IGNORED

Headlight lamp replacement.....

Honestly, it went very well. Low angle of attack seems to be the key. Tried a few times previously from both sides, and gave up.

Ridin' from Santa Monica CA to DC with a few friends for Memorial Day. My wife's uncle was KIA in Korea. I'm carrying his Purple Heart to the Memorials.

6,500 miles round-trip, returning to SoCal through Milwaukee, Deadwood, Yellowstone, Jackson Hole, Mesquite, and Lake Havasu City.

Needed the brighter light, and my hand survived unharmed.

If you see a red 2nd Gen Venture, chirpin' like a bird, throw me a low-sign.

Thanks for the jab!

Jeff:rotf:

I leave for DC on Monday via Charlotte and Winston-Salem for a few days, then on up through Pilot Mountain (Andy Griffith country!) into southern VA and on up I-81 for a spell before we jump on to the top end of the Blueridge Parkway for the rest of the trip. I'll look for your red RSV among the 600,000 other bikes there. Among the H-D's, you should be easy to spot! LOL!!!!

Have a great trip.

• 3 years later...
Thanks to all on this thread for the information on replacing my 2nd Gen headlight bulb.

As described above, I:

1. Turned Fairing all the way to the right.

2. Got a bunch of light on the area from above.

3. Sat on the floor, feet pointing in the direction of travel.

4. Pulled big 4'' rubber cover off. (Has a tab marked "Top" at the top.)

5. Pushed IN and UP on right side of retainer spring. (I had to adjust the drop light lower to see the retainer spring, which crosses the bulb at about 10 o'clock to 2 o'clock.)

6. Since the socket came off when I removed the 4'' rubber cover, I simply pulled the old bulb out, and as mentioned above, no turning or rotation required.

7. Put it back together in reverse order. :cool10:

Total elapse time........8-minutes.

I have GIANT hands. Only met one man in my 55-years with bigger hands, and he was 6ft 7in.

Again, many thanks to the contributors above! So glad I joined the Forum!

This worked for me and my hands are on the larger size. Many Thanks!:)

• 9 months later...

Did it, it wasn't fun, mainly because on mine the bulb retaining wire kept twisting/slipping out of position in the metal loop that holds it making it very difficult to put back. My hands are on the smaller side. a very long needle nose pliers I have was helpful. Still looking for the splitting the fairing how to.

The odd thing is that even with the fairing split and the headlight frame bolts removed the bulb still isn't that easy to get at, the adjuster screw keeps you from getting it all the way out. I got pretty good after doing 4 bulb swaps trying different watts and an HID bulb. for now the 100 80 lives in it. Will swap out the slightly tinted windshield for a clear one tomorrow.

for now the 100 80 lives in it.

I ran one of those for a few weeks. Then the more I read about the wire size for the headlight I got worried I was over taxing it. They are pretty measly wires for a headlight. So I went HID after that. I really liked the Sylvania 100/80 I had in there. I found it less fuss to just change the bulb from the back and not split the fairing. Didnt seem to give me any extra room really to change it.