IGNORED

Valve Stem Question?

I am having the tires replaced this week and want to install a 90 degress stem on the front. Where can I get one and what size will I need?

Bug

Jim,

When you find out where to get one pick-up 2. I'll pay you back. craig (aka Leo) has one on his bike so I'll ask him to see if he knows.

I can understand putting a rt.angle on the rear, but for the life of me can't understand why anyone would put one on the front when it's so easy to get to??? BTW if you do, make sure the installer does it right. Ask Lone Eagle about that one.....

I have mine turned to the left side and it works fine. I didn't even think to tell the dealer which way I wanted it and he put it to the left.

Straight on the front though.

Oh and there is lots of places to buy the stem that don't cost an arm and a leg.

Most places that deal with tires.

Jerry

I got my new tires earlier this year from Cycle Gear - and had them install a right angle on the front tire. The base of that stem was rubber. On the way to VWIV last week, that stem gave out - it had developed a crack at the base. It wasn't fun trying to control the bike and get it pulled over - when we found the problem - we thought we "temporarily" fixed it - we did for about 2 miles - and it gave out again - that time it was much harder to control to get off the road.

Talking with a mechanic at Hell Bent Choppers - in San Juan Batista - great guys who got me back on the road very quickly (and they didn't care that the bike was metric vs. American or one of their awesome chopper creations) - he mentioned that often that front 90 degree will just barely touch the rotor - and as such, could develop that failure at the base. I will NEVER again put a 90 degree on that front - they had a vertical stem and that is what I am staying with. I actually called Yamaha to order what I thought would be a stock metal vertical stem, but the parts guy told me the rubber vertical is what came stock on those rims for my 05 RSTD.