IGNORED

Stebel Nautilus Horn Install

I know there's a number of posts on this but I did mine slightly differently so thought a fresh thread was in order.

Firstly tho, thanks to all the others who have posted info about this topic. From it, I was able to complete the wiring very easily and your posts gave me ideas about mounting my horn in a different location, plus retain the stock horn.

As you'll see from the pics, I mounted my horn just aft of the passenger footrest. I made a small bracket to fit on the rear footrest mounting point. I put a bend into it to hook underneath the footrest bracket soas to counter the weight of the horn as there's only one bolt holding the bracket.

Pics are in order of completed project --> creating the bracket.

OH man that sukkah is loud!

Question.... there's a small plastic air intake attachment on the bottom of the horn. Looks like a person should connect a tube up to it and route it somewhere. Any suggestions on what the rest of you have done with this??

That's pretty much what I did but I installed mine on the other side of the bike so I didn't deafen my passenger if I had the sidecar installed.

http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j54/Danlapan/Footrest/Footrestsupport018.jpg

Oh yea, I meant to answer you question in my post... That is what the hose is for (re routing the air inlet) but I do not have the hose on mine and it still works fine (as I have read many others do too). The little plastic black piece though says it needs to be on there for the horn to function... :confused24:

Edited by LilBeaver
spelling

I'd thought about that idea (inside the fairing) but didn't want to "get into it" just yet. Will make a good winter project tho coz no doubt I'll have the fairing split for some reason or another.

A lot of people are afraid to split their fairings but it's too easy to do and simple to do.. just a bunch of screws.. and doesn't take long.. we're not talking about a day-job removing the whole front end of the bike, just the front half of the fairing..

I've got to pull mine off again to do the new antenna installation..

Like everyone else said that little intake is for a hose. the horn can be disassembled from the compressor and mounted in a different position

This way you can hide the compressor and just have the horn portion

showing . A friend of mine did this and it works great. I mounted mine same place you mounted yours, but I was going to seperate the two and mount them in different spots. Just haven't found the time.. Too busy riding!!!

I like this idea. I do not like this horn in the stock horn location where I currently have it. I have wanted where you put it for some time. I just have not put the time and effort into coming up with a bracket to put it there. I want to put one on the other side too.

Much though everyone thinks this horn is so loud, I'm not that impressed with it. I've been in situations where it could barely be heard by even me. I could only hope someone else heard it too. I want louder ones, and more of them. I can't even imagine riding with only the stock horn. One might as well just squeeze a mouse.

I just recently installed my Stebel compact air horn at the location of the stock right side horn. I used the right angle crimp connectors for the wires on the bottom of the compressor. You can find these at Advance Auto parts or Home Depot. Some places call them "flag" connectors.

For the rider who said they can't hardly hear the Stebel, you might want to check to make sure it is functioning properly. Mine definitely is loud and gets attention.

Phoenix

• 2 months later...
That's pretty much what I did but I installed mine on the other side of the bike so I didn't deafen my passenger if I had the sidecar installed.

http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j54/Danlapan/Footrest/Footrestsupport018.jpg

I like that idea. I have one installed where the OEM was but I would like one on the open road side and not just on the ditch side.....so to wake any cagers coming from that side at me LOL. 2 should be louder then one....the louder the better.

One more bit of advice... Be sure and mount your relay with the terminals pointed down.

Most will do this naturally but the person that installed the horn for the previous owner of my bike must not have been natural. :D The relay isn't sealed so if you mount it terminals up then you will eventually have a relay full of mud. I wondered why my Stebel was quieter than most before it finally quit working.

One more bit of advice... don't test it when holding it in front of you with the bell pointed toward your face. It's painful! :shock3:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
Does anyone have pics of where the second horn is hidden in the lowers? I might want to change this one out too.

Don't have pictures, but with the left lower off, it is at the very bottom. It is black thus hard to see.

Before I wired mine to the Stebel relay all it would do is make a weak groaning noise. once I put the larger wire to it, it is really loud, for a stock horn.