IGNORED

Engine oil & filter

Guest USA1

Hello, is anyone using a Wal-Mart Super Tech brand oil filter? Also how about Valvoline 20W50 motorcycle oil? This is the only local option I have for these kinds of products and I sure don't want to cause problems for my 2006 RSTD. Thanks for your help!

The super Tech filter is a very good filter at a great price. I was using PureOne filters, but it appears to be nearly identical at nearly 3 times the cost. On the oil I use Rotella, just because my family has been in heavy equipment for years and the stuff is very good. Here's a thread on the filters you may find interesting. Also, I've found similar threads on other sights concerning cars. BTW, that ST7317 fits my lawn mower and Infiniti G35. Less that $3. What a bargain. :2cents:FWIW

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=371&highlight=super+tech

I use a Fram oil Filter and the Rotella oil. The Rotella is the only oil I have ever used in my RSV's and have never had a problem. I read some time ago that oil designed for diesel engines was good for a wet clutch system and so far I have 67,000 on my engine, 25,000 in the last year alone and no clutch problems.

Hello, is anyone using a Wal-Mart Super Tech brand oil filter? Also how about Valvoline 20W50 motorcycle oil? This is the only local option I have for these kinds of products and I sure don't want to cause problems for my 2006 RSTD. Thanks for your help!

I used Valvoline MC 10-40 in the winter, and 20-50 in the summer, with no complaints except the price at my local auto parts dealer. Since I'd heard so many good things about Rotella 15-40 I decided to switch over last summer. Buy it at Walmart for about $8 bucks a gallon.... about half the price I was paying for the Valvoline. So far so good.....

Hey,

How does this work with maintaining the 5 yr warranty on the RSV and RSTD. Yamalube is what is recommended in the owner's manual. If anything happend to the motor, would this be questioned, and also doing the oil changes yourself?

Any advice or past experiences dealing with an issue like this?

Bar

The super Tech filter is a very good filter at a great price. I was using PureOne filters, but it appears to be nearly identical at nearly 3 times the cost.

PureOne is far superior. Supertech is Champion, not Purolator.

The PureOne filter is the best money wise.

The SuperTech is a good filter, but it's not equal to PureOne.

The PureOne has much more media in it and it's tighter packed.

http://www.calsci.com/motorcycleinfo/FilterStudy.html

http://www.calsci.com/motorcycleinfo/Images/OilFilters3.jpg

Hey,

How does this work with maintaining the 5 yr warranty on the RSV and RSTD. Yamalube is what is recommended in the owner's manual. If anything happend to the motor, would this be questioned, and also doing the oil changes yourself?

Any advice or past experiences dealing with an issue like this?

Bar

I have not heard of any engine work being done under warranty, but I'm almost positive that using another kind of oil will not void the warranty. I doubt that anyone would test the oil in the first place.

• 11 months later...

From having been a warranty manager for a heavy equipment dealer, I can say that not using THAT manufacturer's oil would not out right void the warranty. However, if the cause of failure of compartment (i.e. engine, transmission, etc.) could be proved to be caused by someone else's oil then that particular failure would not be paid as warranty.

BTW I noticed on another thread someone mentioned using Rotella and called it synthetic. I don't think it is...

I have been using the super tech oil filters for years in our cars and light trucks and also motorcycles. The Yamaha OEM filters used on the Royal Stars I have seen where someone cut one of them open and it was made just like the old filters found in heating oil filters! Its just a tube with a stack of felt pads and put inside that canister, so just about any thing out there will be better.

I was using Mobil1 MC oil until last week's oil change. After much reading here, I put in Rotella Synthetic (blue bottle). I was paying about $8.50 per qt of Mobil ($34 for and oil change). I got the gallon of Rotella around $20

I use Wix or NapaGold filters. They are a little pricier than Fram or SuperTech, but I don't mind the extra $2.

quote.

BTW I noticed on another thread someone mentioned using Rotella and called it synthetic. I don't think it is...

Check this out:

http://www.shell.com/home/Framework?siteId=rotella-en&FC2=/rotella-en/html/iwgen/products/zzz_lhn.html&FC3=/rotella-en/html/iwgen/products/product_rotellasynthcj4.html

I would imagine if the oil you are running meets up to the specs listed in the owners manual, I don't think it could void your warrenty. I haven't specifically checked on the motor oil, but on the final drive oil it recommends Yamalube gear oil or equivelent. Then it goes on to give some specs that the oil has to meet. I would suspect it does the same for engine oil.

Edited by raceman62race

I've ran the Rotella Synthetic in 3 of my scoots with no problems. I had a 2002 Suzuki VL1500 that I purchased used in 04 with 15,000 miles on it and I converted to Rotella and rode it untill it had 48,000 miles and sold it with no problems. I bought the wife a 1993 Virago this past Christmas with 17,000 miles on it and converted to Rotella. And I run Rotella in my 08 RSV. So far, no problems with any of them. I got started on the Rotella when I had the Suzuki bacause of a Suzuki forum I was a member of and it seemed like everyone was running Rotella in their Suzuki's. I wouldn't think you would have an issue if you converted.

I hate to do it but I'm gonna PO some folks. Sorry, but I can't see those who are asking for good advice be led to a bad product.

Because of their advertising, I used to think Fram sold a good filter. After taking one apart I wouldn't use them if they were given to me. They just barely can be called a filter. I won't explain what is wrong with them here because I would rather you see for yourself. It's very easy to do a web search and find where others have taken them apart and compared them to real oil filters.

And a lot of people seem to like the Supertech but from the disassembled ones that I have seen I would rather spend $2 - $4 more for a quality filter. It's 100% better than a Fram and I would even use a Supertech if there was nothing else but it would be at the bottom of my list.

Personally, based on seeing them disassembled, I would use the PureOne from Purolator, the Wix(who makes the NapaGold) or a Nissan car filter. They are all top quality, have the correct bypass pressure and cost between $5-$7. There are other good ones too but they may be harder to find or much more expensive. Currently my Venture has the PureOne and my Road Star has a Nissan.

While I'm at it I might as well throw in an oil comment. :stickpoke:

I currently run Amsoil in both bikes but will be changing to Rotella Synthetic. Last year I could buy the Amsoil for $7.50 qt and now it's $10 qt. That's the only reason that I'm changing. If you don't mind spending a little more, synthetics are much better but these days there is no "bad" oil... as long as you don't use the 'energy conserving' with the additives that will make your clutch slip.

Ok, let the flames begin! LoL

I hate to do it but I'm gonna PO some folks. Sorry, but I can't see those who are asking for good advice be led to a bad product.

Because of their advertising, I used to think Fram sold a good filter. After taking one apart I wouldn't use them if they were given to me. They just barely can be called a filter. I won't explain what is wrong with them here because I would rather you see for yourself. It's very easy to do a web search and find where others have taken them apart and compared them to real oil filters.

And a lot of people seem to like the Supertech but from the disassembled ones that I have seen I would rather spend $2 - $4 more for a quality filter. It's 100% better than a Fram and I would even use a Supertech if there was nothing else but it would be at the bottom of my list.

Personally, based on seeing them disassembled, I would use the PureOne from Purolator, the Wix(who makes the NapaGold) or a Nissan car filter. They are all top quality, have the correct bypass pressure and cost between $5-$7. There are other good ones too but they may be harder to find or much more expensive. Currently my Venture has the PureOne and my Road Star has a Nissan.

While I'm at it I might as well throw in an oil comment. :stickpoke:

I currently run Amsoil in both bikes but will be changing to Rotella Synthetic. Last year I could buy the Amsoil for $7.50 qt and now it's $10 qt. That's the only reason that I'm changing. If you don't mind spending a little more, synthetics are much better but these days there is no "bad" oil... as long as you don't use the 'energy conserving' with the additives that will make your clutch slip.

Ok, let the flames begin! LoL

Friends don't let friends use Fram Using Purolator & Rotella Syn 5w-40 here starts good in 3 feet of snow and zero degrees. :cold::snow2: