IGNORED

Looking for Cargo Trailer

jryan

I'm looking for a cargo trailer to haul my RSV in and just looking for some tips from people that have bought them. Things like "if I was to buy another one, I'd make sure it had..."

I'd like it as light as possible, but also want something that's good quality as I plan on having it for a long time. Looks like Featherlight, Wells Cargo, and USCargo are out there...not sure which others.

I'm sure I'll get flamed from people saying I should just ride the bike. But there are times when it'd be nice to haul the bike from ND to the south and then explore from there (like January when it's -30 degf)!

Unless you get a tilting trailer you need to make sure your ramp (or tailgate if it's used as a ramp) is long enough that there is enough clearance for the bike going over the back edge of the trailer. I prefer a wide ramp that I can stand on with the motorcycle rather than the typical narrow motorcycle ramp. If you're getting an enclosed trailer get one where the rear door opens down to make a ramp.

Then add a wheel chock of your choice to the front of the trailer.

A winch is a great extra. It's fairly obvious how it helps loading but it's equally helpful unloading. You can control the motorcycle's descent with the winch rather than relying on the front brake. That front wheel can slide out if you grab the brake, especially if things are wet. My winch has a long control cable but I see Harbor Freight selling some inexpensive winches with wireless remotes. Of course you'll have to wire your tow vehicle to power the winch if it doesn't already have axillary power for a trailer.

Tie down extensions (which are a heavy nylon strap sewn into a figure 8) are very handy. You can loop them over a structural member then hook your winch or tie downs to them.

A buddy of mine just bought a Rance all aluminium 7X14 single axle

http://www.rancealuminum.com/default.asp?page=cargotrailers

from USA trailers. He was able to order it with several options including a wider side door, 16" centers on floor, walls and roof and flow through vents. He also added electric brakes because he will be towing it behind his van. He is very impressed with the quality of it. It has full tube cross members instead of channel.

I had a 6 x 10 enclosed with tilt rear door as the ramp. Worked great as long as you "ducked" when going into the trailer..

Ask me how I know......

Make sure the trailer is always attached to the truck or pulling vehicle - or - make sure you have supporting leveling stands under the rear ramp at aft end of trailer...ok, ask me how I know this too if you want...let me tell you, it is not very exciting to ride up the ramp door only to end up with the tongue of the trailer pointing in the air and the trailer almost flipping backwards over the top of you...this makes it very had to reach the side entrance door of the trailer when it is located in the front side of the trailer..

I installed slip free, water proof, floor covering on inside surface of ramp door and on floor of trailer.

I also installed 110 volt outlets on the inside and one on the outside for my coffee pot and interior lights front and rear..also it was wired for 220 volts for that just in case need..I installed a used screen door on side entrance door so I could have some fresh air at night, and ran a small box fan to stir the air..

Work shelf in front with my tool box mounted / secured to the floor next to side entrance door for easy access..

Had a small 110 volt air compressor in rear left corner just in case..

When I sold it, the guy who bought it came over, opened the side entrance door, looked inside for a split second, turned and said: Say good buy to it for it is just what I am looking for.. and he bought it.

I have an Aluma mc210, 2 bike trailer. It's not enclosed but it is a great trailer to pull. All aluminum.

You don't say how often you plan to use it. If I were to do it over I wouldn't have bought a trailer at all. The once or twice a year that I need a trailer I would just do as Eck does and rent a U-haul bike trailer. Far cheaper than owning one and I wouldn't have to find a place to store it.

Dennis

My parking space was limited and my trailer is also my bike garage. So I purchased a 6x12 V-Nose high top made by Carry-On. I wanted the high top and v-nose and this was the cheapest I could find. I stained the interior wood, painted the floor, added nonskid, insulated the top, added a shelf and coat hanger. I also added the Harbor Freight motorcycle stand. I am quite happy with it. I plan on adding 110 volt outlets and a heater. So far I am into this less than 3k plus a little work.

Hey MikeWa...that is a sweet setup! Thinking about doing something like this myself with a fold down bunk and AC. Kind of a multi purpose hauler.

Thanks for the pics

Frank

RV suppliers sell roof mounted AC units. I don't know what it would take to reinforce the roof to handle it though. If you are planning on spending some time or sleeping inside make sure you fix the door so someone can't come by and accidently lock you in.

Mike

I just went through this same decision making process myself, and ended up finding a Stinger motorcycle trailer http://www.stingertrailer.com/ locally on craigslist at a price I couldn't pass up. It came equipped with a spare tire and the removable running boards. It performed great when I used it to tow my 2005 RSV from Keller, TX (Fort Worth) to Kansas City and back over the Fourth of July holiday. Tracked straight as an arrow and I had no problem maintaining the new 75 mph speed limits on the Kansas Interstates using my Lexus LS as the tow vehicle.

The trailer I really wanted, and may still purchase some day, is the Drop tail motorcycle trailer http://www.droptailtrailers.com/cruiser.html. I paid a visit to the corporate headquarters, since they're located nearby in Euless, TX. They showed me and then demonstrated their cruiser trailers and I was impressed with the whole form, fit and function. I believe you can click on the logo on their site to see a video. Well thought out engineering.

Both of the trailers I considered were essentially motorcycle specific. If you wanted a fully enclosed trailer, or a trailer with additional utility, then these would not work for you. My goal was a well engineered, safe, motorcycle specific trailer that was capable of being folded and stored in limited space and both of these trailers seem to fill that bill nicely.

Good luck in your search.

RV suppliers sell roof mounted AC units. I don't know what it would take to reinforce the roof to handle it though. If you are planning on spending some time or sleeping inside make sure you fix the door so someone can't come by and accidently lock you in.

Mike

I ordered my new trailer with a RV style door that can be locked and unlocked from the inside. This is apposed to getting the cam bar lock. I also ordered the flush mount stainless steel latch system for the back door. Only one lock right in the centre locks both sides of the ramp door without the ugly exposed cam bars. Some offer stainless cam bar locks as well. The galvinized ones do rust evenually.