IGNORED

How 'bout cha......cb question

igya

I'm wondering if these '85 Venture CBs will like typical "truck stop" CB antennas as long as the SWR meters out. Also, can't a splitter be used to incorporate the stereo with that one antenna? AND aren't TOP LOAD antennas better than BOTTOM LOAD for bikes?

I can't see where the location of the load is of any concern other than it isn't good to have more weight up top, so they are usually at the bottom of the antenna, unless very small.

my 86 has the single antenna, and it works well. Any antenna will work if you set the SWR.

The longer the antenna the better though. Just that sometimes it isn't practical to have a 102" whip on your bike!

Guest tx2sturgis

Actually, the location of the loading coil has some RF effects, but on a bike, the physical effects are more important.

For weight and wind loading, its probably best to have a center loading coil, like the stock antenna, or continuous load, like a shakespeare or firestik antenna.

Wizard765 and I both have a bottom load attenna and they work just fine. We also use a 3' one because of the low overhead going in and out of the garage. Wizard uses the splitter and I have 2 attennas. I like the look of 2 virsas one. Do your thing, as said before, just make sure the swr is matched and you'll be happy. Distance may be an issue, but in most cases it won't matter much as you'll probably only be communicating with fellow riders.

Guest tx2sturgis

I probably should have included this: Base loaded antennas tend to be more 'picky' about the ground plane they are used with, and on a bike, you dont have much of a ground plane. So yes, you can use whatever you want, as long as it tunes up nicely on an SWR meter or antenna analyzer.

Center, continuous, and top loaded antennas, are more forgiving of a less than ideal ground plane, which is more accurately called the counterpoise.

Everything being equal, base loaded antennas usually hear better than they transmit, top loaded antennas transmit better than they hear, and center loaded and continuous loaded antennas are usually about the same transmitting and receiving. The differences are very slight, and you wont be able to measure it without some good lab quality equipment, so...

Just slap a coat hanger on that sucker and RIDE!

:missingtooth:

I used a 3' firestick with a stock splitter for most of the season and it worked very well. I broke it with my garage door so now have a steel base loaded unit and it also works very well. I cannot tell the difference. Sierra has splitters if you can't get a stock one. The important part is getting it tuned to your CB. Anything will work for the AM/FM

Wayne

Guest tx2sturgis

I'm sure Francis whips would work fine, but after a year or so, the UV and the physical flexing of the antenna begins to de-laminate the fiberglass and I'd be a bit worried having shredding fiberglass splinters in close proximity to my leathers as I load and unload the trunk.

But hey, some people LIKE acupuncture!

My '85 didn't have the CB. I used that space for an amplifier to boost output to the Polk speakers. I don't really know if the splitter is built into the AM/FM, the CB, or was separate. I've been told that the one I mentioned is a good replacement for the one in the first gen, if the original has problems, or perhaps isn't even there. :confused24: