IGNORED

Anyone else hate their city?

86Royale

Okay, so I don't expect much, but I do expect that the city live up to their obligations, especially if they want me to. So, I go in to the city office in June and request that they trim their trees in front of my yard. I went in twice more throughout the summer, both times told I was on the list, and that it was in the works. So last week the trucks show up and they're trimming. Well, I wait a couple days, no truck in front of my house, I call today and am told they are done and I'll have to wait until next year, and that I have weeds in my yard and that they have to be taken care of or they'll fine me.

So, here I am, being blown off, but in the same breath being told what I need to do. Consequently, I get pissed, raise my voice (not yelling, but not happy either) and go off on the first woman, and get transferred to another woman. (sorry gals, but I HATE dealing with women in these positions) She then proceeds to tell me that they ran out of money (after they put up an $850,000 community center this summer for a town of 600 people) and they had to prioritize, so they took the dead ones, and other people chipped in to get theirs taken down. I reiterated that they were not MY trees, they were on city property and the one tree in specific has a dead branch that has been threatening to come down on vehicles parked under/near the tree, and that if they were needing money chipped in, I was never informed and was not about to take care of my weeds until the city did their job. I then told them to just try to get a check for any fines out of me. So next, I was told that it wasn't courteous to raise my voice, to which I quickly responded that I'm not a nice guy, and to not expect it, especially if they were going to defend not doing their jobs.

Oh, then on top of that, she tells me that a good citizen would go out and do it themselves to beautify the town. WHAT THE F*** am I paying taxes for!?

Oh, I'm still steamed about it. Damn bastards, think they're so high and mighty because they sit in that office all day making decisions for other people, just ticks me off.:soapbox:

Okay, I"m done.

I don't have a city. I don't have a town. I don't have a community. I'm stranded out in the country on 4 acre's with just my family so I cut my own trees. Closest neighbor not family is 1/4 mile away.My camp just down the road is the only house in the community limits of Falls Mill. Goverment bought everything but my place.

You need to relax ! Take a chill pill !

Here is my therory on dealing with ANY government agency / person.

The answer to the first question or questions is ALWAYS NO! or any form of NO. reasoning? Because if they said yes it would require them to actually do something. by saying NO they are done , nothing further to be done.

No think back on all your dealing with them and see if you can prove me wrong.

Once you have a firm grasp of who you are dealing with and that they can only say NO for the first bunch of questions you will realize that it is fruitless to proceed and you are dealing with incompetants.

Did you tell them that you were broke and that you also had to prioritize things and that pulling weeds wasn't on the near horizon and friggen time soon.

Their job is to frustrate you so you go away and give up.

IS ANY OF THIS SOUNDING VAGUELY FAMILLIAR?

Sorry to share my therory but I just thought I should let you know what you are dealing with.

Do you have a city mayor? You need to bypass the office staff and go directly to the top. We live in a very small town in OK, and Phil has learned when he wants anything done he goes to city hall and talks to the mayor. He doesn't go to our local council person, she just irrates us, he goes to the mayor directly. Our street light went out, he went to the mayor and that week a crew was out replacing the light. We had a couple of pot holes in our subdivision, again he went to the mayor, that took a couple of weeks but the two pot holes he complained about were filled, the other pot holes in in the subdivision were never touched, only the ones he told the mayor about.

I don't have a city. I don't have a town. I don't have a community. I'm stranded out in the country on 4 acre's with just my family so I cut my own trees. Closest neighbor not family is 1/4 mile away.My camp just down the road is the only house in the community limits of Falls Mill. Goverment bought everything but my place.

You lucky Sonuvagun!:smile5:

Seems to me now would be a fine time to chop that tree down. They told you to, didn't they? Show some public spirit!

Move the vehicles, then fell that thing right across the road and leave it. Of course if you have a fireplace you can cut it up. Won't take more than a few days. Either way I'd suggest mowing first. It's all part of the beautification project, you know. Besides, it's easier before there's a tree laying in the way.

Here's some step by step instructions. Just remember to keep repeating the phrase "That's what they told me to do."

seems to me now would be a fine time to chop that tree down. They told you to, didn't they? Show some public spirit!

Move the vehicles, then fell that thing right across the road and leave it. Of course if you have a fireplace you can cut it up. Won't take more than a few days. Either way i'd suggest mowing first. It's all part of the beautification project, you know. Besides, it's easier before there's a tree laying in the way.

here's some step by step instructions. Just remember to keep repeating the phrase "that's what they told me to do."

call that lady back and get it on tape when she said you needed to cut it down, or get her recomendation in writing...then drop that tree / limb across the road like was said before.....

That's why I live in the country. The city sucks.

Ditto, same here. Our "Mayor" across the street (ask Squidley!) carries the local armory in his basement. We have 24 hour security and no crime along our road. The only thing we have to watch for is the unlawfull annexation from the "metropolis" (wannabe) down the road. We're already taking steps to mitigate THAT.

Dan

Thats why I live in the boonies 3 mile to the closest neighbor 1.5 mile from the first locked gate in between a 47 square mile ranch and a 70 square mile ranch no chance of neighbors.

As suggested in a previous post I would cut that tree down and if it didn't fall in the street I would drag it there. When they came looking for me I would tell them I ran out of funds and would try to allocate funds in following years budget to complete the project.

Guest Boomerbiker

Joe,

I have been the city manager of Coldwater, Michigan, for 18 years and I love my city. More than 70% of the economic activity and job oppportunity in the United States occurs in cities and urban areas. I will admit that code enforcement is a part of the job of being a city manager that can be challenging. I do know that my residents enjoy safe streets 24/7 police and fire protection, beautiful parks and economic opportunity.

I also know from 28 years experience as a local government manager that you cannot please everyone, just as you cannot please your spouse, children, family and friends all of the time. But you sure can try and work diligently to reach compromise. We do it every day in our city. And although you can call the mayor of Coldwater anytime, the city manager handles 99% of all complaint resolution in our city.

The people employed by you local government have the same dreams and wishes that anyone does in life. To live in safe and secure neighborhoods and to have equal opportunity. We work every day to make that happen.

A different title for every day of the week. The mayor rides a brown first gen. Chief of police rides black. Judge rides a blue one. Hangman's got a maroon one. The undertakers has a broken frame. Warden rides a ????

Broom

She needs a Nimbus 2000 at least, to keep up with the 1st gens, for a 2nd gen, any old broom will do.

:stirthepot: :rotf::rotf: