IGNORED

New Florida bike laws? sportbikers are crying

Guest Vermincelli

Ok , heres my 2 cents and i live down here , i like the new laws ! i am a member of ABATE and we do not have a problem with it [ we're the nuts that got rid of the helmet law ] the new laws were made to address a bad problem we have in fl. manly sport bike , they are not just killing them selfs but they were starting to hurt other people too . the new laws works , we are having less sport bike wrecks ! the high speed laws are the same for cars but 2 separate laws were made because all the news channels picked up on the mcs. and all the mc riders got the word . if you think the new mc laws are bad , you should check out the street racing laws , if you get cought watching a street race , 250.00 och !! and that law is just for cages .

by the way the new law started july 1 not oct. 1 and so far nobody has had to pay the new fine .

Thom

kind of sounds like your not sure what side your on. if the law does'nt benefit you it stinks. if the law has no effect on you you don't care. well i ride a sport bike and i think the law stinks. and anyone who has something against a sportbike has some kind of a hang up. sounds to me like if i don't ride what everyone thinks i ought to ride i have no rights, just cuz there is a few out there that make it bad for me. i see alot of cruiser, touring and harley riders that aren't worth 2 hoots in hell ,but i'm not for passing anti bike laws on those particular bikes. guess i'm going to go take be perfect lessons. nuff said for i lose my temper, and really say what i think. snarley bill

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

kind of sounds like your not sure what side your on. if the law does'nt benefit you it stinks. if the law has no effect on you you don't care. well i ride a sport bike and i think the law stinks. and anyone who has something against a sportbike has some kind of a hang up. sounds to me like if i don't ride what everyone thinks i ought to ride i have no rights, just cuz there is a few out there that make it bad for me. i see alot of cruiser, touring and harley riders that aren't worth 2 hoots in hell ,but i'm not for passing anti bike laws on those particular bikes. guess i'm going to go take be perfect lessons. nuff said for i lose my temper, and really say what i think. snarley bill

The law did not specifically say "sportbikes" , it includes ALL 2 wheel motor vehicles. believe you are getting bound up a little on the words. I'm neither for nor against this law because I do obey speed laws, as much as the next guy, and i do keep my wheels in firm contact with the pavement, when possible. And as already reported the wrecks and such are already declining so maybe it is a little over the top but it does show some merit.

This reminds me of the time back in 85 when the IIHS was trying to get laws passed to ban sport bikes in the US. And a sport bike was what they defined it as. It could have been a Ninja 250 because it had full body work. ( THis is no lie go back and check AMA records of their efforts at the time.) It could have been a Honda Sabre because of its horsepower rating. Over night my insurance company cancelled my policy and notified me that because i rode a sport bike I could now open a new policy at twice the rate. I told them to stuff it up their a** and went to a new company. They got the message when other riders started dropping their company and not going back .

I agree with Bill that when we start letting the Other guys take it in the neck and not stick behind them we all lose. Personally I think anyone that doesn't where a helmet doesn't think too much about him or herself and their own families. Brain injury is life changing , FOREVER but I still feel its ever riders right to decide for themselves. Don't even get me started on that Loud pipes saves lives myth!

ABATE of all organization should be outraged by these laws, if it isn't then maybe it needs more sport bike members and fewer cruiser guys in its ranks. I ride sport and touring bikes and love them both. I also respect the power of those machines and others on the road. I know for a fact many a memeber here has bragged about taking their bikes over the ton and then some. These new laws will apply to us as well. I'm not condeming the laws but these will now have to be fought in the court to refine and define them . A costly business for all of us one way or the other.

Personally I think the wheel looses contact with the ground is a crap law, just because a wheel comes up a couple inches during acceleration does not mean the person is speeding, is out of control, or is stunting. My old shaft drive Yamaha 750 from the early 80s would lift the front on a quick shift sometimes.

Stunting on public roads should be dealt with, but this is over board.

The 50 over is for all vehicles, but one of the penalties is to lose your motorcycle license for up to ten years. So if you go 50 over in a sports car and get caught you lose your motorcycle license but not you car license. More BS.

License plates, I don't know why everyone insists on moving them anyway, including cruisers that insist on bobbing their fenders. But thousands of dollars for improperly mounted plates, I see cars with plates in the back window all the time, and occasionaly with a piece of cardboard that says "plates applied for" in crayon. What is the fine for that.

As far as laws making this (or any country) a civilized country, that is a stretch. People become civilized then decide to make laws, not the other way around. Making more laws does not make us more civilized.

And the whole illusion that these laws are to protect us is total BS.

Semi-trucks and motorcycles have about the same number of fatalities each year. 90% of the motorcycle fatalities are the motorcycle operators. Only 10% of the truck fatalities are the operators. Florida has one of the worst semi-truck fatality rates of any state, yet they do nothing to protect us from trucks. Rarely do trucks get stopped for anything around here.

And, including the .75 sec for reaction time, a modern sport motorcycle at 140mph can stop in about 450ft, a loaded semi-truck takes over 500ft at 70mph. and they constantly run 85 and 90 down I95. I've seen LEOs pass trucks doing 80 and not even signal them to slow down.

And, including the .75 sec for reaction time, a modern sport motorcycle at 140mph can stop in about 450ft, a loaded semi-truck takes over 500ft at 70mph. .

Which is something that some cagers and bikers need too remember when they decide to pull in front of a loaded semi and do something stupid like making a last second turn or stop or whatever. That truck will not be able to stop in time. Its a lack of respect for the size of the vehicle. They dont seem to realize just how much stopping distance a truck needs. Same as those fools that try to cross a R/R crossing and think the train can stop in time.....we all know that outcome. Most motorists who have never driven a semi should go out with a professional driver one day and see all of the foolish stuff that cagers and the occasional biker do. Its a wonder more arent killed. We do have our share of bad truckers out there too, but remember, once they park that big rig and climb into there car or bike..do they become bad motorists as well???

Last big truck accident happened to me in 1987 because some motorist decided to sneak up on my blind side and cut across the front of me in the Bronx during rush hour....guess who drove off after I was forced into a jacknife to avoid killing the moron??

OK, so now that they have these ridiculous fines, how many bikes are going to run instead of pulling over when they get lit up from behind.

These new laws are stupid and illegal. Do cagers have to pay the same fines if their license plate is mounted sideways? Do cagers have to pay a fine that great when they run somebody over because they were worried about their phone/makeup/that little rat in bag they call a dog/kids/DVD player?

There are already laws on the books against wheelies, speeding and improperly mounted license plates and they were the same for cagers and bikes, but instead of enforcing those, we'll put more laws on the books that unfairly target motorcycles.

Most of the squids out there riding like that don't have insurance or a license so revoking their license isn't going to bother them, but the 1000 dollar 1st offense fine is going to make them run.

Bunch of old fogeys.

I say target away. It's about time they get hit where it hurts... the pocket book...and their freedom if it comes to that. Maybe they'll think twice before they start putting other's lives in danger. It happened on our VR group ride last Saturday down Hwy1 north of Cambria in some twisties. A super bike rider almost clipped my front tire passing me on a blind curve over the double yellow. He almost got the bike in front of me as well, trying to pass first on the left, and then taking the outside apron to pass him as well as the two cars in front of him. On a curve. That BS has got to stop, and as far as I'm concerned he threatened my life. 85 in a 35mph zone, wheelies, no insurance, no registration, are all BS. I'd throw their a$$ in jail on the first offence. Call me an old fogey if you want, but if I'd had a gun I'da shot the SOB....

Edited by Condor

This reminds me of the time back in 85 when the IIHS was trying to get laws passed to ban sport bikes in the US. And a sport bike was what they defined it as. It could have been a Ninja 250 because it had full body work. ( THis is no lie go back and check AMA records of their efforts at the time.) It could have been a Honda Sabre because of its horsepower rating. Over night my insurance company cancelled my policy and notified me that because i rode a sport bike I could now open a new policy at twice the rate. I told them to stuff it up their a** and went to a new company. They got the message when other riders started dropping their company and not going back .

I agree with Bill that when we start letting the Other guys take it in the neck and not stick behind them we all lose. Personally I think anyone that doesn't where a helmet doesn't think too much about him or herself and their own families. Brain injury is life changing , FOREVER but I still feel its ever riders right to decide for themselves. Don't even get me started on that Loud pipes saves lives myth!

ABATE of all organization should be outraged by these laws, if it isn't then maybe it needs more sport bike members and fewer cruiser guys in its ranks. I ride sport and touring bikes and love them both. I also respect the power of those machines and others on the road. I know for a fact many a memeber here has bragged about taking their bikes over the ton and then some. These new laws will apply to us as well. I'm not condeming the laws but these will now have to be fought in the court to refine and define them . A costly business for all of us one way or the other.

your alright. glad to see there are a few that try not to be hippocritical. this is one of my pet peeves. always putting the blame on some one else and not being to take responsibility for your own actions. i know when i push a bike to the limit, i am breaking the law and if caught i have no bi#$*.

i am no better than than the kids that do stupid stuff on sport bike. i'm breaking the law and doing something really stupid. i have ridden with alot of the people on this site and have broke many laws at many meets along with them. stupid yes, fun yes, but i have the balls to admit it. my take is before you point fingers look in your own files. i do. thats why i never point fingers. sure these kids are stupid, you know who i blame? there parents, for not teaching them right from wrong. i think i grew up to be a pretty good and fair thinking person cuz my parents made sure i new the difference between right and wrong, and if i get caught doing wrong i'm ready to pay the piper. bill :2133:

The law did not specifically say "sportbikes" , it includes ALL 2 wheel motor vehicles. believe you are getting bound up a little on the words. I'm neither for nor against this law because I do obey speed laws, as much as the next guy, and i do keep my wheels in firm contact with the pavement, when possible. And as already reported the wrecks and such are already declining so maybe it is a little over the top but it does show some merit.
i know what the law says. the people on here are the ones that p.o. me. always putting down sport bikes and all sport bike riders. because of a handful that have no sense. theres a handful that ride all kinds of bikes that have no sense. there always has been a law against wheelies and taking corners to fast in all states and i am for them 100%. it's called careless and impudent driving. maybe if the cops would do a little more inforcing of those laws. and get out of the parking lots talking to each other, and dunkin donuts i would feel a little safer on my bike. i would'nt feel so threatened when i ride my bike. there are alot of good cops out there that do a great job. but there are also a lot of derelects. i see it all the time. and i'm a little tired of it. why can't i ever go on a nice ride without worrying about some idiot running over me. getting a little tired of having to put up with ignorance. i cherish the day i can go for a worry free ride. been riding for 50 ultra dangerous years and i'm fed up with it. snarley bill

Guest Vermincelli

Here is the thing that most don't realize.

The antics of wreckless riders, (and let's be blunt, the sportbike riders who are the smallest percentage of riders make up the largest percentage of injuries, accidents and deaths) effect ALL motorcyclists.

When the politicians start pushing for more and more restrictions on bikes and even bring up outright bans, it's the sportbikers that are their "reason for doing so".

I used to ride sportbikes and used to race both motocross and roadracing, but I kept the stupid crap on the tracks and not on the roads. It's simple to do.

So if kids can't control their wreckless riding, then it's time to nail them and nail them very hard to smack sense into them and not effect the majority of responsible riders out there.

i respect your opinion, and i seldom ever or should i say almost never break the law in my car. i very seldom break the law on my bikes. i am human and get the urge now and then, for a little excitment. anyone who says they never break the law, is either full of crap or one of the very few human beings that is perfect. seems like there must be a whole bunch of them around i don't know about. maybe there hiding somewhere. it's all about tunnel vision and looking in a mirror. by the way i have a tremendous amount of respect for the police. every time i drive my truck or ride my bike i wish i was one. i would reach my monthly qouta everyday of the week. bill :clap2::2133:

Bill,

I appreciate your response though I've never considered myself perfect as I have too many flaws. None of us are perfect; only the Lord, but we should strive to be what He would want us to be. But I have also always felt that as a police officer, I lived in a glass house. How can I expect to enforce the law on others and break it myself and still look myself in the mirror with any semblence of respect. I always felt that we (LEO's) should, at the least, be the ones to set an example. Now I'll get off my soapbox.

Describe a an "improperly mounted license plate." So many inches off the ground? Lighted? Visible?

Some sport bike guys like to move them up under the frame and seat...still lighted but difficult to see. Improperly mounted?

Some sport bike guys simply move them up under the tail-light to clean up the appearance of the rear of the bike...still lighted, very visible, and unless you knew otherwise looks OEM, but it's been moved. Exactly what I did on first Concours and on FZ1. Improperly mounted?

Some cruiser style riders like to go to "lay down" plates on the fender...still lighted but difficult to see. Improperly mounted?

Some cruiser style riders like to go to license plate frames mounted on the side (in fact, many cruisers are coming this way now to keep the rear fender clean)....still lighted and visiable. Improperly mounted?

Sounds all a little subjective ... how many times will this end up in court, wasting taxpayer's dollars, and get thrown out?

And for the LEOs in attendance...do you ALWAYS drive 55 when the sign says 55? 65 when the sign says 65? 70 when the sign says 70? You've never ever passed on a double-yellow when driving/riding your POV? You've never rolled a stop sign?

Curt

Well, I'll throw in my $0.02 worth. First, though I am now a Canadian resident I am an American citizen as well, spent my first 49 years in the states. I have lived in Florida, Georgia, California, Aridzona :-), Pennsylvania, Massachusetts, and was born/raised in Missouri.

I ride a customized 2006 Tour Deluxe with BUB sleepers, and also have a 170ish HP KZ1000J2 (1170) in the garage. I have owned a KZ1300 with a 1430 Turbo kit that would do a power wheelie at 125 MPH, a ZX11, a stepped-on VMax, a CBX and a stepped-on FXR over the years. I have been guilty of all of the subject infractions except for stoppies and improperly mounted license, though it has been quite a few years since I pulled the front wheel up on purpose.

I promote LOUD PIPES SAVE LIVES because I have seen the difference with my own eyes, but I detest wide open straight pipes because they are annoying and threaten our rights. Similarly, I detest the squidly types that pull all of these antics in neighborhoods / heavy traffic, because they are dangerous to everyone and they threaten our rights.

As long as we have the V-twin types running pure straight pipes and the squidly types cutting up big time, we leave the door open for politicians to make points with everyday cage-driver by "finally doing something about it". Let's face it, both of those crowds cause a lot of irritation to a lot of people. There are a lot more everyday cage-drivers at the polls than there are motorcyclists. Politicians tend to notice such things.

In this case, the squidly types have pushed it far enough that action was taken. Regardless of how we each feel about it, this threatens us all. What's next?

Is there an answer? I dunno. Try to talk to a hard-core V-twin rider with straight pipes or a hard-core squid sometime....it's somewhere between a waste of time and a danger to someone's health.:Avatars_Gee_George:

The best chance we have is for organizations like the AMA and ABATE to step up in Tallahassee ASAP (with a lot of support) to challenge the legality of targetting a minority with discriminatory laws. If this trend continues and any politicians feel that elections could be had this way, we will see much more of it and will hearken back to the days when they tried to make "sport-bikes" totally illegal. We succeeded in the 80s by showing a unified voting block of some significance with a well-sponsored lobby.

If a responsible group such as the AMA or ABATE will mount a campaign against this, I'll send a check. Any better ideas? :confused07:

Which is something that some cagers and bikers need too remember when they decide to pull in front of a loaded semi and do something stupid like making a last second turn or stop or whatever. That truck will not be able to stop in time. Its a lack of respect for the size of the vehicle. They dont seem to realize just how much stopping distance a truck needs. Same as those fools that try to cross a R/R crossing and think the train can stop in time.....we all know that outcome. Most motorists who have never driven a semi should go out with a professional driver one day and see all of the foolish stuff that cagers and the occasional biker do. Its a wonder more arent killed. We do have our share of bad truckers out there too, but remember, once they park that big rig and climb into there car or bike..do they become bad motorists as well???

Last big truck accident happened to me in 1987 because some motorist decided to sneak up on my blind side and cut across the front of me in the Bronx during rush hour....guess who drove off after I was forced into a jacknife to avoid killing the moron??

There are a lot of truck drivers out there now days I doubt would have been able to stop. And some that wouldn't have tried. The professionalism in truck driving does not seem to me to be what is once was. But that being here nor there, with something as big as potentially as dangerous as a trucks I think the laws should be more closely enforced. But then, I think if they had done that previously with existing laws on the stunting motorcyclists no one would have bothered suggesting these new laws.

And as far as not knowing enough about the vehicles around them on the road, I agree. I've never ridden in a tractor with a trailer attached, but I have been in trucks and have driven large dump trucks and garbage trucks so know what you mean. I would Venture to say about 50% of all drivers on the road really shouldn't have a driver's license at all. I still can't believe the state of Florida lets my daughter drive. You couldn't pay me enough to get back in a car with her driving.

Another thing that shows just how dumb drivers are is ride in a train engine through a big city.

Seen both cars and semis try to beat the trains. We had a video up in the Detroit CSX Safety office with a train taking the trailer right off a tractor. The train was only an engine and one car and was only doing 20mph, I guess the truck driver thought he could stop?

Guest maddabber

In Ontario a while back they brought in a new racing law. If you are caught 50 over the posted speed limit you lose the your mode of transportation for 1 week,a heavy fine and licence suspension. There have been people caught in rental cars and they have had to pay for that car for a week while in police compound. Some kid was driving his Dad's car and was 50 over. His Dad is a salesman and needs the car. Everyone knows this law and they are still catching many.

However this law is for everything not just bikes.

Darrell

Sure would be nice if all 50 states passed a law like this. The squids that do this stuff just endanger everyone and make all the rest of us motorcyclists become scum in the eyes of the non-riding majority. Anything that can lock them away for a long time will get my vote! There is absolutely NO excuse for pulling a wheelie on public roads. If you can't shoot at 'em, lock 'em up.

Goose

i've got an excuse for pulling a wheely. i have 200+ horsepower and i love every inch the front wheel will come off the ground. of course i'm not perfect. snarley bill

Makes me wish I was still in active service. I'd impound both you and your 200+ horses. For a rider with 50 yrs under his belt (reference a past post for that), sounds like you haven't mellowed (matured, grown up???) No wonder you're so snarly. Maybe it's all a front and you're really a timid wallflower type when you're off the keyboard.:confused07::scratchchin:

Then again, maybe you're a nice guy but just don't want us to know it.

Similarly, I detest the squidly types that pull all of these antics in neighborhoods /

As long as we have the V-twin types running pure straight pipes and the squidly types cutting up big time, we leave the door open for politicians to make points

In this case, the squidly types have pushed it far enough that action was taken.

:confused07:

Squidly, see what you have caused.:rasberry:lol

Who, in their right mind, would want to do a wheelie at 100 mph... I've done my share when I was youger, but never at high speeds. There are to many factors that could get yo killed...:confused::confused::confused:

I agree with you - first, I didn't mean to - found out when I left it open too long in 4th...:yikes: and after I cleaned my drawers out it never ever happened again....:shock3:

and second, I was 20 years younger. None of the events I relate were ever done within sight of anyone nor would they have endangered anyone but me! I am 90% law-abiding now at 57 years young and the other 10% is like 80 in a 75...... :fingers-crossed-emo

Sure would be nice if all 50 states passed a law like this. The squids that do this stuff just endanger everyone and make all the rest of us motorcyclists become scum in the eyes of the non-riding majority. Anything that can lock them away for a long time will get my vote! There is absolutely NO excuse for pulling a wheelie on public roads. If you can't shoot at 'em, lock 'em up.

Goose

So let me get this straight... some kid on his 750 Gixxer poppin a wheelie is somehow making you on your Geezer Glide look like a scumbag to the cagers... You gotta be kiddin right???

There are already laws against this kinda stuff... Increasing the fines and penalties to an outrageous level is going to get more bikers killed in more high speed chases..

FLA made a good move in requiring new riders to take a Motorcycle Saftey Course... But this BS is one step forward , two steps back

First they came for the Jews, but I did nothing because I'm not a Jew. Then they came for the socialists, but I did nothing because I'm not a socialist. Then they came for the Catholics, but I did nothing because I'm not a Catholic. Finally, they came for me, but by then there was no one left to help me. – Pastor Father Niemoller (1946)

First they came for the Jews, but I did nothing because I'm not a Jew. Then they came for the socialists, but I did nothing because I'm not a socialist. Then they came for the Catholics, but I did nothing because I'm not a Catholic. Finally, they came for me, but by then there was no one left to help me. – Pastor Father Niemoller (1946)

That's what I'm talkin' about!:thumbsup: