concerning this repair....

But there are good News .... I figure two, maybe three Weeks until public Anouncement.