# 5 YOU GOTTA put some ARSE behind it!!!!!-----and make some male gutteral sound--

quote.gif

That's the only way I can get my 84 up, that and making sure the ground is solid. I have a gravel driveway and I can't get it up. Not even with a board under it.

Sorry, if I don't do it, someone else will!

At 6'2 and 300+ the centerstand was hard to use. When met RandyA the first time he told me about cutting his off and putting the wheel on it. Of course may next thing was show me.

So he did, now Randy is not the tallest guy you ever met so I watch him very closely, after seeing him put is bike on the centerstand I knew my problem ...

I "chickened" out at the very moment it was ready to "jump" up on the stand. So the way taht works for me is very similar to the video.

Side stand down, center of right foot facing front of bike on center of stand extension, "wobble to get both legs of stand in contact, right hand grabbing "bag rail" (back of hand to side of seat), left hand on handle bar and facing front of bike, begin lifting action with hand not hard just "firm" at this point. Now with a hard push to extend the leg, firm grasp on the bar, pull up, push down and lean back.

When it comes up it is going to be noisy and jump like crazy (show in the video also)

It is now easy (with practice) and everytime I park my bike it goes on the centerstand - I know some say not to but old experiences are hard to let go of - long ago had a Suzuki 750 impale the asphalt on a hot Georigia day until it looked like the bike had just gotten tired and laid itself down for a nap, took 3 of us to get it "back on its feet". Before you beat me up I have had the centerstand sink in asphalt also, my wife thinks I am crazy for getting drink cans out of the trash and flattening them to put under the stand.

Bought plenty of those stand pads, drove off without them and the teathered ones really beat the bike up flopping along beside you.

My 2 cents ....

That's the only way I can get my 84 up, that and making sure the ground is solid. I have a gravel driveway and I can't get it up. Not even with a board under it.

Well, Bill is in the Navy (think Village People song). :stirthepot: :stickpoke: :duck:

Sorry, if I don't do it, someone else will!

It only took 2 years, since Bill's post above. He has since been learning, to do different things with boards, as part of his Hull Tech training. Now his wife is happy & his honey do list is getting much longer.......:080402gudl_prv: New deck & other projects lined up..... :duck: :rotf::rotf::rotf:

I'm rather small and single handed was flat out of the question... untill I pulled the bolts and greased the heck out of them... life is SO much simpler now. You should remember that a LOT of weight is being transferred to the bolt and pivot so "any grease" is amazing.

Sneakers or flip flops are a no no for this operation. Need good boots with stiff soles so you can out basically ALL your weight on the centerstand lever. At 250 lbs with suspension set fairly stiff it's not too bad but needs some concentration.

I found putting a 2X6 under the REAR tiredid the trick. I had a piece sut the exact length of my saddlebag and kept it in there. I would just roll, or drive the bike onto the 2X6 and it was then really easy to pop it up using the heal of my shoe while standing next to the bike pointing the same direction as the bike and just pull backwards holding both the handlebar and the passenger grab bar. Yes, I kept the kickstand down just in case...

Driving forward was the most effective way to do it but it could be done on or off the bike to dismount from the center stand (or Centre Stand for you Canadians) without starting the bike. Make sure the pivot points for the stand are wel lubricated as well, that helps big time!!

My bike goes on and off the stand ok at home in the garage. But at work where the floor is very shiney and smooth the bike wouldn't come off the stand. It just slid around on the floor when I tried to push it off. So duct tape. Yep a couple of strips in front of the stand and off it came.

Mike

Well, Bill is in the Navy (think Village People song). :stirthepot: :stickpoke: :duck:

It only took 2 years, since Bill's post above. He has since been learning, to do different things with boards, as part of his Hull Tech training. Now his wife is happy & his honey do list is getting much longer.......:080402gudl_prv: New deck & other projects lined up..... :duck: :rotf::rotf::rotf:

Thank you Rocket, my brother in arms. It is amazing what comes back to haunt you years later. And what is wrong with the Village People? :whistling: :canada:

I may have missed the comment, but the 1st thing to do is make SURE the bike is in neutral as I have had mine in gear and when doing the slight roll backwards it bound up slightly. Also, as noted, I cut a half inch out of each leg and it helped a lot. This is especially good for me as I do not run any more air in the rear shock than I need to due to being somewhat in-seam challenged. Also, as noted, I did install a steel wheel to the outside of the right leg and can twirl the bike around on smooth concrete with slight pressure on the trunk. My next project is going to be adding about 3 inches to the arm where the foot pad is. That will increase the leverage a lot in my opinion.

RandyA

Well after all that, what works best for me if I want the centrestand down is to put a jack under the engine mount/crashbar lug on the frame and lift it up, then lower the centrestsand if I want it down.

Then again, I have a large sidecar fitted and couldn't stand to the left of the bike even if I wanted to.

• 2 weeks later...

My 83 VR has at least 3 in. under its rear wheel on the center stand!! Thats alot of lifting, and understandable why it won't go up without something under the rear wheel... I use a bike jack under bike, then put down the CS. I will try the 2x6 under the rear wheel, too. That sounds like a good thing!

I've been using a 2 x 6 under the rear wheel of my 83 VR for awhile now. Just drive up on it and stop, hop off and push down on the stand. It comes up very easy. Can be done with a very light grip and very little effort. Getting the bike off the stand is even easier. Lower the rear shock completely and drive it off the 2 x 6. After stopping on level ground, I stop the bike and put the air back in the rear shock.

Jim