IGNORED

Cassette deck door won't stay closed

Kidh2

Mine did that and it ended up being broken. Dealer replaced the whole unit, cause you can't just replace the door, under warranty. Until the part came in I wedged a nickel in between the side of the door and the frame. It worked pretty well. Never came open. I would have probably left it that way if the dealer wouldn't have been willing to replace it.

• 1 year later...
The door on the cassette deck popped open and now won't stay closed. Short of using duct tape to keep it closed, can anyone tell me how it latches and what I can check?

Don't use duct tape when it dries out you won't be able to get the glue off. Worse yet is dried on masking tape. On cars it cam off with steel wool and lacquer thinner. Just a heads up.

Steve

Funny thing. My door wont open. Its stuck closed. I dont have casettes and dont have MP-3 player yet, so closed it will stay until I get an MP-3. However the thread is good to know about. Write on Bruddha's.

Mine wouldn't open, at first, and I just kept pushing it all over until it finally came open. Then I noticed that the screws that held the faceplate onto the frame were loose. Tightened them up and everything was good after that. Might push the face plate up and down to see if that facilitates the door coming open.

Don't know if the screws are the problem on the ones that won't shut but it's worth a look see.

I had another cassette lid problem. As I recall, my 88VR spring loaded hinge mechanism (that pops out the cassettes) is attached to the CD cover by way of friction fit over four small plastic lugs on the cover. Two or three of these plastic lugs broke off the cover and as a result, I could not open or close the cover properly. I tried gluing the lugs back in place, with some success.