IGNORED

New Antifreeze start up ??

I have changed my anti freeze and have let the bike run now for 20 minutes, long enough that it got hot enough for the cooling fan to kick on. I notice that the overflow is about 1 inch above normal full level. So I suppose this is normal. If there was any air locks or reason for the bike to get hot (boil over), should it have done so in that length of time ???

Never changed antifreeze in a bike before..............

No leaks anywhere and I did the whole drain except the pump. Thank you all for your advice.

:confused24::confused24::confused24::confused24:

If you didn't open the rad to take a look see, then you have wait for the engine to cool so that it can suck any coolant into the system, if there was an air-pocket. By now all the air would be gathered at the fill neck of the rad.

Did you use pre-mixed antifreeze or regular?

The regular needs to be diluted 50/50 with distilled water

Yes used regular Prestone Green 150,000 mile or 5 yrs. Diluted with distilled water. I did use a little more antifreeze than water. I like it just a little stronger than normal.

If you didn't open the rad to take a look see, then you have wait for the engine to cool so that it can suck any coolant into the system, if there was an air-pocket. By now all the air would be gathered at the fill neck of the rad.

Thanks Marcarl, I did have the tank back on and let it cool. Just came up from garage a short time ago and the radiator did as was supposed to. It sucked the antifreeze back into its self and everything back to just a little over full mark, about 1/4 inch above full on the overflow tank. Thanks, so sounds like everything ready to go. Got all fluids changed; oil & filter, rear diff oil, greased all splines/including the axle spline to yoke, new antifreeze. I should be good to go for many moons now.:cool10::cool10: Only thing I would like to do and really do not understand how, I will see about that at Freebirds MD. That is oiling the cables, brake/clutch. I have heard that you need a special tool for this.:confused24: Red is much faster and lot smoother now. Well should be, have not rode it yet.:smile11:

Fuzzy

I just did all the cables on my Virago today. The only cable that will need oil on the Venture is for the choke. No special tool is needed although shops may use a cable luber it isn't necessary. A piece of stiff paper or light cardboard or thin plastic like from a milk jug. A small 1 1/2" or so piece wrapped around the sheath to form a funnel then taped tight works like a charm. Use just a dribble of clean motor oil. Put a cloth under the lower end of the cable to catch the oil that makes it to the far end.

Did you saw your temp light goes on any time?

No never noticed. I did have it up on the lift and could not have saw it come on at initial warm up. I was watching the overflow to see what happened there. My bike has never had temp light on, I changed because the book says change every two yrs. But actually I let it go four yrs and the old antifreeze did still look good. I will not change again until 5 - 6 yrs or 40,000 on the bike.