IGNORED

Question about front wheel bearing 83 venture

I noticed on the way home from work today that when I take a sharp turn at speed (to avoid something in the road) I get a slight rumble from the front wheel.

Is that the front wheel bearing going bad? If so how difficult is it for a shadetree mechanic to fix it himself? I dont have a press but have access to one.

does nayone have a procedure for removal of the front tire and service/replacement of the front bearing?

Sounds like bearings.

Remove wheel, and Use a long Drift to Tap them out. Not hard to do.

Installation is easy, Use a Socket to tap the new ones back in.

Or take wheel and new bearings to most any bike shop, 15 min job.

Sombody had a Standard Bearing replacement number, but I don't have the Reference. Should be able to order at any auto parts store.

Sombody should pop up with the Bearing Ref: number

Edited by GeorgeS

What GeorgeS says! Harder to take old one out than install new ones. Common sense tells you how it has to go together. Just pay attention as to how the speedo gear goes, and when reinstalling wheel how the hub of the speedo gear goes.

Try Rick at Buckeye Performance and mention Venturerider for a nice discount...

and don't forget to insert the Spacer Collar before installing the second Bearing.

Don push them too deep into their Seats. The Spacer should have contact with both inner Races that's all it takes. If you press the outer Race deeper than that the Balls will be damaged and the Bearings will lock up.

Another easy way to remove the old bearings and not hurt the wheel is to find a bolt just a hair smaller than the bearing hole itself and use a hacksaw and cut down the center of the bolt (threaded side) about half way or more,then insert the bolt in the bearing itself no further in is needed or you may damage the collar assembly. Insert a straight screwdriver from the other side of the wheel and insert the screwdriver in the cut you made on the bolt and hammer way. As you hammer the screwdriver, it forces the threads out and catches the old bearing and pulls it right out of the hub with no damage to the wheel area. make sure you watch as for how the wheel comes apart as for collar and speedo gear assembly. Cannot remember the size of the bearing right now but any auto parts store can match them up for you....

buddy

The bearing is a good guess at the problem, and I agree with all the post here. Just dont forget to look at you TIRES also, if they are starting to cup and you lean it dramatically, it will make the bike vibrate. Just something to be aware of

:thumbsup2:

Thanks everyone for the tips... I'm going to start searching to see if anyone has the numbers for the bearings so I can get them at autozone or NAPA, the local Yamaha dealer wants $35.00 each for them and $200 to do the job, they claim it's a 2 hour job.

As for tire cupping, is it a hard thing to see? my tires look pretty new.

The Timkin number is 303SS. Others use 6303S. The S is for Stainless Steel, or sealed..not sure which??. It's a common bearing and used in a lot of Alternators. I'm lucky, my Son-in-law manages an autoparts wholesale business so I picked up mine for $20.52.ea. Shop around on the internet and you should be able to come close to that price. Maybe even beat it??

Mine started squeeking when I lean into a curve. Bearings are probably dry and might just need lubing, but I figured replacing them would be prudent... They're probably OEM from the factory with 50K on them.