IGNORED

Light on/Light off ??

Cougar

I am racking my small brain , I know that there are set ups that when you have a switch activated the light will go out. This is possible isn't it? What I am trying to do is that I have BOTH my Headlight and Running lights on relays and switched power,. what I want it to put a small light pod for at least the headlight that when the headlight is OFF that the small led light is ON.. make since? they way when I forget the little light will show me to turn on your headlight dummy! I am so far liking the way I have my set-up now as I am doing so many projects that I need to keep my key on with-out the main light draining my battery .

:scratchchin: maybe I would come off the relay somehow to make this happen? :scratchchin:

Thanks for any info.

Jeff

Edited by Cougar

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I do not ever run with my lights off. it is just a safety factor I am looking for.

re-read my post :) , I want a small light (led bulb) on my dash letting me know IF I ever forget to switch my main light toggle switch back on and then the small led would turn

it-self off when the headlight was on.

Jeff

They make indicating switches that will glow when the load is turned off, or the relay you are using may have a set of normally closed (N/C) contacts on there. If not, just switch it out for one that does, then run the lead off of the N/C side up to your led.

And go ahead and add some more lights!

Mike, I know there is a way to do this mod. but just have not figured it out yet. wonder if carbon-one would know :think:

MidlifeVenture. so your saying run another relay of the relay I have now?

OR your saying run a different type of relay? in that circuit? OH MY!:D

I would just look for a 12 volt indicating switch that glows when it's off. Assuming you are using a power circuit to feed the switch that comes off the ignition switch and is dead with the key off. That may be easiest for you. Just go to your local auto parts supplier and have them find you one.

Gots Da LEDs working now with a detachable harness to be able to pull the tank !

I am running white LED's under the tank . makes chrome look more shinny! :D

Also, it would work real well as a huge flashlight if something went wrong while being in the dark , to be able to look at the engine if there was ever a problem!

Today , I should have the front blinkers done as well. SO MUCH WIRING!.

Glad I bought a BIG Boy Crimping tool. I LOVE it. it has come in real handy!

OK, Maybe I will do this instead. IF I connect a small light to 87A

And flip my switch ON the small light will come ON. maybe I will just find

a tiny small light and when my lights are on the small light will come on

I just wanted it to go OFF when main lights were ON.

Will it work the way I want if I connect it to another terminal though.. :scratchchin:

checking now...

Scott, Just checked. as I am in the garage with Internet access ,

walked over when you posted and checked. lights are on 87, now when

I put a small bulb to 87A and the other end to ground. the small bulb

will only turn on when I flip the switch for the headlight to turn on.

When I flip the switch to off the small bulb will turn off. 87A is

in the center of the relay if I look at the diagram and not in use

at this time. think I have something hooked up wrong? maybe I better

call you :D

Jeff

Some automotive style relays do not have an 87A NC (back) contact.

They internally tie the 87 NO (front) contact to the 87A, it gives you another connection point on the relay.

I have such a relay in my collection.

If you have an Ohm meter, check for continuity between the 87 & 87A contacts.

See this write up for some info on relays.

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=43150

Gary

So right now I have the relay that has contact/power on both 87 and 87A

Now what relay do I need to add a small bulb the go OFF

when connected to 87A when I hit my toggle switch to

turn my headlight on? Sound as if your saying that there is

such a relay :) HELP *LOL*

Jeff not all relays with the 87a and 87 posts are NO/NC type relays. When checking on relays look for one with the diagram like the one Midlife posted.

If both 87a & 87 have power at the same time they're both tied together as Gary says.

Using one with schematics like Midlife posted will do what you want. Power to the little bulb when key is on and off when you throw the switch for the bikes lights.

Larry

Jeff not all relays with the 87a and 87 posts are NO/NC type relays. When checking on relays look for one with the diagram like the one Midlife posted.

If both 87a & 87 have power at the same time they're both tied together as Gary says.

Using one with schematics like Midlife posted will do what you want. Power to the little bulb when key is on and off when you throw the switch for the bikes lights.

Larry

just curious - if you have a single pole double throw relay (spdt) - the common pole connects to a normally closed point (this is one throw) the coil is unenergized - when the coil is energized the common pole connects to the normally open pole (this is the second throw..... when does a single pole double throw relay NOT have a NO & NC point? what is the sense in having a spdt relay if what you say is true ?

just curious - if you have a single pole double throw relay (spdt) - the common pole connects to a normally closed point (this is one throw) the coil is unenergized - when the coil is energized the common pole connects to the normally open pole (this is the second throw..... when does a single pole double throw relay NOT have a NO & NC point? what is the sense in having a spdt relay if what you say is true ?

A SPST relay does not have the second contact in it. (Either a NO or NC but not both)

A SPDT has both contacts in it (NO & NC)

Gary

I love this place , Just got off the phone with Gary. and he has me all set.

Just like you describe Larry! FANTASTIC! THANKS THANKS THANKS !!!

When I get the correct Relays It will do what I want it to do!

Did I say THANKS! :think:

Was a real pleasure talking with you Gary! Man this guy knows his relays! :happy65:

Gary and Larry otta have a relay convention or something! The PDF File

walk through was a good experience as well.

Jeff

A SPST relay does not have the second contact in it. (Either a NO or NC but not both)

A SPDT has both contacts in it (NO & NC)

Gary

if you had stated that you were referencing a SPST then i would have agreed with you original post - and my post did specify a SPDT - so i recon we were both correct !! glad cougar got his problem solved.