IGNORED

Need Help bike wont start

Howie257

I was recently given a 2000 Venture by a friend. He got it from a relative not working.Hooked up jumper cables and nothing. He put in a new battery and got nothing.Checked the fuses all good. The story goes the bike died after somebody hooked up cables for a jump backwards. At this point he gave it to me. I intend to double check what he did but would like some advice on what to check next.Thank You in advance for any help.

Well, the bad news.....it absolutely cannot be fixed. You just need to GIVE IT TO ME!!!:rotf::rotf:

Wow, a 2000 RSV for free??? What a deal!

I'm not sure of what the problem would be, but my guess is it won't take a lot of $$ to fix it. Sure wish I'd run into deals like this!

One quick thought.....have you checked the main fuse as well as the ones in the fuse box?

Good luck!

Me and him always give each other the bikes we dont want or get in deals. Between the 2 of us we have around 300 bikes. The problem is we ride and break only no fixing skills beyond the basic maintence level. I know nothing about ventures but would really like to get it running .I am still looking up the locations of the fuses to check for myself but i trust he is correct and they are good.

Do you have battery still? I mean, if you hook up a voltmeter, what do you read?

Check what do you read with a voltmeter on your fuse box?

Go forward one by one. Probably you blow a general fuse, like to ones on the first gen has. I have no experience with the second ones, but I already lived this on the first ones.

Regards,:080402gudl_prv:

This may sound stupid, but I've seen it happen, have you switched the run switch on and off a few times? I pulled over on the side of the road to help a guy last week and he just couldn't understand what happened and I reached up and flipped the run switch off and on and it fired right up. It looked like it was on, but he must have just hit it enough.

howie. even though i am a die -hard first gen , kinda guy, if you can't find out what your problem is, i'd be more than happy to come up to PA. and take the 2000 off your hands.

course i wouldn't give you more than you paid for it

!lol

on a different note, i know that a 1st gen WILL NOT start if the battery is below 12 volts. it will spin, but won't start. may be , that the 2nd gens, need a full charge just to make the switches work.i don't know. i would bet my money, on a blown main fuse, though.or maybe a faulty battery terminal connection.

just jt

I think He'd still get dash lights in that case Hipshot.

Sounds to me like you popped some electrical component. Probably not a big deal once you find it. Finding it will be the bear! If you can get to some parts like rectifier etc. give 'em a sniff. If they smell like burnt electronics (you know like when you get a new radio or something and it smells for a bit while breaking in), good chance that's your suspect. A lot of these are sealed to the point this won't work though. Look for melted or blackened wires too.

Hey - If you give up I'll give you a few hundred more than you have in it! :D

Good luck bud! Let us know how you progress - maybe we can help once you narrow it down. There are a few folks here that are really good with the electrical stuff, give 'em some time they may be able to help too.

I just got back home guys and thanks for all the responces. First thing in the morning i will double check the fuses myself and let you know what i find.I really need to ride less and learn about fixing more.

I was recently given a 2000 Venture by a friend. He got it from a relative not working.Hooked up jumper cables and nothing. He put in a new battery and got nothing.Checked the fuses all good. The story goes the bike died after somebody hooked up cables for a jump backwards. At this point he gave it to me. I intend to double check what he did but would like some advice on what to check next.Thank You in advance for any help.

beach....beach...beach.....!

the guy GAVE it to you didnt he? you ungrateful _ _ _! never mind.......

now if you have something against GIVING.....you can look the other way, and i will TAKE it.:whistling:

no its NOT a typo. just a way of getting around it.......sorry don, i hope you dont mind.:)

Had the same problem last week and discovered the solution. Here's what you need to do.

Take off the rear wheel, remove the seat and gas tank, loosen the engine so you move it side ways a little, remove front wheel, forks and steering gear. Not sure how to proceed from this point, but seeing as it's now in easy shippable pieces, you may ship all the parts to my place. I'll make some time to get it all back together and running real pretty. I'll polish it up and give it a good test run before I'll call you to say that it's ready for pickup.

Found the main fuse hidden under the battery tray and attached to it.Finally got at it and that was the problem. Who thought to hide it there i wanna talk with him. The bike will run now but needs a battery.Still has some other problems but will ask about them after i get the battery.Thanks for all the help.

:322: