During my 5 day trip I noticed my rstd doesn't always start with the first push of the starter button. Very seldom does it start on the first try. My Vulcan starts always with the first try. Is this usual? Also my buddie was riding an rstd and his didn't start first time many times either. Any comments on this.

Bob http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/5/5_2_110.gif

http://www.smileycentral.com/sig.jsp?pc=ZSzeb114&pp=ZNxmk393BBUS

First thing I would check would be the voltage in the battery, should be 12.5 or at least 12. Then check the voltage when you a turning it over and see the amount of drop, not sure on the number here but less than 10 would be a problem. That would indicate a heavy draw from the starter and not leave enough to fire the plugs. Loose battery connections may be the culprit or even not enough voltage coming from the stator. If you have a lot of extra electrical running you may not be getting enough charge and so your battery will not be fully charged when you shut it down.

Was this when the bike was cold or hot. If it was cold, were you using the choke?

I always use my choke when the bike is "cold" just to start it then almost immediately push it in and give it a little throttle.

Once its warm starts first time.

While stopping now and then on the trip the bike was warm and I hold the button in until it fires but it stalls then usually starts the 2nd time. My other bike isn't fuel injected but it's a Kawasaki :)

Are you giving it time for the fuel pump to fill the bowls. That clicking sound when you turn the key on and put the shutoff switch to on is filling the carb bowls. When it stops go ahead and start it. Don't touch the throttle till it starts.

During my 5 day trip I noticed my rstd doesn't always start with the first push of the starter button. Very seldom does it start on the first try. My Vulcan starts always with the first try. Is this usual? Also my buddie was riding an rstd and his didn't start first time many times either. Any comments on this.

Ever tried Seafoam in it?

I don't think you have a problem. Mine starts cold, first time, every time and without pulling the choke. In fact I never ever pull the choke.

When it's hot it hardly ever starts on the first hit but always starts on the second. Been like that since it was new.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.