IGNORED

Need photos showing trailer hitch installation...

Have 2, a custom and a Markland. Both came with '88 parts bikes I sold, but neither was installed. I can fit them, but I'd like to see how other first gen trailer hitches are installed. Looks like there are several options for the front connection, some move more than others. Looks like the connections under the saddlebags might require a longer bolt, or some spacers. Shoulda gone to Ft. Collins and got my own photos.

I mounted my markland hitch after looking at Squidley's pictures. You'll need either longer bolts through the saddlebags or as I did I used a smaller shoulder bolt that just slid through the bolt hole. It's not real difficult to mount but I had to lose my rear mudflap. It works very well, I now have about 2800 miles pulling my Bushtec trailer with no problems at all.

• 5 years later...

Is this the stock mud flap you are having trouble with?I have mounted 2 Marklands one on an 83 and one on an 86 and they all cleared the flap just fine.The front mounts to the muffler mounts.There should be no movement when all mounted up.Use a longer screw/bolt that will go thru the nut on the bag mount the use another nut/washer to tighten it up to the bottom of the bag mount.There is also a u clamp that goes on at the tabs back by the ball plate.BTW this description only applies to the 86-93 series.

Does anyone have a photo the forward attachments looking down or forward to show exactly where it fits? I have the picture attached looking in but nothing showing how it fits on the bolt.

It is really hard to try to get a pic of this area, it's tight and only accessible from below.

With mine I had to get longer blots for the muffler mount. Watch your bolt length, to long can hit the rear suspension, to short and the nut will fall off.

The stack up is, with the muffler mounted as normal the bolt goes thru a nut that is welded to the frame, so you put the front of the Markland bracket on the end of the muffler bolt that is sticking out of the weld nut, and then put a lock nut on to hold the bracket.

For the middle mount that goes up under the saddle bags, I drilled out the 6mm weld nut that is on the crash bar to 1/4 inch. I then made up a spacer out of a piece of galvanized pipe that had an ID to just fit over the drilled out nut. the length of the spacer should be just long enough to fill the space between the plate on the hitch and the plate on the crash bar. I then used a 1/4-20 grade 8 bolt that went from inside of the bag thru the drilled nut, thru the spacer, thru the plate of the hitch thru a grade 8 flat washer and finally a grade 8 lock nut.

For the rear mount there are 2 tabs on the chrome part of the hitch. There should be a short flat strap with a hole in each end that goes from this tab to a bracket that attaches to a piece of frame that holds the bumper on. Most people do not remove this bracket when taking the hitch off of another bike. So it is often missing.

This is how I modified my Markland hitch

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=52757

Edited by Flyinfool

• 4 months later...
  • 8 years later...
On 3/20/2022 at 4:59 PM, Pasta Burner said:

@Squidley@Freebird any chance of restoring these pics?  Sorry for all the requests.  I took my markland off when I first got the bike and am trying to put it back on.  I think I understand from the words but just want to be sure.

I restored what I could find.  FlyinFools pictures must have been kinked or something because I don't find them.

• Thanks 1