IGNORED

not a nice welcome to Tx. yesterday

Thom

got my 1st speed ticket in 21 years yesterday , i was in the rite lane , not passing anyone on a 4 lane , lots of cars around me , the speed limit drops from 60 to 55 to 50 to 45 in 1.5 miles . i ask him to ck. my DL , and it shows that i am a safe driver and please call in a 27 and it prove i am a good driver , he said that it dos not make a dif. if i am a safe driver , it is my turn to get a ticket , the law of averages . WHAT !!

i was thinking all these years i did not have to be a good driver , to keep from getting tickets , i just wait for my turn ! after he wrote the ticket and gave it to me , he told me a story about a few years ago he came to the company i work for to pick up somebody on a wants and warrants and the manager stalled him so the bad guy could slip out the back and how he hounded the company until he cought the badguy , that was 3 managers ago ! by the way , i was driving the company truck and he stopped me in the company parking lot . he told me i was doing 53 in a 45 zone and i did not read the ticket until i cooled downed 2 hours later , the ticket said i was doing 58 in a 45 zone and my court date is 11/04/08 at 9am !!! that only gives me Monday to pay the 210 dollar fine !

So if you are in Rockport Tx. it do's not make a dif. if your a good driver and drive with flow of the trafic , it mite be your turn to get a ticket and or it mite be what the sign reads on your truck .

Ok i feel beter now i have let off some steam , i know i could fight the ticket and with the rite lawyer i would win than i would make all of Rockport PD mad at me and i would have to move , but i kinda like this town so i'll just put my tail between my legs and pay the ticket . [ i wonder if the Judge owns a RV , he, he , ]

Thom

As is your right to pay an unjust ticket, I would have to exercise my right and fight it. Especially with the info you just gave about the cop/manager/ wanted man. Seems like harassment since he grabbed you and not people who were ahead and behind you. I would make that a relative point at my trial.

got my 1st speed ticket in 21 years yesterday , i was in the rite lane , not passing anyone on a 4 lane , lots of cars around me , the speed limit drops from 60 to 55 to 50 to 45 in 1.5 miles . i ask him to ck. my DL , and it shows that i am a safe driver and please call in a 27 and it prove i am a good driver , he said that it dos not make a dif. if i am a safe driver , it is my turn to get a ticket , the law of averages . WHAT !!

i was thinking all these years i did not have to be a good driver , to keep from getting tickets , i just wait for my turn ! after he wrote the ticket and gave it to me , he told me a story about a few years ago he came to the company i work for to pick up somebody on a wants and warrants and the manager stalled him so the bad guy could slip out the back and how he hounded the company until he cought the badguy , that was 3 managers ago ! by the way , i was driving the company truck and he stopped me in the company parking lot . he told me i was doing 53 in a 45 zone and i did not read the ticket until i cooled downed 2 hours later , the ticket said i was doing 58 in a 45 zone and my court date is 11/04/08 at 9am !!! that only gives me Monday to pay the 210 dollar fine !

So if you are in Rockport Tx. it do's not make a dif. if your a good driver and drive with flow of the trafic , it mite be your turn to get a ticket and or it mite be what the sign reads on your truck .

Ok i feel beter now i have let off some steam , i know i could fight the ticket and with the rite lawyer i would win than i would make all of Rockport PD mad at me and i would have to move , but i kinda like this town so i'll just put my tail between my legs and pay the ticket . [ i wonder if the Judge owns a RV , he, he , ]

Thom

Thom.

if you go through REFUGIO, a little town to your north, you must drive the posted limit, or below!

if the sign says 30 M.P.H, don't get caught going 32, !

worst town i have ever seen , for ENFORCING speed limits!

just jt

They've got a local in Estelline that loves writing tickets as well and just about any spot on I-27 between Amarillo and Lubbock is a good spot to get a ticket. Now, just in case some of you like going north on 287 to Springfeild, CO from Boise City, OK. There is a local in Campo, CO that is constantly on patrol and he lives for writing tickets. The speed going northbound drops from 65 to 55 to 40 to 30 MPH. He will cite you for going 2 MPH over. Just hit the brakes and do the speed limit through this town. It won't be long before you're through it.

Guest texasyamahamama

Schlepporello is absolutely right about Estelline. On down US 287 you have the same problem in Quanah, Chillicothe, and Electra. I understand there's a young cop in Childress who loves to write tickets, he's my young, dumb nephew. If I thought it would do any good Aunt Jackie would have a heart to heart with the boy.

Jackie

Here in Tx it's a triple wammy.

Fine and court costs, DPS fines for 3 years (points), then your insurance goes up. Or get a lawyer. I got 3 at one time 2 years ago. Got a lawyer. Total costs could have been over a thousand. At $400 now.

thom440, you left out one fact: were you speeding? If you were speeding, didn't you decide to break the law? If you broke the law, shouldn't there be some consequence?

No one on this thread so far has addressed this. Is everyone here above the law? Are we all supposed to slide by the law as long as we don't do it often? "Yes, Judge, but this was the first murder/rape/robbery/theft that I have been caught at in 27 years, so you should let me off." Should we slide by as long as we only slightly break the law? "Judge, the person I killed wasn't very important", "Judge, it was just a dumpy little convenience store that I robbed -- it was asking for it.", "Judge, the helmet was left on the bike unlocked and unguarded, so I took it -- that's not so bad, right?"

IF you broke the law, then pay the consequences and don't break it any more. IF you did not break the law, then fight the ticket. In these two cases, you will be doing the right thing.

What else is there?

Guest weirdbeard
thom440,

IF you broke the law, then pay the consequences and don't break it any more. IF you did not break the law, then fight the ticket. In these two cases, you will be doing the right thing.

What else is there?

Is anything ever that black and white? Cops should leave a little room for inaccurate equipment. Radar detectors are not always 100%.

Lots of good cops out there, but there is always that four foot tall bad apple that likes to abuse his or her power and bully good law abiding people.

That's why I asked the question: were you speeding?

If you see the flashing lights and look down and see that you were doing 53 or 58 in a 45 zone, then you know you were breaking the law -- pay the consequences and resolve to do right. Don't try to get away with a wrong that you know you were doing, by raising doubt about whether the officer's equipment is accurate enough to prove it, or by raising against the officer an accusation of bias.

If you looked down and saw 45 but the officer says you were doing more, then one of you has faulty equipment and you should fight the ticket as well as determine whose equipment it wrong, so it can be fixed.

Is anything ever that black and white? Cops should leave a little room for inaccurate equipment. Radar detectors are not always 100%.

Lots of good cops out there, but there is always that four foot tall bad apple that likes to abuse his or her power and bully good law abiding people.

Thats funny cuz I just wrote a piece on cops like that LOL

IF everything happened as you say, and I have no reason to doubt you, then this guyneeds to be addressed by his superiors. It makes all of us LEOs look bad.

I, for one, have never taken personal matters to work. I HAVE written summonses, or arrested people who I may have had issues with in the past, but many times, when I have stopped someone I don't particularly like, or have done something to me or my family in the past, I might give them a break (if the offense is minor enough). Kinda gives me the one up on them if you know what I mean.

In those cases, I know they will do something similar again and one of my co-workers will get them.

Of course, when an arrest or ticket is warranted, I will absolutely do what I have to do...I just MIGHT enjoy it a little more.

:cool10:

thom440, you left out one fact: were you speeding? If you were speeding, didn't you decide to break the law? If you broke the law, shouldn't there be some consequence?

No one on this thread so far has addressed this. Is everyone here above the law? Are we all supposed to slide by the law as long as we don't do it often? "Yes, Judge, but this was the first murder/rape/robbery/theft that I have been caught at in 27 years, so you should let me off." Should we slide by as long as we only slightly break the law? "Judge, the person I killed wasn't very important", "Judge, it was just a dumpy little convenience store that I robbed -- it was asking for it.", "Judge, the helmet was left on the bike unlocked and unguarded, so I took it -- that's not so bad, right?"

IF you broke the law, then pay the consequences and don't break it any more. IF you did not break the law, then fight the ticket. In these two cases, you will be doing the right thing.What else is there?

the big ? is was i speeding ? to tell the truth , i have no idea , i was driving in the rite lane ,i saw the pd a few cars behind me , i changed lanes to make a left turn at the traffic lite , pulled in to the turn lane waited for the lite to turn green the pd was behind me made my turn , drove 1 blk , turn on turn sig. to make my turn into the co. parking lot and than the party lites came on . where he said he clocked me was about 4 miles from where he stopped me and he did not turn on his lites untill i had made my left turn off the main 4 lane hwy , witch i think is smart because with all the heavy traffic if he had turned the lite show on and hit the big horn everybody would have freaked , brakelites and bumpers . about the speeding , i was driving with the flow of traffic and was not passing anyone , if the flow of traffic was speeding than yes i was , i do not look at the speedo in traffic , my main b###ch is that i was told it was my turn to get a ticket and the leo did not like the company i work for and what he said i was doing and what he wrote down are 2 dif. things annnnnnnd buy the way HE WAS NOT 4 FEET TALL , he between 5'2 and 5'4 he was city pd not a deputy or a state trooper .

i am going to the court house tomorrow with cash in hand to pay the fine , ask some ? , if i don't like what i here i'll just never drive in the city again , i don,t live or work in the city , i just drive through it , shop there and eat there and i can stop doing that . the company i work for is rite on the city limet line ,

Thom

Police have their jobs to do many/most places have a "quota" sometimes called "performance standards" for tickets to show the men are actually doing something instead driving around aimlessly. Most police can not immediatley check your "driving record" to see if your a good driver. The judge is the one to decide based on your driving record how to handle your case not the policeman and just think how many times you probably have exceeded the speed limit and did not get caught probably many many more times then when you actually got a ticket. Just because your are driving in a pack of vehicles does not mean you werent speeding. Utilizing a laser you can be picked off very easily in between cars the beam is only 3 ft wide at a 1000' and less at closer distances. A radar is another issue its more of a shotgun effect picks up other vehicles but many can be programmed to discard traffic moving in one direction and can be programmed to pick up the fastest vehicle along with the strongest radar return. Then it up to the policeman to visually verify which vehicle it is based on his experiance you can tell how fast a car is moving by looking at within a reasonable amount of error plus or minus 5mph most police can do this if they run radar enough. You can always contact your representitives and try to have the laws changed so speeding tickets are less of an issue or petition to have the speed limits changed. (Good Luck) This is not to say that thier arent bad police, there are, but sometimes you have to take your medicine for something you did. Now tickets really shoudnt be issued below 5mph over the limit because of the car speedometers inaccuracy. One over is ridiculous.

Edited by CrazyHorse

Thom

It is because most people put thier tail between thier legs and pay the fines that the dishonest cops get away with misusing thier authority to harrass the public because of thier personal agendas. It makes me sick to my stomach.

Police have their jobs to do many/most places have a "quota" sometimes called "performance standards" for tickets to show the men are actually doing something instead driving around aimlessly. Most police can not immediatley check your "driving record" to see if your a good driver. The judge is the one to decide based on your driving record how to handle your case not the policeman and just think how many times you probably have exceeded the speed limit and did not get caught probably many many more times then when you actually got a ticket. Just because your are driving in a pack of vehicles does not mean you werent speeding. Utilizing a laser you can be picked off very easily in between cars the beam is only 3 ft wide at a 1000' and less at closer distances. A radar is another issue its more of a shotgun effect picks up other vehicles but many can be programmed to discard traffic moving in one direction and can be programmed to pick up the fastest vehicle along with the strongest radar return. Then it up to the policeman to visually verify which vehicle it is based on his experiance you can tell how fast a car is moving by looking at within a reasonable amount of error plus or minus 5mph most police can do this if they run radar enough. You can always contact your representitives and try to have the laws changed so speeding tickets are less of an issue or petition to have the speed limits changed. (Good Luck) This is not to say that thier arent bad police, there are, but sometimes you have to take your medicine for something you did. :080402gudl_prv::080402gudl_prv:

Jimbob , i don't speed and never went over the speed limit in my life !!! that is why i ride a 1st gen !! i like small , slow m/cs with no hp and i don't lie ether [ i just sit a lot ] lol

Thom

It is because most people put thier tail between thier legs and pay the fines that the dishonest cops get away with misusing thier authority to harrass the public because of thier personal agendas. It makes me sick to my stomach.

A little harsh there slayer. I doubt most police are gonna harass the public for the fun of it. It's not like the police are getting a cut of the ticket. Blame more likely the city managers who are crying for money (ie. red light camaras, photo speed enforcement comes to mind) for their pet projects.